Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #1  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

FLAB
I am in the process of losing weight ande exercising. However,someone said something very discouraging to me. I was told because I have so much to lose no matter how much exercise I do I will still have loose skin[flab].
Any thoughts or experience w/this?

Last edited by Tracy; 08-10-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #2  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

ugh. I hate it. me and my flabby belly........
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #3  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

There's no single answer for everyone. It just depends, mostly on genetics. Let that be the LEAST of your worries, seriously!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

There's a sticky on it here with lots of great info - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body...skin-faqs.html
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #5  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I would never let loose skin be a factor in my losing weight. After All that is why Spanx was invented.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have loose skin and am in my 30's. I don't have an apron but yep, despite hundreds of crunches daily and running--my tummy is loose as are my thighs. My arms look relatively good. My butt is saggy. Yep, being 100 pounds overweight definitely took a toll on my body. I started just over a year ago.

Don't let it dishearten you. Honestly, clothing covers it very, very well. Get the weight off, get toned and you will be amazed @ your transformation. You will learn what to wear, what not to wear--how to hide flaws and look and feel amazing.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

Height: 5'7

Well, there is a very real potential that there may be some loose skin involved. However, my opinion is this ~ I would much rather deal with loose skin and look damned good in clothes than deal with trying to fit my big arse into something and look not so good.
amynbebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

what is the person like who said that? I think it speaks more to their issues than yours...
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Honestly, most people who have to loose a significant amount of weight, even some who do not, will have loose skin. It depends on many factors, but anyone on this forum can tell you that loose skin is a fact of life for most of us.

I already know where my trouble areas are as I have one of those lovely hanging stomachs and the facts are there are things I can do to make things better, but it is inevitable in the end.

I used to get really upset, but now I just accept it as a fact of my life and that means one day I will be having plastic surgery to remove the skin not only for vain reasons, but also for medical as I have some skin issues and scarring I can take care of all in one shot.

I've sort of made peace with it, not quite, but sort of. I still get a twinge of negative feelings when I look at my body, but progress is progress. Being healthy is extremely important to me and right now I know things WILL get better and down the road, years from now, I can tackle those other issues when it is time. So, for now I don't fixate on it and just keep on trucking with my weight loss/life changing journey.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #10  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Isn't it funny how all of a sudden we become so fixated on loose skin when we decide to do something about our weight, but it never crosses our mind when we are sitting in line at the drive thru at McDonalds? Not to the OP in particular, but in general it really amazes me the amount of times I have heard that loose skin is a deterrent in losing weight.

If I would have worried about the ramifications of obesity as I was shoveling massive amounts of food in my mouth, I would have never become obese. Yep. I have loose skin. I don't like it, especially on my face and arms, but it's way more comfortable and IMO attractive than fat, and maybe someday I'll have a face lift or something.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Good points Lori--

One thing is for certain--my loose skin is WAY easier to conceal than my obesity was!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Isn't it funny how all of a sudden we become so fixated on loose skin when we decide to do something about our weight, but it never crosses our mind when we are sitting in line at the drive thru at McDonalds? Not to the OP in particular, but in general it really amazes me the amount of times I have heard that loose skin is a deterrent in losing weight.

If I would have worried about the ramifications of obesity as I was shoveling massive amounts of food in my mouth, I would have never become obese. Yep. I have loose skin. I don't like it, especially on my face and arms, but it's way more comfortable and IMO attractive than fat, and maybe someday I'll have a face lift or something.
I thought about it a lot before I really started to lose weight, years in fact, but in general I think it becomes an issue because when you start to actually lose weight as that is when you start to see things more clearly. Like I'm more "squishy" now lol. Does that make sense? lol I wasn't as squishy before hahahaha.

A part of me wonders though. For example, I recently saw a picture of a woman who claimed to have lost 150 pounds, but showed NO loose skin, not one ounce of it. Of course the picture was advertising some weight loss method... You know what kind of photo I'm talking about as we all have seen them. I really believe that kind of image is what people imagine when they see themselves without their weight. Loose skin becomes an issue because the basic idea of weight loss is that we shrink back, but when it becomes clear for most people that shrinkage has limitations that is when I think people start to feel things and sometimes panic. It becomes REAL then...a real problem something that you can't totally shake away. It seems like a natural reaction to me as we are more in tune with our bodies anyhow.

For me, I knew way ahead of time and started to feel things long before I started down this journey. It still bothers me at times as I'm sure it does everyone. I wouldn't let it stop me though...I also have the opinion that I would rather have loose skin than be 340+ pounds!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #13  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post

Exactly. I never once thought about any skin issues when I was eating all that grease filled food but I sure do now. I don't like the skin but it is a helluva lot better than all that fat.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #14  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Isn't it funny how all of a sudden we become so fixated on loose skin when we decide to do something about our weight, but it never crosses our mind when we are sitting in line at the drive thru at McDonalds?

Maybe we need a warning on high fat and high calorie food, "Consumption of this product will lead to skin stretching!"
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Yep, I've got it but I wouldn't trade my flab for the 86 pounds of fat that I have lost. A tummy tuck will take care of it. I am not going that route because of other health issues so I just conceal it under clothes.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote