Old 07-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #1  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Default Do any of you have a recumbent bike?

I currently have an elliptical (the heart rate/speed thingy broke, battery leaked)

and I have had it forever. I think I"m bored of it, cuz I do other exercises but never that anymore, it's just collecting dust. I'm thinking of selling it to a friend for cheap and then saving up and buying this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4269099

It's a recumbent bike. My butt is way too big for an upright. :P

Do any of you guys have one and do you like it?
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #2  
unabashed

Okay, I was just told by a friend that recumbent bikes are bad for people with bellies cuz they "Get in the way" and force your legs out and then it hurts and it's not that good of a workout.

What about this? What do you guys think?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10850153
Old 07-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #3  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Do not listen to your friend! I love my recumbent! I have used it for years. My belly has never gotten in the way. Stationary biking is great cardio. The beauty of a recumbent is that you can read, watch tv, etc on it. My latest is that I listen to podcasts and play solitare on my itouch while I ride my recumbent. Is your friend trying to sabotage you?

Last edited by losermom; 07-30-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added info
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I've just started using the recumbent bike at the gym in the past few months. I never used the upright bikes, because, as you said, they don't accomodate large butts. The recumbent bike gives a great workout and definately hits different muscles than the ellipitcal (I still find it much harder b/c i don't work those muscles often enough so I'm trying to do it more). I haven't had any problems with my belly forcing my legs into an uncomfortable position, and I have a plenty big belly.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/272/169

Height: 6 Feet

Default Love my recumbent bike!

Hi! In 2007 I lost 80 Pounds in 6 months riding my recumbent bike 60 min every other day, alternating with the CLASSIC Firm videos every other day, and counting calories. I kept it off for one year, during which time I rode 50 miles in the Hotter N **** Hundred on my outside bike, as well as numerous other outside rides. Amazing feat as I had been overweight for so long.

Flash forward to late 2008-early 2009, went through most stressful time of my life, gained it all back due to no exercise and Dr. Pepper habit, 6-7/day.

NOW, I am all BETTER and riding the recumbent again for 60 min/day plus 30 min of weight training. I have the recumbent set up to where I can play pogo backgammon while I ride. I still ride it hard/fast and I am drenched when I get finished! Mine is a schwinn and it is very comfortable and has lots of programs. I have never had any problems related to riding, certainly no more than the aches and pains of being overweight.

Hope this helps.
RapunzelSOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #6  
no more hiding

S/C/G: 296/215/160

Height: 5' 5"

I have one, only cause someone put it out for the trash!! I love it. My belly did get in the way, but it didn't make my legs do anything funny, just that they hit my belly- I just used that for more motivation to keep going. It doesn't do it as much anymore, I hardly notice it. I like it cause I can kind of zone out and just pedal.
2behealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #7  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

I actually prefer an upright bike to the recumbent. I don't think that the seats are that uncomfortable on an upright... except maybe in spin class, but that's a different issue.

I would suggest that you go somewhere to try it out first. If you don't go to a gym, maybe try one out at a mall or something?
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #8  
unabashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
I actually prefer an upright bike to the recumbent. I don't think that the seats are that uncomfortable on an upright... except maybe in spin class, but that's a different issue.

I would suggest that you go somewhere to try it out first. If you don't go to a gym, maybe try one out at a mall or something?
This sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll go t Dick's and try out the different machines.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #9  

I have a Proform recumbent bike from Sears I bought in the year 2000, and I still use it.

I love using it with the guided audio workouts by Cardio Coach www.cardiocoach.com The instructor is very inspiring and motivating. You
use "perceived exertion" to adjust your speed and resistance, which is instructed through the workout.

Take care,
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I would definitely try various bikes and see what works for you. I used to use recumbents at the gym and at 350 lbs, I didn't have much issue.

Right now I actually have a recumbent trike/road bike and even though I have a tummy, I have no issue with it so I'm not sure how you would have issues with a stationary recumbent.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:32 PM   #11  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I agree re trying them out someplace. The recumbant bikes tend to tire out my back (no prob with belly).

I have a generous oose (behind), and I don't have a problem with the upright bikes (I prefer them too).

I suggest giving the arc trainer a try
http://www.ehow.com/video_2351670_wo...-exercise.html
if you've been using an elliptical for a while, the arc is a great alternative, I think it's actually a better workout, and easy on the knees.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

So I was on the recumbent bike last night thinking about your friend's issue. And I could kind of see having problems with handle bars and that same weird angle she discussed with her belly if you are shorter. My knees just barely clear the bars on the bike at our gym, If I had to sit one click closer I'd be hitting them. However, this bike has adjustable bars for just that reason. So that's something to consider when you try bikes: do you're knees clear the bars? are the bars adjustable?
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #13  
unabashed

Yeah she's short. She's like 5'2. maybe shorter.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:28 PM   #14  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

I agree with the consensus of not listening to your friend. I rode a recumbent and it was wonderful. In fact when I went to join a gym, I checked first to make it had one. I have a bad back and it is great support for my lower back. I also have a big booty even though I have lost a lot of it. Good luck and let us know what you choose!
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:39 PM   #15  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I just got OFF my recumbent bike, and am 5'2" with a big old belly. Unless the one your friend is riding is a very odd bike I think she's nuts and/or
sabotaging you, as recumbents are some of the BEST equipment for cardio and leg strength in fatter gals like me. No impact and no strain, nor are my privates being ground into a pulp, but I get a phenomenal workout.

I have a decent Schwinn model from Sears and it is just phenomenal - the built-in programs are great, it is built solidly enough that my engineer hubby was even impressed, and it is a genuinely fun but challenging piece of equipment to use.

I look forward to my ride every day, and not once have I had issues with banging my belly or splaying my hips/legs oddly. I could not recommend one highly enough and working in a fast-paced, moderate resistence 7-8 miles a day, 5 days a week (it's a half hour ride) I have seen definite improvements in my cardiac fitness as well as a step up in my weight loss.

I could gush about my recumbent all day long, it's the best fitness purchase I have ever made.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote