Old 07-29-2009, 12:23 AM   #61  
Turtle Buddy

Smile

Hi, Everyone,

Ms. Meri--I LOVE oatmeal. I need to make some. I do steel-cut oats and they take a long time to cook, but they taste so much better. The thing is, you can cook a huge batch and freeze it in individual serving sizes. Reheat and you have way healthier "instant" oatmeal than the packaged stuff.

Thanks for the snack list. A lot of those would be terrific "mini-meals".

Bandit--here's wishing you some with your weighin.

, Princess, on staying OP and exercising. It's often tough to do when we're stressed.

Today turned out to be tougher than I thought it would be. My son chose a place he'd never been to and they pretty much do burgers and fries. They have other things, which I took advantage of, but they don't put much effort into the chicken wrap and salad. So, I was not feeling very satisfied when I got done eating. I'd already eaten one of the 2-point granola bars I brought. By 3 pm, I was starving and ate the other one. So far, so good.

Then I got downtown and walked to the bank. On the way back, Peet's Coffee & Tea called out to me because I was hungry again. It was the energy output for the day that was causing my problem. I went inside and picked a cookie that was pretty high in calories and fat, but most of it was because it's an almond cookie--which means it's also high in protein, and that's what I needed. I went ahead and ate it.

That would have been fine. But I walked in the door and dh said, "I bet you're tired." I was. I'd walked more than 2 hours. My pedometer didn't count it all, so I don't know the exact distance I walked. He said, "So, let's go to Red Robin." Red Robin is close and we live in an area that's mostly industrial, which means Red Robin is the convenient place to go. I shook my head, not really wanting to eat out. But I was super tired, so I agreed.

I didn't know what I was going to do and I feared I would really derail myself because I was too hungry and too tired. You know, that HALT thing? Well, they have their nutrition menu on the tables. It doesn't have the total fat grams or fiber, but there's enough to get a feel for what might work. Because I was so craving protein, I went with the steak sliders and substituted a side salad for the fries, w/dressing on the side. I ate one slider, which is plenty of food. When I calculated my points for the day, I discovered I'd not needed to use as many weekly points as I'd feared. And the activity calculator counted 7 activity points, which is why I needed a bit more food today.

All in all, it worked out fine. We need a smiley for: "Whew!"

Keep on turtlin':
Lin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 223/192.6/160

Height: 5'7

Morning all and happy Wednesday... not much going on here today... just trying to stay on plan and get my walking in.

Lin: Sounds like you had some challenges but did really well. Good job!

Have a great day everyone!
Princess
Princess1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #63  
Turtle wanna be

S/C/G: 302/240/170

Height: 5.4"

Wink Wed early

Lin ~ I looked for the steel cut Oprah is always talking about in my grocery store. I couldn't find it. Is it just in health food stores? You don't have to buy it in big old mondo quantities do you? What do you freeze you individual servings in? Just a ziplock bag? I will look again. What is the added nutritional benefits compared to old fashoned oats?

Weigh in tonight
so today is avoid salt day LOL
msmeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Morning, turtles:

Princess - you sound like you are really on track & motivated. That is great!

Msmeri - thanks for the snacks, I can use some of those this weekend when I am away.

Lin - good going with your choices when eating out. That is pretty hard to do when you are really tired & hungry. Good for you!

It is raining up here AGAIN - crazy this year.

Have my w/i tonigh & hoping to be down maybe abit. But I really don't think I will be up. Here's hoping!

Have a great OP day & lets keep motivated!
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #65  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi All,
I'm back from my WI and I'm going the wrong direction. I was up .2# ---not bad. Really watching it yesterday was a huge help. I'm three pounds from 30# down and I'm determined.
Crazy amounts of activity. Next week I'll be with my college roommates for a few days. All meals will be eaten out, so I'll have to be on my best behavior. I know I can do it. It's especially good that this weekend is clear. I can use the relaxation and the staying OP.

You all are doing great. This site has been hopping and I can't respond to all you've written. However, it's such a source of encouragement and good advice and great eating tips----I love you all!
Judy
234.6/207/204 and down to 30# down.
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #66  
Turtle Buddy

Smile

Hi, Everyone,

Thank you, Princess. I hope your day goes really well.

Ms. Meri, I looked in my cupboard to see what kind I have. Currently I have McCann's Irish steel cut oats. I've seen those everywhere. It comes in a metal can. They're expensive because they're imported. But next time I'm buying Bob's Red Mill at Whole Foods. Bob's is an American company based in Oregon and it costs less for the same thing. Don't get the Gluten-free, though. As far as I know, oats don't have contain gluten and the gluten-free is more expensive. My guess is that their gluten-free oats are processed with machinery that's not used for wheat, rye, or barley, to avoid cross-contamination.

You can cook them in a crock pot on low overnight, as well as on the stove. If you use the crock pot, you might want to at least double the recipe, especially if you have a large pot. You have to make sure you have enough volume so it doesn't burn. You can freeze them in Ziploc bags or freezer containers. I like the bags because they take up less space in my tiny freezer.

Here's a nutrition comparison:

Bob's Redmill Steel Cut Oats:
serving size - 1/4 c dry
calories - 140
fat - 2.5g
carbs - 27g
fiber - 4g
sugars - 0g
protein - 6g

Quaker Old-fashioned Oats:
serving size - 1/4c dry calories - 75
fat - 1.5g
carbs - 13.5g
fiber - 2g
sugars - 0.5g
protein - 2.5g

So, they have more fiber and protein and less sugar. They're higher in calories and fat, but 1/4 cup dry is too much after it's cooked. Steel-cut oats need more liquid than rolled oats and they swell up more. A half-size serving with some milk and fruit is plenty. I like to put cinnamon and vanilla in mine, and a touch of sugar or maple syrup. Enjoy!!

Good luck with your weighin. You, too, Bandit. I hope everyone has a good weighin this week.

Judy, .2# is a mere 3.2 oz. I don't think that's a large enough gain to worry about. I love that my scale weighs in half pound increments, not tenth of a pound. I don't want to get freaked over tiny amounts of weight gains that are probably nothing more than a bit too much salt for dinner the night before.

As for restaurant meals, I'm becoming a bit of an expert these days. I'd rather cook at home, but this week's been impossible. My best tip--lots of salad w/dressing on the side. Watch for things like cheese, bacon, nuts, etc. in the salad. If you're having a higher point main dish, make sure the salad is all vegetables. Eat it first so you're not as hungry when you tuck into the higher calorie main dishes. Eat 1/3-1/2, no more. And good luck!! You can reach that 30# goal!!

I walked 10 activity points worth just to do my job today. It's the last time until next summer I have to do the extra bit. I have 25 activity points for the week and it's not over yet. Today I ate a bit more than I'd like and I still have dinner to go. I'm not worried. I have weekly points left and I'm eating a very light meal tonight because I'm not very hungry. I think I'll be fine.

Keep on turtlin'!
Lin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 223/192.6/160

Height: 5'7

Morning all and happy Wednesday to everyone! Cloudy and overcast here but I can still get out for a couple of walks so that is a great thing. I was supposed to meet up with a gal to walk at the high school track, we both need a walking partner and are on a weight lose journey. She has cancelled on me twice so far, will give her another opportunity and if that does not work out then I will move on, I don't have time to play games... I have a "mother of the groom" dress to fit into

Food was pretty good yesterday but I did find myself reaching for snacks when I was bored so will try hard not to let that happen for the rest of the day.

Judy: You are doing good and will hit the 30# mark very soon.... that small gain is not a problem, you are doing so great!

Bandit: Good luck at your W/I, I am kind of eager for mine this week and I am not usually like that... LOL.

msmeri: How are you doing? any plans for the upcoming weekend? I will be picking lots of veggies here soon so feel free to stop on by... LOL.

Lin: I have had the steel cut oats before, they are good and very different from regular rolled oats. wow, you walk a lot oat work! When is your W/I day?

All: Hope everyone is doing well, have a great day and enjoy what is left of summer, it seems to be rolling by fast!
Princess1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #68  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi Turtles,
We've gotten long, so I'll start a new thread. See you all at #220
Bale of Turtles Kicking It!
Judy
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote