Old 08-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Question OT: How long can I keep my tongue ring out?

I'm wondering if anyone else on here has a tongue ring. I am having gallbladder removal surgery in a few weeks and they said I will have to take my tongue ring out because they will be putting a tube down my throat. I've had this piercing for about 5 years, but have never left it out for a significant amount of time. I heard the tongue ring closes quick? Anyone have any advice?
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Height: 5'2"

I'm not in my 20's but am familiar with piercings.
Would they allow a barbell instead of a ring? If not you may wish to look online for an insertion needle which may help you insert your ring later. If all else fails, I'd look for the most reputable piercer you can find to repierce the same spot when you can have your ring back. I had to take a ring out and the hole closed and I was lucky enough to have Jim Ward, founder of Gauntlet, redo my piercing. No pain at all. He's good.
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #3  
I wish!

S/C/G: 185/136/135

Height: 5'6''

My friend's tongue piercing healed overnight when she took it out. The tongue heals REALLY quickly!
StringBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

Wow I didn't know it would heal that fast, pretty cool!
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #5  

Well, I do wear a barbell. And they said it has to come out.
Maybe I'll just get someone to hold on to it, and put it back in as soon as I recover. I can't even talk properly, or eat without it. I've had it for so long!
Thanks for your feedback everyone.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/268/175

Height: 5'8"

The tounge is the fastest healing part of the body, but if you take it out just before they cart you off (They'll put it with your personal belongings) and then put it right back in after surgery, it should be fine as you're only out a few hours. Hope you have someone to help who doesn't mind you drooling on their hands! Haha, I've had to do it for a friend before.

Good luck, I had my gallbladder out in September and it hurt a lot, but it heals up pretty quick. Hope you heal quick!
shrinkingleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #7  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

It will heal up fast....I used to have one but had to take it out to have my last c-section, my husband lost it and it wound up closing up by the time he bought another one for me. It was about 4 hours total that it was out.

Since they are knocking you out a retainer wouldn't work either....it's a choking hazard if something goes wrong.

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 08-12-2009 at 08:36 AM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #8  
Wanting 2 b Smokin Hot!

S/C/G: 396/350/199

Height: 5'2''

i woulds just take it and put it thru every night to make sure the hole will be there
CurvaceousCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #9  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hon, you only need it out for the duration of surgery...the surgery is pretty quick -- if it is done via lap, it'll take about 45 minutes. Take it out just before you go in, and give it to whomever will see you right after the surgery, like a significant other or spouse or GF or BF or sibling. When they see you out of recovery, you can put it right back in. It'll be out for only a couple of hours, so you'll be fine I'm sure. And you won't be groggy for very long from the anesthetic either. So we're talking a matter of hours, not overnight and defintitely not days...

But it does need to come out because when they make you sleep, they'll intubate you and if the barbell dislodges it can be pushed into your lungs which is really, REALLY bad...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 08-11-2009 at 11:03 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

They make clear plastic flat "holders" that you can put in. When I had my gallbladder taken out my surgeon said the holder was fine. When I had my first knee surgery, the surgeon said I couldn't use the holder. The knee surgery lasted about 3 hours, then about an hour and a half in recovery before I could get to my barbell again. The hole had closed up by then.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #11  
Keep On Keepin' On!

S/C/G: 190/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I had my tongue pierced for over 10 years. I had it out for 2 days and it closed, and I just said, well...I'm 27...I think it's time. hehehehe...
hello pinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:48 AM   #12  
At 5:00

S/C/G: 207/195/120

Height: 5'3''

Oh boy! Good luck with that! I had that done about a year ago!

And I also have my tongue pierced.

So: They suggest all this nonsense because of hospital protocol and losing things and what not. I forgot to take my ring off during a surgery once and no one noticed. It's just because they're not liable for what you lose.

I had just gotten one of my ear piercings before the surgery and I told the nurse that I couldn't take it out, or it would close and, unless she wants to give me $30 to replace it, she's SOL to get me to take it out. They just taped it back. Tell them your story, though, in the mouth might be an issue. Make sure it's tight maybe, or possibly put in a retainer in case they're worried about metal. Otherwise, you're going to have to get it redone.

Tongue piercings close in approx. 2 hours.
wednesdaymorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:31 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

I feel you Luvja. I have had mine for almost 8 years and once I decided I was tired of it and took it out....I sounded funny when I talked and I couldn't eat properly. It was weird. I had it out only for that day and over night and it went right back in. SO i would suggest (like everyone else has said) to just take out during surgery. Soon as it is over (or you are conscious) put it back in. Good Luck
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #14  
Restarting my journey :)

S/C/G: 210/184/130

Height: 5ft 6

I've had my tongue bar since May 2007, I had my tonsils out in may of this year and I had my tongue bar out for just over 24 hours (I forgot to put it back in before I slept) and mine was fine! I took it out every day to soak in chlorhexidine and just put it back in overnight and I never had a problem with it. I guess it just depends on your body?! I think if you do as above and just take it out for the duration of the surgery it should be fine.
going2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #15  

Alright, thanks guys