Old 08-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #1  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Default For fun -- what would you eat here?

http://www.tavern17restaurant.com/menus.php

I'll be here next month for a rehearsal dinner. If you were there, what would you eat? I don't really see anything jumping out as the OBVIOUS healthy choice, so I'm going to have to make some modifications I think. (Hopefully we'll be able to order off the full menu -- otherwise this COULD get sticky...)

I'm still thinking about what I should get, but what would YOU get?

Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

For healthy eating, I think I'd get the Lavosh Bites and one soup - or the soup & chili sampler.

Even cream soups generally are lower in calorie than rich entrees (but there are exceptions, so I'd ask how the soups, especially the chowder, are made).

Several of the salads sound awesome, and would be fine with the dressing on the side.

The bison burger sounds good (I'd avoid the bun, or eat 1/4 of the bun).

However, for something special like a rehearsal dinner, I might also just order whatever sounds the tastiest, and eat very slowly. If I know it's rich and caloric, I would eat a fraction of the portion - usuall 1/3 works pretty well (seems to be the "magic" number for me, for not regretting the decision when I get on the scale the next morning).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #3  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
For healthy eating, I think I'd get the Lavosh Bites...However, for something special like a rehearsal dinner, I might also just order whatever sounds the tastiest, and eat very slowly.
Since you were willing to order them, maybe you can tell me -- what exactly is/are Lavosh?

And since you mention getting something tasty, one of the options I'm considering is getting the crab cake appetizer and then a side salad. I LOVE crab cakes!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/260/145

Height: 5'7''

I would take something like the Tuna tartare with a salad
willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Since you were willing to order them, maybe you can tell me -- what exactly is/are Lavosh?

And since you mention getting something tasty, one of the options I'm considering is getting the crab cake appetizer and then a side salad. I LOVE crab cakes!
Lavosh is an unleavened flat bread. Sort of like pita (but without the yeast because pitas are a yeast bread). Lavosh can be cracker-like (sort of like a large, round soda cracker) or soft and pliable more like a pita (but it doesn't "pocket" and it's usually thinner than a pita, but thicker than a tortilla).

In restaurants, when I've had it as an appetizer, it's either been the cracker type or a the soft type toasted until it's crispy. When I've had sandwhiches using lavosh, they've been soft bread "wrap" style sandwhiches. I've seen them on some menus "grilled" or pressed (like a panini), but I haven't yet had them that way (and I would ask, because often that's done by brushing the bread with quite a bit of fat before pressing/grilling).

I've bought both kinds in the grocery (Walmart). The crisp ones came in packages like wasa-bread does (also a crispy cracker), and were with the crackers. The soft style was in the deli with the other 'wrap" breads like pita, tortilla, and "Flat Out" brand bread (which to me is pretty much identical to Lavosh).

Last edited by kaplods; 08-10-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'd have the Tavern house salad minus croutons and walnuts with the Tuna Tartare- but it depends on if you like Tartare. I think it's pretty raw. But you could try the appetizer crab cake- that might be a better choice if you don't like Tartare.

I wouldn't get the crab cake main entree because it comes with risotto and Remoulade sauce. I think Remoulade sauce is full of calories.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #7  
the camera adds 10 lbs

S/C/G: 258/ticker/185

i would **** of have the chipotle plum bbq baby back ribs...and at least 3 beers and i didnt look at the dessert menu but i would have dessert...if there is any kind of decidantly chocolate cake i would have that...and a glass of port and some coffee with half and half....and i am totally serious,,,i hope you werent expecting anyone to say grilled chicken and plain veggies
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #8  

By the way, I love flatbreads, particularly unleavened because they're so easy to make.

The only bread we buy anymore is Oroweat Sandwich Thins 100% Whole Wheat at Sam's Club, which is a double package, containing 16 of the bun-letts.

I will make my own tortillas or wheat flat bread on occasion, but will make just enough for the two servings, or we'll eat too many. Homemade bread, even when the only ingredients are water, salt, and flour (corn, wheat, potato, just about any), just tastes far too good to make extra.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
i would **** of have the chipotle plum bbq baby back ribs...and at least 3 beers and i didnt look at the dessert menu but i would have dessert...if there is any kind of decidantly chocolate cake i would have that...and a glass of port and some coffee with half and half....and i am totally serious,,,i hope you werent expecting anyone to say grilled chicken and plain veggies
I AM a sucker for bbq ribs - and the cowboy steak looked really good too!

It sounds like a "rare occasion" restaurant, so I'd order based on that idea. Hubby and I eat out quite a bit (much more humble establishments) and what I choose at an "every-day" restaurant is a lot different than what I'd order at a "once a year" or less restaurant.

For our anniversary, hubby took me to a very nice restaurant, and I ordered the special (without checking the price), which from the sound of it, was very similar to the Cowboy Steak at this restaurant (the price too). I nearly freaked when the bill came, because I have a hard time ordering any meal that costs more than $20 (I start cringing at 15).
Old 08-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

I would have the salmon and scampi!!!! Even if it wasn't the best choice, it sure sounds good.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:54 AM   #11  

I like the idea of the Salmon & Seafood Scampi as well but would go with the Crispy Striped Bass or the Smoked Turkey & Baby Spinach Salad.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
It sounds like a "rare occasion" restaurant, so I'd order based on that idea. Hubby and I eat out quite a bit (much more humble establishments) and what I choose at an "every-day" restaurant is a lot different than what I'd order at a "once a year" or less restaurant.
My sentiments exactly!

When I go out someplace special I usually order whatever it is I really want, it's often a not-so-healthy option so I make a deal with myself that I can get it if I eat only a portion of it and then I have delicious leftovers too!

I would order the Cowboy steak (comes with gorgonzola, pancetta gnocchi, roasted baby vegetables & Maitre D'Butter). Mmmmmm. I'm such a sucker for steak!
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #13  

I used to think this way but I'm at the point in my life that everything I consume needs to be on plan, regardless of what's going on in my life. Straying off plans tends to lead me back to the yo-yo string. Whatever works for you is the best way to go.

By the way, I really hate I missed this restaurant while I was in Philly. Guess I'll have to catch it next time.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote