Old 08-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #1  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Default Weighing at the same time of day

So, I was too anxious to weigh this morning to wait for my usual weigh time, which wii fit says "Be sure to weigh at the same time each day"

So I weighed earlier, and then I weighed just now at my 'usual' weigh time to see if it'd make a difference, and it now says I've lost 1.1 lbs, which I will TAKE. lol

There were some bathroom breaks in the hours before that second weigh, to be fair. but maybe I'm less bloated now? My ring....I was able to get it on just now. It was so tight last night/earlier this morning! I hate TOM. it is eveel.

So, why exactly does weighing at the same time each day matter?
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #2  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

yes, that's the wackiest thing. I weigh in at about 8am. I can be 1 to 2 lbs heavier at 7am.

maybe it's bathroom, and respiration. seems like a lot of weight to be just that. I remember someone here posting her weight I think it was every hour over a 24-hour period of time, was kind of fascinating how much it fluctuated.

I'd be interested to know the science behind that too.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm going with the theory that its all about the gravitational pull of the moon and sun and a position of some unknown star in the far reaches of space.
I do know early morning weigh ins are less due to less water content being in the body but I've had the scale drop me as much as 3 pounds between weigh ins after my morning workout... now I've sweat and burned calories...but I don't think it was 3 pounds worth of either!!
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

I always do it at the same point in my sleep/awake cycle personally. I get up and go to the bathroom, come into my room and strip down to my panties, weigh myself before I have so much as a drink of water and get dressed. Because I've been asleep I haven't eaten or drunk anything. Because I'm about to get dressed for the day I'm stripping anyway. Plus it puts me in the right mindset for the day (which is why I do it daily even though my weight fluctuates). Of course this ranges from 5 if I'm excercising to 8 if I'm not, to possibly as late as 1-2pm on weekends.
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I weigh in at the gym before I get in the pool, with my swimsuit on. Sometimes like a dummy I weigh in after I am done too. (Yes, I am the reason there is a sign above the scale on the wall stating to please dry off before getting on the scale, so I am trying not to do this.)

I think the reason they say to do it the same time every day is so that the little fluctuations don't make you mad/frustrated/upset. I can't think of any scientific reason, but I'm not a scientist. I'm sure someone who has experience with these things could let us know? (rockinrobin, i'm lookin at you! )
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I don't know the science behind it either but I always weigh first thing in the morning. Even by late afternoon I will weigh 1-2#'s more than that morning.

By the way Lottie, so happy for your 1.1# loss --especially since it's that TOM and I know yesterday you were frustrated by that.

You go girl!!!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

The fluctuations would be the biggest impact. I weigh every morning after I wake up and use the washroom, time doesn't play into it for me but I think the amount of sleep I get does. I weigh only once and that is the weight for the day and I work with that.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I weigh after breakfast, because no breakfast = no bathroom.

It's important to weigh at the same time every day because of all the fluctuations that happen during the day - and my weight never fluctuates down! If I weigh first thing one day and later the next, it will skew the readings, make me think I haven't lost when I have. I hope.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #9  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Your body will weigh differently at different times of the day. Just like blood pressure varies throughout the day. If you weigh after breakfast, you'll weigh more than if you weigh before breakfast. If you weigh before bed, you'll weigh differently that when you wake up (8 hours of metabolism plus a pee or two during the night for some of us).

The idea is that if you weigh yourself under the same circumstances you'll have a more accurate idea of your progress.

Now, you also have to keep in mind that you'll weigh differently from day to day, too. Things like humidity, water intake, salt intake, TOM, diet, hormonal fluctuations and so on will cause weight differences from day to day. Which is why some prefer to weigh weekly... same day, same circumstances ... to get an idea of where they are headed, weight-wise.

It matters in a relative sense if you want to be as accurate as you can be with respect to your weight trend as all you can really control is your diet and the circumstances under which you weigh in. TOM, hormonal fluctuations, water retention due to weather and so on are really not within one's power to affect. And I know some that play the game of multiple daily weighing to get the lowest number, which creates stress because the NEXT day they don't want to weigh any MORE, so they are on and off the scales all day long in search of the magical number. SO unproductive IMHO, but that's just me...

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/ticker/148?

Height: 5'3"

I am another one voting for a reasonable explanation for this. Sunday is my official weigh in day, I weigh when I get to work, but that one doesn't count, I weigh myself right before lunch and I am usually 1/2 pound lighter. I have always counted the before lunch weight, and it is almost always 1/2 pound lighter.

I should get a raise if I am working hard enough to lose 1/2 pound in a few hours!!
roundpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

I am another one who weighs more when they wake up than I do later! I have done it several times and there is always a difference of a pound or pound and a half. I don't know why but I take the later weight for my records!
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #12  

Height: 5'11"

I weigh right after I wake up and go potty, in my undies only. The main reason I do this--because my breakfast will add to my weight! I don't want to know what my cheerios, bananas and tea weighs! I know it will add a pound or two so that's why I weigh before breakfast, before a drink of water, etc. I need every partial pound in my favor that I can get! LOL.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #13  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
I weigh right after I wake up and go potty, in my undies only. The main reason I do this--because my breakfast will add to my weight! I don't want to know what my cheerios, bananas and tea weighs! I know it will add a pound or two so that's why I weigh before breakfast, before a drink of water, etc. I need every partial pound in my favor that I can get! LOL.
me too! lolol!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #14  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
Your body will weigh differently at different times of the day. Just like blood pressure varies throughout the day. If you weigh after breakfast, you'll weigh more than if you weigh before breakfast. If you weigh before bed, you'll weigh differently that when you wake up (8 hours of metabolism plus a pee or two during the night for some of us).

The idea is that if you weigh yourself under the same circumstances you'll have a more accurate idea of your progress.

Now, you also have to keep in mind that you'll weigh differently from day to day, too. Things like humidity, water intake, salt intake, TOM, diet, hormonal fluctuations and so on will cause weight differences from day to day. Which is why some prefer to weigh weekly... same day, same circumstances ... to get an idea of where they are headed, weight-wise.

It matters in a relative sense if you want to be as accurate as you can be with respect to your weight trend as all you can really control is your diet and the circumstances under which you weigh in. TOM, hormonal fluctuations, water retention due to weather and so on are really not within one's power to affect. And I know some that play the game of multiple daily weighing to get the lowest number, which creates stress because the NEXT day they don't want to weigh any MORE, so they are on and off the scales all day long in search of the magical number. SO unproductive IMHO, but that's just me...

Kira

This is sorta like how I can get with the scale. I had starting obsessingly weighing myself, up to 20 times a day and literally driving myself bonkers with the daily fluctuations. It was causing me to get very frustrated and go off plan. Now I refuse to let the scale rule me and I weigh when I get the urge which seems to be about once every week or two. I am much happier with it. When I do weigh, I am in my undies but I tend to weigh less in the evening though I am not sure why but I go with it
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

So, I just got done searching Google for a scientific answer. And I really didn't find one.

The best I came up with is that weighing yourself at the same time - whether is be every day or every week - is important so that your measurements are relative to each other. Which seems to make sense.

That being said, I read that it's also important to weigh under the same circumstances each time, such as in the same shirt and shorts, etc.

Another thing that made sense was that in the morning, after using the bathroom, on an empty stomach, is the most consistent time you can weigh in.

Which it sounds like most of us are doing this anyway..

Personally, I can only weigh in once or twice a week. Seeing the scale fluctuate too much gets me down!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote