Old 07-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 316/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Uncle moving in - keeping the balance

This weekend my uncle will be moving in with us. I haven't really interacted with him in years. Due to the economy he took a job near where I live and needs a place to stay during the week. He will go home on the weekends. When he first approached, I was like, you do what you need to do. Now he got the job and is moving in

I am very afraid that he is going to disrupt the balance we have around the house regarding meals and routine.

I just keep repeating to myself, "Don't derail, don't derail. You've been doing so good."

I know talking to him is going to be the only way - not sure he will listen. Just not looking forward to it.
quiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 AM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for posting. I think part of staying on course is having a forum to run our thoughts by others.

When I read your post the thing that spoke the loudest was that it is your house, your routine regarding meals and your plan for getting healthier.

Perhaps you can explain how important your lifestyle is and "set up the boundaries" from the very start. That is personal and unique to you and your family.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:39 AM   #3  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

I agree w/Lexxiss. I think the best course of action is to list the boundaries from the very start. It'll give you the comfort of knowing that you're both on the same page with regard to your routine. And remember, he's moving in with you. If someone should be compromising, it shouldn't be you. Good luck.
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #4  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I think if lay it out from the start it's reasonable to expect him to listen. But remember that if he doesn't, or if there's lots of problems that affect your weight loss, you have the power to stop it by asking him to make other arrangements.

He's family, but it's your home and you have a right to have things run your way.

Good luck with it!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think it's fine to sit down with him and explain how things are in your household (no junk food in the house, early bedtimes, whatever) so that he knows what to expect. Your daily life shouldn't have any great changes, and he should be wanting to be as easy on you as possible. You're doing him a big favor. Just don't assume he knows anything about how you do things, or how important it is to you. That's not fair. Be upfront, and tell him how it is at Chez Quiffy!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

Well, I really have nothing more to add but to lend my support. This is your survival here, so make your boundries, and stick to them. He may be as nervous as you are. You can do it!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #7  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiss View Post
Thanks for posting. I think part of staying on course is having a forum to run our thoughts by others.

When I read your post the thing that spoke the loudest was that it is your house, your routine regarding meals and your plan for getting healthier.

Perhaps you can explain how important your lifestyle is and "set up the boundaries" from the very start. That is personal and unique to you and your family.

Best wishes!
I totally agree with this.

Good luck!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote