Old 08-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #1  

Default Whoo!(plus a question)

After the last thread being kind of a downer(thank you for all the kinds words of support and encouragement! <3), I was packing for clothes for my coming semester and decided to try on my Old Navy low rise 16s, which due to my more hourglass shape fit smaller than the normal jeans. In these low rise 16s, I am a 14 in jeans that hit the more natural, smaller part of my waist. Previously, after I gained about 20 pounds from January 2008 until October 2008, I could barely get those jeans over my patootie. Now, I can zip them up again and even though the result makes the phrase "muffin top" seem like an understatement, they still close! . That, in addition to all of your wonderful words of kindness, are EXACTLY the encouragement I needed! Thank you!

P.S. I have a question about staying O.P. in an airport while traveling. I am traveling from 9:30 am on Tuesday to 10 am on Wednesday, which means a whole day of airport/airplane food! Any suggestions for eating healthily for about $10 per meal?
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Can't you usually ask for a diabetic or vegetarians meal?

I'm sure you could make a special request and either of those options would prolly be far healthier than the usual fare.

Or you could always pack a healthy lunch or something to snack on in your carry on?

Then again, I have never flown, (scared, but flying in nov!) and these are just ideas I have heard in the past.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #3  

Unfortunately, my dad booked the ticket for me and didn't request a special meal. Taking food through security is a bit of a headache... :/. I will bring some almonds and soy nuts. Trader joe's makes an absolutely amazing almond/macadamia nut/ dried cranberry trail mix that I might bring. But, I still have 2 meals in different airports to worry about.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #4  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

well if you're going to be eating in a restaurant, there is always grilled chicken and steamed veggies.

?
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I have never been on a plane but I just googled about healthy eating in airports and came across these, hope it helps some

http://www.cheapflights.com/travel-t...t-the-airport/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17856772

Last edited by Onederchic; 08-08-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #6  
~jus' being me~

I once flew from Australia to Hawaii (14hrs) with only my own snacks for food :-) Keep in mind I was on a low carb plan too so it was very hard but if you are calorie counting its so easy!! You can take so many portable low calaorie snacks if carbs are not a concern.

For the plane you could pack in little zip lock baggies, so its all portion controlled:

- nuts
- protein bars
- dried fruit
- crackers
- other low calorie snacks
- cut up carrots & some string cheese (I would eat these earlier in the flight than later!)

I know this isnt IDEAL eating but its better than falling into packets of chips. Any food that you like that fits into your calorie/food budget would work.

The other thing I did was make sure that I ate a good meal before I left home - protein rich so that I wasnt starving 2 minutes later. And drank a tonne of water on the plane.

There is no rule that says you have to eat every 2 minutes just bcos you are on a plane (as it seems when you are on a plane! and they feed you every time you look up!).

Keep checking to see if you are hungry. I usually eat less when I am travelling - but I am a sicko and love flying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The excitement of taking a trip seems to take away some of the need to snack.

At the airport depending on the time you are there -

- grilled chicken salads - even from McD's - you could pack your own dressing and bring with you, not sure if they have low fatvarieties
- grilled fish tacos
- you can always find a stand selling fresh fruit
- eggs - the McD's ones arent IDEAL but still better than some other things you can find
- tea/coffee . . . skim milk!
- here you can order a whole weat or plain english muffin from McD's - basically the ones they use for the sausage and egg mcmuffin without all the fillings. Then you can eat it just toasted or put on a small amount of peanut butter etc
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I follow a vegan diet and although airport food is rough, I can often get a veggie sandwich or even a bean and veggie burrito. Don't settle on one food court, especially if you have time between flights. You can also see what gate you'll most likely be flying into and see what food options are there.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Yeah about the jeans!

About the traveling - I would take as much of my food with me as possible. What you can find varies so much between airports and even terminals. I always want to eat as little as possible when flying anyway. So far, I have avoided plane restrooms!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 316/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I'd also look for anyone that does sandwiches (not knowing your plan), you'll be able to order it dry or with mustard and it would be better than burger and fries.

If they have a subway, that's where I'd be headed.
quiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #10  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

call the airline and see if you still can't get a special meal, it might not be too late for that. tell them you have dietary restrictions and be really nice and say how much you appreciate their help. [a lot of airlines are charging for food now (sheesh to that, is all I can say)] I think the kosher meals are supposed to be healthier. even a regular meal isn't a huge deal breaker usually, calorie wise. chicken, rice, veggie (like greenbeans) a roll, salad, a small dessert. in other words, plane food isn't like eating out at Chili's. heh heh.

most restuarants in airports now how something you can pick that isn't horrendous (salad like, as long as you avoid heavy dressing). and there's usually some kind of fresh fruit. (all way overpriced, I agree if you can bring you're own stuff, it's even better.)

drink lots of water (I always get dehydrated when I fly, plus it's supposed to help with jet lag, I think...anyway, it can't hurt!).

you mentioned about taking a scale with you, you might want to just buy one once you get there. I'm sure you could find one cheap and then you won't have to worry about lugging something like that back and forth.

have a great time!

congrats on the jeans, too!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #11  

These are all great tips! I'm going on a Trader Joe's run tonight to get snack foods and there's this amazing soy jerky you can find at organic stores that I would love to find. My food is limited because I don't eat cheese or many dairy products, but I'm sure I'll find something. I want those jeans to fit well!

I'm starting to get super pumped and nervous now. My scale is super-light and flat, but I'll see. As lame as this sounds, I want one in pounds, not kilograms.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #12  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachykeen62 View Post
I'm starting to get super pumped and nervous now. My scale is super-light and flat, but I'll see. As lame as this sounds, I want one in pounds, not kilograms.
doesn't sound lame. I can understand, the mental part of seeing it in pounds. You're making me feel excited. Have a great trip, I hope you'll be able to check in and tell us how everything's going.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #13  
~jus' being me~

Have a good trip!!

Kilo's are great. You are cut in half immediately lol
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote