Old 07-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #1  
300+ Chick

Exclamation Oh Sugar, Sugar!

Hiya all!

Back in the 90s, I had a email buddy that gave me a tip about sugar..real sugar. She told me that using real sugar for energy and exercise is a MUST, wether you are a diabetic or not.

In that year, I was on the slim fast plan and was successful,then gained it all back from a mental illness. I don't have diabetes.

Now I am using Real sugar in my coffee, drink real coke soda and am burning it off during the week/daily.

Just wandering if anyone using real foods/sugar for energy..sometimes, I drink a slim fast drink as a snack.

Thank you for your input.. Have a nice evening.
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

While I am all for real foods, and for sugar rather than artificial sweeteners, there is absolutely no NEED for table sugar in our diet period, no matter how active you are. Whole grains and veggie starches will do ya just fine.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep - your friend was a little misleading.

What we DO need to fuel intense exercise is carbohydrates...which are converted to blood sugar in the body. Good, complex carbs (whole grains, veggies, fruits) all pack the carbs that give your body easily available fuel for intense exercise, but also pack a big helping of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. Sugar is the carb part, with none of the good stuff that comes with eating healthy foods. I try to limit is as much as I can.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #4  
Workin' It

I use one tsp of raw sugar in my coffee in the mornings, don't add it to much of anything else, and try to limit the amount that I consume in foods.

Funny thing this made me think of... As you can see from my avatar I'm into Star Trek, and I remember reading one of the books ("Ishmael", if anyone is interested) back in junior high and there was a line where Spock thought to himself "Don't they know that refined white sugar is a poison...?" , then got cut off for some crisis. I didn't know if that was true at the time or not, but even now I think of that line any time I use white sugar.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

There's not much 'real' about that white sugar. Seriously, it is super refined, not something you need AT ALL. Stick to natural sugars in fruit/dairy.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #6  
Ready for final round!

S/C/G: 217/189/168

Height: 5'3

I cut out white sugar completely. Its poison to our bodies. Its unnatural therefore causes diseases and fat. Theres nothing wrong with natural sugars which you can find it in fruits, whole grains, and honey is even a healthy source of natural sugar. Of course I would suggest organic. Honey doesnt hit the blood stream all at once like refined sugar and flour does. The same with grains.
HeatherEljohari is offline   Reply With Quote