Old 08-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 255.8/238.6/135

Height: 5'2"

Question Deciding what to wear

Tommorow I'm going out with a friend of mine I haven't seen in over a year. I had bought a nice outfit to wear. (Black pants with a nice white and pink patterned top) The top is not "tight" on me but it's not baggy so it shows my curves a bit and Im really self concious about it. Im tempted just to grab a t-shirt instead.

I know I have lost 30 pounds and haven't been this thin in ages, but still when I look in the mirrior I don't really see a change at all. Even knowing I have lost 5 inches off my hips, I still do not see the progress visually. So confidence is definately the issue here.

So what do you gals think? Should I take a leap of faith and go for the nice shirt, or should I just go for the t-shirt?
diesirae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Take the leap!

Have you taken a picture in the new shirt? I could not see a difference in myself until I took a picture and compared it to an old picture. Sometimes it is hard for us to see ourselves as others see us.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

My answer would be the same if you hadn't lost any weight - anything looks better than a T-shirt! Go for it.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Take the leap
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Go for it! I'm sure your friend will comment on how great you look
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #6  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Wear the shirt and know you look great in it. I'm one of those women that thinks extra large T-shirts and big flowing shirts make me look slimmer. I've had to really learn that isn't so and in fact it only makes me look larger and without any shape to my body.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

If you are uncomfortable in the shirt that fits but you normally wouldn't wear, then you NEED TO WEAR THIS SHIRT.

Seriously. You need to redefine yourself from being "worthy" of baggy shirts to one who wears nice fitting clothing. Keep the numbers out of it (i.e. I weigh x amount and don't see the difference and so on). This isn't about the numbers. It is about a shirt that fits well and you need to define yourself as someone who wears nice, well fitting clothes.

Step out of your self-imposed limits, break through, and wear the shirt!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Please wear the nice shirt. It fits, you said so yourself. It's just out of your comfort zone to wear something different. Trust me, you can get used to wearing more fitted clothes. Fitted clothing shows us at our best. I haven't worn a 't-shirt' in so many years I'm actually not comfortable in them unless I'm doing dirty work or working out.

Come on over to the fitted side.....
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Wear the nice shirt. It was something you bought just for this occassion and I agree with the other posters...I think you wearing it (and we know you'll rock it!!) would be a huge step for you in the confidence area!!
You work that shirt girl!
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Jump girl jump!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #11  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
If you are uncomfortable in the shirt that fits but you normally wouldn't wear, then you NEED TO WEAR THIS SHIRT.

Seriously. You need to redefine yourself from being "worthy" of baggy shirts to one who wears nice fitting clothing. Keep the numbers out of it (i.e. I weigh x amount and don't see the difference and so on). This isn't about the numbers. It is about a shirt that fits well and you need to define yourself as someone who wears nice, well fitting clothes.

Step out of your self-imposed limits, break through, and wear the shirt!

Kira
THIS!
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #12  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

well, you've gotten great answers. I just wanted to add that I recently went to Macy's and bought a couple of shirts and blouses that are to my size, fitted, that is. I'd realized I'd gotten used to wearing bigger shirts.

I've found it's like Pita says, the fitted shirts show off my curves and make me look slimmer -- and it makes me feel so much better when I wear them (confidence booster!) rather than a big, baggy blouse. I'll bet the new, fitted tops will give you more of a sense of the great progress you've made too. Congrats! have a good time.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5ft 7

wear the new shirt! you will look hot!!! i agree with the other ladies about being worth more than shapeless baggy clothes. you are a woman with a gorgeous shape and you should feel proud of that!!
Bonnie+J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #14  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Baggy shirts make you look bigger than you are. Fitted shirts make you look smaller than you are. Took me a LONG TIME to figure this out!! But it's true!!!!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #15  

Speaking as the queen of the skin tight 4X tshirts who still wore them 60 lbs later...they hide the new you! I wear button up shirts that are fitted now. They truly do make you look better. I just was hiding in the extra fabric!! Go knock em dead!
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote