Old 08-05-2009, 04:12 AM   #1  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Default One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor!

So back a few years ago, during my dorm days, my friends (and fellow RA's) were a darned good group. We spent our weekends (and some week days) at our favorite bar, pouring everything and anything down our throat. Retrospectively, I realize that I did create a lot of amazing memories (which I'll never regret) but it also not only caused or increased a lot of emotional problems I was having at the time.... and most DEFINITELY helped me pack on and/or struggle to get off the pounds I've now been finally losing. But now, we've all moved on and I gave up a lot of my bad habit/depression drinking over a year and a half ago or more, and I'd say I've honestly only drank about 3 times in way over six months.

However, since I started my diet 3 months ago (and lost 20 or so lbs), I really haven't drank at all. I've become so strict on my calories and whatnot.... that I'm totally shuddering at the thought of drinking like a hillbilly on steroids this coming weekend like we're bound to do. Part of me can't wait to let loose and have a great time with my friends (some of whom are coming in from Cali and Wisconsin) and celebrate my birthday like we used to in the good ole days..... but another part of me is balking at the thought of pouring so many empty calories and carbs down my throat that I'm wondering if I'm even going to have a good enough time to make up for it. *sigh*

Realizing I'm only 14lbs from Onederland today PROBABLY won't help either.

I'm not a beer drinker, so that's not really an issue... but does anyone have any mixed drink selections they know are on the lower end of okay, calorie and carb wise? IS there such a thing?? And has anyone else gone through this.... wanting to let loose and have a good time with friends.... but having a hard time because of your guilt factor?

Last edited by starfishkitty; 08-05-2009 at 04:16 AM.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Starfish

I, too, am very close to onderland. I've decided I'm not drinking alcohol while I'm headed towards my first goal(199). I'm finding I do have the ability to have fun when I'm not drinking and enjoy waking up fresh and ready to continue on my weight loss journey.

I think when your friends see the new you after losing so much weight, they won't have a problem with your drinking something much more healthy.

I hope you'll get some good responses to help you make a decision that is comfortable for you.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 AM   #3  
~jus' being me~

I am also not drinking at the mo/anymore . . . my low carbin' friends who like a drinky every now and then drink vodka/soda, vodka/diet coke and rum & diet coke. I havent done the math on any of those drinkies.

Last edited by Madison; 08-05-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/162/149

Height: 5'7''

I'm a college sorority girl, so I feel your pain! and struggle with this dilemma every night of the week...anyway, though I do abstain most times, when I go out drinking, I usually drink wine, champagne, rum&diet coke, or just do shots of vodka and/or tequila. wine/champagne is 100 calories a glass, rum and diet and the shots i believe are around 70 per drink/shot.

avoid: anything with sour in it (especially long islands...my favorite), anything made with soda that isnt diet, margaritas, sangria, MOST mixed drinks, sadly.

but its definitely still possible to get nice and drunk and have lots of fun- just pick yourself back up the next morning and go run/to the steam room

also, obviously, avoid the drunk eating afterwards, always the hardest part for me...ive learned to be satisfied with a cup of hot oatmeal while everyone is gorging on pizza and BK
goodday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/152/125

Height: 5'2

One thing is, i bet you will find your tolerance has gone WAY down- i used to drink a lot more but haven't hardly at all this summer and i had a beer yesterday and felt it way more than i used to- so you can tell this to your friends if they ask why you aren't drinking so much. But also, it is much more efficient with the calories to have a lower tolerance ;-) Happy Birthday!
rosiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #6  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

I agree w/the rum & diet or vodka & club soda suggestions. They're the lowest calorie drinks that won't do too much damage. That said, I think you're forgetting one thing. You tolerance is probably pretty low. I doubt you'll be able to drink nearly as much as you used to with your college friends which means you'll probably be consuming much less calories. And spending less money !!

Unless you're drinking 3500 calories over what you burn for the day, you're not going to gain a pound. Your weight will be up probably the next day or 2 after just due to water retention/dehydration, but it's not long term & you're going to see onederland before you know it. Consider this just a very small detour on your journey. Good luck and have a great time w/your friends!
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #7  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I don't drink (anymore, haven't in years) but here is a similar thread where they discussed something along these lines if you would like to check it out

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...ks-anyone.html
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Did you know , you can actually have a good time without alcohol ? It's true.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Stop it! Having fun without alcohol is impossible and you know it! Seriously though when one goes out with friends and everyone in the group is drinking and getting a little tipsy, the sober person is usually a bit left out and that sucks.

Rum and Diet is about 70 calories a few of those could easily be planned into a day. I would limit drinking overall, but a few nights here and there won't kill you.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #10  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post

I agree!!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

My tolerance has gone wayyyyyyyyy down, so I bet it will take less for you too.
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #12  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayla View Post
Stop it! Having fun without alcohol is impossible and you know it! Seriously though when one goes out with friends and everyone in the group is drinking and getting a little tipsy, the sober person is usually a bit left out and that sucks.

Rum and Diet is about 70 calories a few of those could easily be planned into a day. I would limit drinking overall, but a few nights here and there won't kill you.
I have to disagree. I have been the designated driver more times than I can count. I drank strictly sodas and I had as much fun as and with my friends. But maybe that's just me.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

As someone who used to drink a lot, as the OP described, and who now doesn't drink at all, I just wanted to add that it is completely possible to have a great time without drinking. It really is! In fact, you can par-tay longer and harder--dance all night if you want--and not make quite as many stupid decisions...

Also, as someone who doesn't drink, I get to see just how ridiculous drunks are... In case you drinkers think no one else knows...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

One word. Chaser. Water (Ok, that's two words).
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
I have to disagree. I have been the designated driver more times than I can count. I drank strictly sodas and I had as much fun as and with my friends. But maybe that's just me.
Good for you. I mean that. However, as adults, there are those of us that LIKE to have a few drinks with friends here and there and Starfishkitty brings up a VERY valid point. Losing weight is supposed to get us to a healthy weight we can maintain for the rest of our lives. (*knock on wood, crossing fingers, grasping 4 leaf clovers...*) So it is a good idea to investigate what works for the individual if they chose to have a few drinks now and then. After all denial of something you really want is the surest way to overindulge. I think people sometimes are so focused on FOOD that we forget about what we drink. Not just alcohol, but juices, smoothies, coffees, pop...whatever. Sometimes it is easy to sorta push those numbers to the side.

It is too bad you are not a beer drinker because there are some really decent low calorie/low carb beers out now. Miller 64, Michalobes flavoured beers like Cactus Lime, Pomegranate Raspberry and Tuscan Orange Grapefruit and Michelob Ultra and Ultra Amber (regular beers). I don't even like plain ol' Michelob but the Ultras are good. Here is the website to check out nutritional info: http://www.michelobultra.com/default.aspx

There are plenty of other choices that are not beer of course. Personally, I can't have NutraSweet and I don't like artificial sweeteners so I don't do the "diet" pop mixed drink thing. I recently went out for my sisters boyfriends 30th birthday at their favourite local dive bar with a group of friends and some family. We sang karaoke, teased the **** outta him, danced around like fools and had some drinks. I just planned for it, drank a lot of water the next day and there was no harm, no foul. Now, if I were still 18-23 and going out almost every Saturday night drinking, those calories would be killers eventually...I lost a ton of weight after my oldest was born and I couldn't go out w/hubby and our friends anymore. Ironic in a way...here I was stuck in the house and NOW I lose weight and look better. That's the way she goes...

Last edited by irishsarah; 08-05-2009 at 11:04 AM.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote