Old 08-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #1  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 239.5/232.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Default What is Your Exercise Routine?

Ok, well I have read on 3FC that too much exercise on MRC is not good. So what type of exercise routine do you all do?

I would think strength training would be good to help tighten up after loosing weight quickly. I have not started back exercising yet, but used to go to a gym and do strength and cardio, but I would rather workout at home now. I bought the Power 90 DVDs and have been wanting to get into them, but I think they may be a bit much on my current MRC calorie level. Maybe I will just do my Wii Active. Any suggestions?
lmickley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 213\see ticker\165

Height: 5' 9"

They say that if you do weight training do not make it circuit (which I love and still do) so that your heart rate isn't up the whole time.

I push the limits
M-W-F I do C25K cardio for 30 to 45 min.
T-TH-Sat I do full body circuit training weights. I like to keep my heart pumping
Sun is family day and many times we go hiking
I go swimming with my boys at least 3 times a week and they like to race me in laps so that is fun and a work out.
and up until I just quit my gym membership I did Spin Class 3 times a week. Now I will be biking 1 hour 5 days a week in the morning.

They always blame slow loss and stalls on my exercise first. And when I see a stall I will make sure that my Sunday rest day is not active or I will tell the boys that I cannot race in the pool or the intensity of the bike ride will be less. That always seems to make the scale move.

When you first start exercising you may experience a plateau if you have muscle soreness. Your body will retain water to help the muscles repair. This is normal and you may even gain a little bit. Keep with it and you will see a bigger loss!!!!

I am not an expert, but I love to exercise so please ask any questions and I will find you the answer.
jeweliek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

i have been able to successfully train for a marathon while using MRC.....as my training has increased, my weight loss has definitely slowed, but now that i am into stabilization, i am hoping to continue to lose weight, given the fact that we are ADDING calories!! Last week i had a disapointing week however...i gained 2 pounds (in water weight). In anycase, i have just made sure i ate/consumed every last little additional calorie they would allow (from the supplements/vitamins/minerals to all the splenda, sugar free gum, etc, etc)... Currently i run anywhere from 45-60 miles a week on top of 3 personal training (strength training) sessions and 2 spinning classes.....They do however, measure my body comp as an athlete, instead of a "normal" person......On the other hand, i have been religious about exercise for several years, long before i started on MRC.....If your body isnt used to the exercise, and you try and start that while doing MRC, i think thats where some people have problems with the calorie levels, and not losing....just my opinion.... Good luck!!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #4  
Lindsay

Jewliek and Mkroyer, thanks so much for you input. I don't really want to slow down my weight loss, but I really want to tone up and get back into exercising. I think I will go with doing the Wii Active for a while since their routines combine cardio/strength and then maybe get into the Power 90 during stabilization or maintenance. I may also add in some walking.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmickley View Post
Jewliek and Mkroyer, thanks so much for you input. I don't really want to slow down my weight loss, but I really want to tone up and get back into exercising. I think I will go with doing the Wii Active for a while since their routines combine cardio/strength and then maybe get into the Power 90 during stabilization or maintenance. I may also add in some walking.

Thanks!
Hey Lmickley,
I currently do cardio 45 minutes 3 x a week (Run 28 min, walk the rest usually every other day) and do Pilates/Ab/Arm videos the remaining days. When I first started running, I was stalling alot on the plan. The consultants I was working with at the time recommended I not run, I guess they didn't know how else to deal with this. I was determined to keep running b/c I had just started the C25K program and wanted to train up to running a 5k for this year so this was out of the question. Finally, another consultant recommended adding another protein drink on the days I run, making it a minimum of 5 that day. THis seems to have helped and I've pretty much stopped plateauing although I'm not losing the 3.5 lbs/week I was in the beginning (tends to be around 2-2.5 now). I usually have one HNS in am before I go then one when I get back to replenish. I've lost a few lbs in muscle weight since starting program and they felt it was from the exericise. I've recently dropped to green menu so with less protein and calories I was concerned. We've agreed to check the Tanita a few times over the next few weeks to see if I'm losing muscle mass as a result of this, we'll see :0) You would think they would have a better way to analyze this, you know, a program that puts in all your stats, the plan, time exercising and type of exercise and be able to figure out the appropriate amt of calories/protein etc to most benefit you instead of guessing.... oh well. I'll keep you posted.

Karen
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #6  
Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen1234 View Post
Hey Lmickley,
I currently do cardio 45 minutes 3 x a week (Run 28 min, walk the rest usually every other day) and do Pilates/Ab/Arm videos the remaining days. When I first started running, I was stalling alot on the plan. The consultants I was working with at the time recommended I not run, I guess they didn't know how else to deal with this. I was determined to keep running b/c I had just started the C25K program and wanted to train up to running a 5k for this year so this was out of the question. Finally, another consultant recommended adding another protein drink on the days I run, making it a minimum of 5 that day. THis seems to have helped and I've pretty much stopped plateauing although I'm not losing the 3.5 lbs/week I was in the beginning (tends to be around 2-2.5 now). I usually have one HNS in am before I go then one when I get back to replenish. I've lost a few lbs in muscle weight since starting program and they felt it was from the exericise. I've recently dropped to green menu so with less protein and calories I was concerned. We've agreed to check the Tanita a few times over the next few weeks to see if I'm losing muscle mass as a result of this, we'll see :0) You would think they would have a better way to analyze this, you know, a program that puts in all your stats, the plan, time exercising and type of exercise and be able to figure out the appropriate amt of calories/protein etc to most benefit you instead of guessing.... oh well. I'll keep you posted.

Karen
Yes, please let me know how it goes. I am going to take it easy on exercise for now until I see how I am doing.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #7  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

Height: 5'8"

i've followed a pretty rigorous exercise schedule prior to starting the program (yesterday was my first day, eek!) and i'm wondering how it's going to go now that my calories are so heavily restricted.

i do three hourlong cardio/strength training classes per week and two spinning classes per week (well, sometimes just one--5:45 in the morning is too early sometimes!). i'd really prefer not to back off from those classes because i am not easily self-motivated to do workouts on my own and i crave the group aspect, and those are the classes that best fit into my schedule. plus, they feel really good!

do you think i'm going to have troubles? i'm thinking maybe if i just tone down my intensity during spinning and maybe use lighter weights and do the low-intensity modifications during the cardio classes, i will be OK. i just don't know.
leahruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 213\see ticker\165

Height: 5' 9"

If it were me....I would leave it the way you have it and make mods if you don't see losses. I think you will do fine
jeweliek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #9  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

Height: 5'8"

that's good to hear, thank you. i would be OK with toning stuff down, i guess, but it seems awfully counterintuitive, especially when i've been doing it for so long that my body craves the activity now! but i can see how it might be kind of problematic with the limited calories consumed. it seems like we should just be able to add a few calories here or there--i'm not going to, of course, but it seems like they would've devised a plan for more active folks, you know? like an extra cheese stick here or there, hehe
leahruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #10  
Lindsay

I feel good that I got back into some exercise yesterday. I did the Wii Activ for about 30min. I think MRC is right about not going overboard with the exercise. I felt weak a few times. But, my goal is to get in some type of exercise most days and not over do it. Thanks for all the info!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #11  

I just do the couch to 5 k run a few times a week . my sister is a personal trainer but she does more weights and strength workouts and some cardio . she has given me some workouts , I do them at times but change off.
rainflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #12  
Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainflower40 View Post
I just do the couch to 5 k run a few times a week . my sister is a personal trainer but she does more weights and strength workouts and some cardio . she has given me some workouts , I do them at times but change off.
Wonder what your sister would say about workouts and our calorie level on MRC???
Old 08-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 203/160/133

Height: 5'8.5"

I lost 43 lbs this year and then stalled out at 160. I run 2 5k's a week (more like jog) but definitely no walking. Last week I craved carbs so bad and I gained 5 lbs. Do you think I am exercising too much? I am still nearly 30 lbs from my goal weight. MRC told em I was not exercising enough and then when I started running they told me i was exercising too much. it seems they just want to blame me for the weight plaeau. They insist all the way through you lose at least 3 lbs a week. That was never true for me.(or for anyone else I have spoken to) Please let me know your experience. I am beyond frustrated.
truthteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #14  
Losing 20! :)

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5ft 5in

P90X! P90X!...My body is awesome! And in ONLY a week and a half! lol...
kiahna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahruthie View Post
i've followed a pretty rigorous exercise schedule prior to starting the program (yesterday was my first day, eek!) and i'm wondering how it's going to go now that my calories are so heavily restricted.

i do three hourlong cardio/strength training classes per week and two spinning classes per week (well, sometimes just one--5:45 in the morning is too early sometimes!). i'd really prefer not to back off from those classes because i am not easily self-motivated to do workouts on my own and i crave the group aspect, and those are the classes that best fit into my schedule. plus, they feel really good!

do you think i'm going to have troubles? i'm thinking maybe if i just tone down my intensity during spinning and maybe use lighter weights and do the low-intensity modifications during the cardio classes, i will be OK. i just don't know.
I agree with JewlieK,
stay the course but don't add more. I think if your body is accustomed to the current exercise routine it should be fine but if you add more cardio hours it may cause you to plateau. This is my theory, the running I do is new to me, I started this a few mo. into the plan so I think that is why I struggled w/plateaus. Let us know how you're doing :0)
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote