Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Carbs/Protein/Fats

Hey everyone,

I know the general rule of thumb to lose weight is 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. However, I was wondering if the same applies to all body shapes? I am an apple shape. I'm 5'2", and weigh about 155 lbs. I HATE my stomach, and my boobs are pretty big as well. I know you obviously can't choose where you lose your body fat, but does anyone know the optimal ratio for apple shapes? I'll probably be doing 5-6 sessions of cardo per week (about 30-40 minutes each session), and then 3-4 weight training sessions per week. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
LaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't think that is a general rule of thumb, I'm guessing that is the percentage from The Zone? Not sure.

There is no optimal ratio and definitely not dependant on your shape.

My ratios are about 60-70%/15-20%/15-20%
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/196/135

Height: 5'7"

I can't really say much shape wise as I'm more pear shaped, but when I was trying to get rid of "stubborn fat", I cycled and it worked amazingly well. I ate low carb (about 10% of my diet), high protein (40%), high fat (50%) 4 days of the week, at high carb (65%), moderate protein (30%), and low fat(5%) 2 days of the week, and "zone" style (40%, 30%, 30%) on my rest day. I was doing 6 days of cardio and 3 days of strength/weight training, so about the same as you. I dropped a good 2 1/2 inches off of my waist in 2 weeks.
cammieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #4  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

I have read that for your body shape, you should eat lean proteins & good carbs at every meal, but keep the starchy carbs (potatoes, brown rice, etc) in the first half of the day. Lean proteins & fibrous veggies (green beans, broccoli, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, etc) the last half of the day. I don't know if that works or helps, but there you go.

Last edited by HotWings; 08-05-2009 at 04:53 PM.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Thanks girls!

Cammieb: Wow, if I did that cycling I think I'd go nuts. LOL. I hate recording things the way it is, and I'd be constantly thinking about "what day is it...low carb, high carb, what???" LOL. I'll need to stick to one thing....for now at least. But that does definitely look like it would work!

Hotwings: I've actually read that too. Do you think I would need to eat fruits in the beginning of the day too? I know fruit is good for you, but I've heard conflicting things about how much fruit and when you should eat it to lose weight.

Last edited by LaBonita; 08-05-2009 at 05:08 PM.
LaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #6  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Here is what I do that seems to be working well:

5 meals each day with every 4th day adding in fruit or dairy and also adding about 500 cals more than normal on the 4th day. This approach is usually called zig-zagging and helps to prevent plateaus & keeps your metabolism from tanking:

Lower cal days: (I eat about 1500 cals these days)
Meal #1: Lean Protein + Starchy Carb
Meal #2: Lean Protein + Starchy Carb
Meal #3: Lean Protein + Starchy Carb (smaller portion this time) + Fibrous Carb
Meal #4: Lean Protein + Fibrous Carbs
Meal #5: Lean Protein + Fibrous Carbs

On high calorie days, I add in either dairy or fruit to the first two meals - I eat close to 1900 cals on those days. YOu also need essential fats in there (like extra virgin olive oil).. I do that one meal per day to get the good fats I need. It seems to be working so far. There is also something called "Calorie Cycling" - I believe there are some threads on it in the Calorie Counters forum. Basically the same idea, but the cycle is a little different. I like the above, because it is easy for me and after getting used to knowing the cals in things, I don't need to do a bunch of planning ahead of time, because it almost always works out to be about the right amount of cals. BUT.. I always, always log my food and count as I go... and in the beginning I weighed and measured everything. Still do that now and then to be sure my portions are still in control!

I do cardio 3 days per week and strength training 3 days per week. You are a lot smaller than me.. so I don't know if you would need to adjust the calories.

Hope that helps a little - and there are many ways to do calorie/percentage things.. that is just what works for me.

Whoops.. forgot to add that I also read that 45% Carb, 35% protein, and 20% good fats is good percentages for your body type.

Last edited by HotWings; 08-05-2009 at 05:49 PM.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #7  
#TeamFitness

S/C/G: 290/208/150

Height: 5' 6"

i've read that you should eat fruit in the begining of the day for your body type. and you want to do cardio 4-6 times a week for 60 mins and also do weights. i have the same body type. so your going to eat lots of protein then good carbs. and eat 5-7 small meals...i've been dieting all my life and now at 30 this seems to work. and i've read pear and apple body types are a bit harder to lose weight.
rookietrader is offline   Reply With Quote