Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #1  
At 5:00

S/C/G: 207/195/120

Height: 5'3''

Thumbs down There Is Such A Thing As TOO Much Pep

I just got back from working out at Curves. Recently, because they're short-staffed, the manager has been working afternoons (when I go in). Now, she's not a mean lady or a ***** by any means, but she makes me not want to go in when she's there.

She acts like a personal trainer. Now, I don't know if you are all familiar with Curves, but it's a series of machines that go in a loop and you do the loop twice. Once you know how to use the machines, you're good to go. Nowhere in my contract does it say the Curves staff will take it upon themselves to be my personal ****.

She never stops watching you and telling you to "GO! GO! GO! Yeah! Whoo! Put your arms up! Do that faster! Bend your knees more! Don't work so hard on that one! Keep your heart rate lower! You're working too hard!" I'm not kidding, she's never satisfied. I understand that she's trying to encourage all of us to try our hardest and do our best, but I hate that she's always watching me. I hate it so much. And the screams and cheers all the time. My GOD. I hate to say it, but she's like a cracked-up cheerleader. She even separated my sister and I so we could be one station away and monitored our conversation. It was kind of ridiculous. I like to enjoy my time at the gym and push myself exactly as hard as I know I can go. I didn't sign up for a bootcamp.

Am I crazy? Or does anyone else agree with me that there is such a thing as TOO MUCH PEP?
wednesdaymorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesdaymorning View Post
I just got back from working out at Curves. Recently, because they're short-staffed, the manager has been working afternoons (when I go in). Now, she's not a mean lady or a ***** by any means, but she makes me not want to go in when she's there.

She acts like a personal trainer. Now, I don't know if you are all familiar with Curves, but it's a series of machines that go in a loop and you do the loop twice. Once you know how to use the machines, you're good to go. Nowhere in my contract does it say the Curves staff will take it upon themselves to be my personal ****.

She never stops watching you and telling you to "GO! GO! GO! Yeah! Whoo! Put your arms up! Do that faster! Bend your knees more! Don't work so hard on that one! Keep your heart rate lower! You're working too hard!" I'm not kidding, she's never satisfied. I understand that she's trying to encourage all of us to try our hardest and do our best, but I hate that she's always watching me. I hate it so much. And the screams and cheers all the time. My GOD. I hate to say it, but she's like a cracked-up cheerleader. She even separated my sister and I so we could be one station away and monitored our conversation. It was kind of ridiculous. I like to enjoy my time at the gym and push myself exactly as hard as I know I can go. I didn't sign up for a bootcamp.

Am I crazy? Or does anyone else agree with me that there is such a thing as TOO MUCH PEP?

That part cracked me up

But on the more serious side, yes it does seem a bit extreme and I hope she calms down soon
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Maybe tell her: I appreciate the support but I'm not a peppy workout kind of girl. I'd like to workout more privately and talk to my sister.

What's she going to do? Kick you out?
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #4  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Wow that DOES sound a bit extreme. Separating you and your sister and monitoring the conversation?! lol CRAZY! I think someone likes their job a bit too much

But don't let that silly woman deter you from your workout plans.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #5  

Jeez, how annoying. I'd be uncomfortable saying anything to her directly--maybe because she sounds a little, uh, unhinged. Does she have an assistant or anything who you could talk to who could pass something along to her without naming names?
mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

You need to bring music and earbuds. Tune her OUT. That would annoy me enough that I would not renew my membership.

I am my own best cheerleader and I know exactly how fast or slow I want to move.

If she doesn't quit, you may want to politely say something to her.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #7  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

iPod!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #8  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

I wish you the best with that situation! I hate confrontations so I probably would never say anything to that woman and end up going to a different gym, lol.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 150/150/115

Height: 5"1

Omg- she sounds like the guy that stands at the red light selling newspapers on my way home from work every morning, he is so annoying. I have started taking a longer way home just to avoid him. The poor guy, he is out there rain or shine for 8-12 hours 6-7 days a week selling papers. We call him the newpaper stalker. He makes sad faces and points at you to try and get you to buy a paper.
I think if I were you since it may be hard to avoid her you are going to haft to go over her head, there has to be someone that can tell her to tone it down, she sounds like Tony Little on those infomercials.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I would absolutely start going to another gym. It doesn't sound like she is going anywhere. I don't think I would have the guts to say anything right now. I definitely would have said something after she separated the two of you though.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #11  
~jus' being me~

I left a gym bcos of that!!!!!!!!!! ha!! I like to be left alone when I am working out as its about me me me me meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and a place I used to go too they were TOOOOOOOOOOOO hands on and offering unsolicited advice. I just didnt care for it.

So I understand completely that sometimes you want to slap the pep out of someone
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

Height: 5'7

That just wouldn't work with me at all. Yuck.
amynbebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #13  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni View Post
I left a gym bcos of that!!!!!!!!!! ha!! I like to be left alone when I am working out as its about me me me me meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and a place I used to go too they were TOOOOOOOOOOOO hands on and offering unsolicited advice. I just didnt care for it.

So I understand completely that sometimes you want to slap the pep out of someone

Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #14  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

That would seriously grate on my nerves. I'd try to talk to her and tell her you appreciate her efforts to cheer you on, but that you find it better for you to concentrate on your own inner pep talks to keep you going.

Good luck.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:06 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

That sounds way annoying!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote