Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-31-2009, 11:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 286.6/273.5/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Sweet Potato Question

I’m just now as an adult learning that I love sweet potatoes. Never ate them as a kid, but gosh are they yum! So I bought a few about 2 weeks ago and I want to bake them before they go bad, but I am the only one in my family who will eat them. How long will they last in the refrigerator after baking? Or can they be frozen and still be good to eat after they unthaw?
SweetMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:05 PM   #2  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

I think they're pretty much the same as regular potatoes as far as shelf life (before and after cooking). And I bought a bag of ready made and cut up sweet potatoes in the freezer section of the grocery store so apparently freezing is fine!
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #3  

I also just recently found out I love Sweet Potato!!! I had them trying to replace the regular potato and boy, aren't they delicious!!!
I had the french fries version of it... I know, not a really good choice, but it is less bad than the original version of fries!!!
They are so yummy!!! Who knew???
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 286.6/273.5/150

Fox - I didn't think about that. Guess it should behave like a regular potato. Thanks!

Belezura - I know right!? LOL .. We've been missing out all these years! I haven't had them as french fries yet. Think I'll save one just for that purpose. Do you bake the fries?
SweetMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #5  

I don't know how they are made... I had them at a restaurant. Can you believe it??? Before I never even knew they exist and now I realize they are out there... and so much better than the regular fries!!!
Try to find it... you will LOVE that!!!

But if you want make it yourself I would assume you just do the same way you do with regular potatoes... I would not bake it before frie... I would just clean, cut and frie... Let me know how it comes out...
hmmm.... now I want some
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #6  

They also sell sweet potato fries in the frozen sections at most grocery stores.

I also love buying the sweet potatoes in the microwaveable wrap (sold in the produce section). I pop them in the micro for 6-7 minutes, slice them in half, spay some Smart Balance, sprinkle cinnamon yummmmm, I've also added brown sugar to this and then mash it up MMMMMM
Deana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #7  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Just a note: They will rot in about two days uncooked in an airtight container or plastic bag. Make sure they have air to breathe!
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #8  
Ready for a Change

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

sweet potatoes...yum
LostandLonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #9  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

My favorite way to cook them is to cube them up like home fries, toss with olive oil, salt, black pepper, red pepper, garlic and basil and roast them in the oven (425 degrees or so) until they get brown. Soooooo good!
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/241/160

Height: 5'11

I am interested in trying sweet potatoes - never had them before. How do they differ from regular potatoes in taste?
Phantom Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Sweet potatoes have a similar texture to potato, but a taste more like winter squash or pumpkin. Sort of carrotty, but stronger.

I make oven fries, by cutting the sweet potato into strips, then tossing with a bit of oil or spraying with cooking spray (I prefer oil, because I can measure it and know for sure what I've used. Generally a teaspoon or two is plenty). I use a ziploc bag or a tupperware container so that I can really shake hard to get the oil distributed. Then I put in some seasonings (mexican adobo seasoning or ranch dressing powder are my favorite) and bake in a 450 degree oven until tender with crispy edges.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 193/See ticker/148

In the south sweet potatoes are usually mashed with milk, butter, and brown sugar. They are more like a dessert than a vegetable. I have substituted artificial sweetener for the brown sugar. Trying them prepared in a way that is more like a regular potato sounds interesting.

The oven fries that kaplods makes sound really good. I have copied the directions and plan to try this version.

Last edited by emileigh; 08-03-2009 at 07:41 PM.
emileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/ticker/160

Height: 5'1

When I'm in a hurry I pop one in the microwave for a few minutes until soft. Slice it open and drizzle with honey.... mmmmmmmmm
jab91864 is offline   Reply With Quote