Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/226/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Why am I stuck?

So, I refuse to change my ticker because if I do so.. My motivaition will decrease even more and I will fall back into the whole, "My weight loss plan isn't working so I give up."

When I weighed myself this morning, I weighed 211. I understand why I went up a pound and that would be because I attended a Partylite party and indulged on some tortilla chips and salsa, pound cake cookies and bread and spinach dip. My exercise regimen also came to a semi-halt because I got a quarter sized blister on the ball of my foot and couldn't go out and walk my 1.5 miles like I usually do. I realize my failures and I accept them.

But that was almost a week ago and in the past few days I have been eating healthier

Breakfast:
100 calorie pack Crackers
A nectarine -or- plum

Lunch:
A Smart One 290 calorie lunch
(on some days) 100 Calorie pack Cookies

Dinner:
4 oz Turkey Breast (110 calories)
2/3 cup of Corn (100 calories)
Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich (140 calories)

And water, water, water ... no other beverages.

Also, on Tuesday I walked a mile and a half and yesterday I boxed my a$$ off on the Wii. Today, I will walk a mile and a half, if not two miles- maybe more depending on how my foot feels. I feel like my weight has kind of just stopped dead in it's tracks. I'm not making any progress. I have been at about the 212-211 marker for 2, almost 3, weeks and only dipped down to 210 pounds for a day and a half.

Is this typically? Is it typical for weight loss to slow down for a brief period of time and will my weight loss pick up again? Any comments are REALLY appreciated because I'm really down and out right now!! Thank you!
PatientlyWeighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

That's only 840 calories, which is too low given your current size and activity.

Try the calculators at www.freedieting.com to get a better idea of what you should be eating for moderate weight loss.

Surprising as it may seem, your weight loss can stall if you do not eat enough.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 246/See Tracker/145

Height: 5'7"

are you sure you are eating enough calories? I get less than a thousand. You hae to eat to lose weight. I typically eat 1200-1500 calories everyday and exercise on top of that.
daisy5819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/160/140

Height: 5'5"

I agree with JayEll, sometimes a slight jump in caloric intake kicks your body into burning more, believe it or not! Also, your body requires at least 700 calories or so a day just to support breathing and organ function, so 800 is a bit too small of a number, I aim for 1200 a day and we are at about the same place.
I didn't believe it either untill I tried it and it worked, not going overboard of course. Good luck to you, keep with it, I have hit a plateau every 5 pounds this time it seems. I say "this time" because like the food addict I am, I have lost the weight and gained it back a few times.

Last edited by justformenow1; 07-30-2009 at 11:12 AM.
justformenow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
That's only 840 calories, which is too low given your current size and activity.

Try the calculators at www.freedieting.com to get a better idea of what you should be eating for moderate weight loss.

Surprising as it may seem, your weight loss can stall if you do not eat enough.

Jay
I agree
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Very often when we have an "off day" as you described, it won't show up on the scale for several days. Which can definitely be the case with you here. It doesn't always work I eat X today, I see the results on the scale tomorrow. That works both ways, btw, - "good eating" and "bad".

That aside, I do think you MUST up your calories. How in the world can you possibly stick with a plan that calls for so little. We need to stick with this day after day after day. Week after week after week. Month after month.....

Yeah, you get it. Never mind that you're not getting anywhere nearrrrrr enough calorie/nutrients but how can you sustain a plan like that? It won't "work" if we don't stick to it.

Add in some more calories. And if I may say so - better ones. Ditch those 100 calorie packs. YOU NEED WHOLESOME, NUTRIENT RICH SATISFYING FOODS. The only veggie I see and it's barely a veggie - is corn. Eat your veggies. Eat your proteins, your whole grains, your fruits. Get the most bang for your buck.

With a little patience, some tweaking here and there as you learn what works for you and what doesn't - you'll have that scale moving downward.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I agree sweetie, you need more calories to tell your body "don't lower my metabolism I'm not in a famine". We are fearfully and wonderfully made and come with all kinds of mechanisms for survival. This is one of them that fellow dieters abhor--but if it came down to it, it would save our lives!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #8  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm with the rest of them, way too little food. With a fair amount of activity (mainly walking) I can still lose weight on 2000 cals a day. I'd keel over on 900 calories. You seem to think that 100-cal packs and frozen dinners are healthier, but as Robin said you need nutrient rich food, not stuff packaged in plastic. Add in whole grains, fruits, veggies. And, when the blister is gone on your foot, go look for a pair of shoes that don't give you blisters. (To be fair, I still slap a band-aid on the back of one heel that always seems to blister on longer walks, no matter what.)
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 249/230/159

I agree with the other chicks here. I have found that dropping this low sometimes causes me to binge or overeat because I begin to feel deprived and like I am starving. This has led me to eating too much of whatever I can get my hands on.

You might wanna kick it up at least another 4-500 calories and perhaps foods that are more filling for breakfast (than 1 piece of fruit and a pack of crackers) earlier so that you dont feel the need to snack heavily after breakfast or right before dinner.

Last edited by Traveljack; 07-30-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Traveljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #10  

Alrightttt. So the reoccuring trend I see here is, clearly, eat more calories and eat "healthier." My above list is what I ate yesterday. The hundred calorie packs are what I eat as my splurge because I love sweets but can't eat Oreos the way I used to. And I don't eat corn every day. I DO love brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauli flower, etc. And I eat healthy amounts of those for dinner--steamed, of course. For lunch, I will sub in some tuna/salmon or a left over turkey/chicken breast instead of my frozen meal. I don't always eat the pre-packaged "crap" if you will. However, what I can't come to terms with is the eating MORE. I'm on Topamax.. or Topiramate (the generic brand.) It made me go from a Hungry, Hungry Hippo to a.. well, not so hungry person. I really don't desire food anymore the way I used to. I have to make myself eat most of the time and food often times makes me feel sick. Along with that, I'm taking a vitamin that shortly after I take it, I have to force back vomit. So eating more just.. isn't feasible. And I've been losing weight on the calories I'm eating. The 18 pounds that I have shed so far was shed on the amount of calories I'm eating. When I added up last night, I figured I had eaten about 1,100 calories. I rounded up on a few things though, I think. But not by the hundreds.. so I was ballpark. I can maybe add in some more fruits and veggies throughout the day. I will eat extra portions of veggies with dinner and maybe an extra piece of fruit between breakfast and lunch and then again between lunch and dinner and see if that kicks my weight loss into gear again. Hopefully it won't make me feel nauseated though. But I appreciated all of your help. All of the support I have gotten at 3FC has been AWESOME and it really means the world to me!!
Old 07-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #11  
No description available.

It must be really hard to try to eat healthy with not much of an appetite. Since you can eat so little, it is even more important to make each and every bite pack a nutritional wallup. Maybe it would be helpful to shift your food viewpoint from weightloss to health. I'd encourage you to read Glory's very long goal post in the goal section here at 3FC. She changed her life by changing her foods to nutritional powerhouses.

Have you seen a nutritionist? Having such little appetite is a huge challenge and your body still needs basic nutrition to function. Good luck to you!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:23 AM   #12  

I did see a nutritionist. Her main focus was weight loss as well. That is what all of my doctor's go directly to. "Well, you're on the heavier side. You should consider downsizing portions and counting calories.." It's never about eating healthier. My insurance is changing over so I will likely be looking into new healthcare providers. But I thank you for your help.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I'd been plateaued for almost 4 weeks, and realized I had to up my calories by about 200 per day (I think you need to up your intake by about 600). It felt weird, and some days I couldn't do it and other days I had to add a little cream or butter to something to get my calories in but this week I'm finally down 1.4 pounds.

I realized it when I looked at my Sparkpeople reports and saw that the weight loss stopped when the calories dropped too low.

I also agree about packing nutrition into every bite. Crackers for breakfast don't do your body any good. Try whole wheat toast with nut butter or avocado for some fuel to last you through out the day.

And hopefully find a better nutritionist who can help you figure out how best to eat when you have little appetite.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #14  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

A couple of suggestions on top of the excellent advice already given.

1. Take the vitamin 20 minutes after you eat a substantial meal. It will help!

2. You are on the right track to add in more calories by sneaking in a snack more often. I also find that it helps if I balance my snacks with protein/fat/carbs. So, when you add that piece of fruit or raw vegetables, try adding in a few nuts, or a light string cheese, or yogurt, or ...

I know that you are losing successfully on fewer calories, but there is a good chance that you are losing more muscle mass and less fat than you could if you ate more. It really isn't only about the weight loss. Losing muscle mass is inevitable - no matter what - but you can adapt your plan so that you minimize the loss.

Try adding in a few hundred extra calories for a couple weeks. See what happens. I think you will be happy with the results!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #15  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
I know that you are losing successfully on fewer calories, but there is a good chance that you are losing more muscle mass and less fat than you could if you ate more. It really isn't only about the weight loss. Losing muscle mass is inevitable - no matter what - but you can adapt your plan so that you minimize the loss.
I think everyone had great suggestions, though I have to expand on the point I quoted above, that if you want to minimize or prevent your muscle loss, you need to eat plenty of protein (lean meats, fish, eggs are great sources, but beans, nuts, and dairy will also contribute some dietary protein) and lift weights regularly. People who don't do this lose large amounts of lean mass --anywhere from 25-50% of weight loss can come from muscle, bone, and connective tissue if you don't take proactive steps.

Don't make the same mistake that so many others do --hang on to your muscle, otherwise you'll significantly lower your metabolism and end up with a flabby body at your goal weight.

Last edited by Ija; 08-01-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote