General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default "SUMMERTIME" and 'VOLUMETRICS'

Well, here we are -- it is officially SUMMER this weeked and it's been pretty 'summer-like' around here for the past few days. Time for a new start to our healthy-living efforts, gang --

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. I first discovered Volumetrics about a year or two ago thanks to the review on 3FC. After reading the review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us won't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Boy . . . I closed the wrong thread . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #3  

I am so glad to see this thread is still alive.

A few years ago (under a different name) I was a part of the thread, but unfortunately I didn't stick it out. I wanted fast results. Which I never got. I knew in my heart I had finally found the plan for me (Volumetrics), but because of other issues I didn't follow through. Now if I lose a pound a month and get healthier, I'll be thrilled.

Now I am much fatter and feeling awful.

I no longer have my volumetrics books, but know how to follow the plan. For me, I just ate mainly low caloric density foods without counting anything, just using the energy density formula.

I am ordering the books again through amazon.

Thanks for keeping this thread going - gosh it must have been at least three years, probably more, since I was here.
butterflyinprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

The last few days my DH's son, wife and 4 kids have been here. I have eaten lots of the wrong things, but I did manage to control the ammount I ate.

My DH and I ate 20 lbs of peaches over the last couple of weeks. I love the peaches and I think they help me stay on track.

Welcome back, Butterfly. I think this is a great program, too. Of late, I have been counting calories and writing it all down just to motivate myself.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #5  

Gail, thanks for the welcome back! It is so good to be here.

I know what you mean about peaches - this time of year they are so wonderful. And they're so good for you too. Eating peaches - even lots of peaches - never got me fat!

Until I get my books, I am looking through all the old articles I saved on Volumetrics. Back in 2005 there was an excellent article in USA Today about the program, explaining it very well. The energy density formula itself is very easy.

I work full time, long hours, and I'm going to be looking into the new natural Healthy Choice meals I saw advertised here on 3 fat chicks. It's actually fun for me to do the formula on different foods. This time around I'm having a total attitude adjustment about this way of eating. I know it's the only plan for me, so I'm going to make it work for me.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:45 AM   #6  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone! I'm glad to see the thread is back! While it was gone I had a hysterectomy, but managed to not gain anything. Now that I'm allowed to walk again, I'm hoping to start the slow losing process again.

How are things for you, meowee? I thought I remembered that you were having some health issues?
ArtCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Hi everybody! Glad to be back in the Volumetrics thread - now that summer is here, my consumption of peaches, nectarines, cantaloupe and other melons is on the upswing - as well as *fresh* veggies The weight isn't moving in any direction, but I started my walking again. I even throw in a few short bursts of "gentle" jogging.

Glad to see you all - Artcat, glad you are well - congrats on not gaining after the surgery! Just pace yourself with the exercise.
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #8  

Hi folks, I thought I would share - while searching on amazon for the Volumetrics books to order, I came across a book that just came out last month. It sounds like a perfect compliment to the other two Volumetrics books, although it is not written by Barbara Rolls.

It's called The Diet Denominator: Fill Your Tank for Less. A Practical Guide to Choosing Low Energy Density Foods.

You can search through some of the book on amazon, and it really goes into detail about the ED formula and choosing foods. This sounds perfect for me because that is all I am focusing on right now.

Have a great evening!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #9  

Butterfly, that is exactly what I say about peaches. I didn't get fat eating them, or cantaloupe either. LOL.

Well, Art Cat, I'm glad you found time for the hysterectomy while the Volumetrics thread was down. We would have missed you! Glad to hear that you are walking again.

I have done well with the eating today as long as I don't eat any more tonight. It is 8:30 pm, so I might not be tempted...
Old 07-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #10  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

After posting, I looked at my ticker, and the thread must have been down longer than I remembered, because my numbers are wrong. I get to drop them by 5 lbs!
ArtCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hello. I'm glad to see this thread. I'm a huge fan of Volumetrics. I found the book by Barbara Rolls last December, strategized how to lose weight, and started Jan 20 (2009). I followed the philosophy very closely and made sure I truly loved each of the four meals a day I ate. I've lost 35 pounds and just passed my goal weight (145). I'm on to 138 (Willoughby Athletic Weight). I should make it there before my vacation (woo-hoo).

I wanted to share that I just love jicama, bean sprouts, mushrooms, and bell peppers. These let me fill up my plate, soak up my home made sauces, and go a very long way to fill me up. Yum.

Can't rave enough about Volumetrics. Thanks so much for the new book idea (The Diet Denominator: Fill Your Tank for Less. A Practical Guide to Choosing Low Energy Density Foods). Can't wait to get it.

For me, I feel mostly informed but want to keep thinking about it, talking about it, and such. It keeps me truckin' along and enjoying the success.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #13  

For some reason, I am not too fond of Jicama. Love bean sprouts. It seems to me that mung bean sprouts make a pretty good substitute for pasta. They are quite a bit less trouble than spaghetti squash.

I am not giving up real pasta because I really want to enjoy my meals like Iradajnos mentions. I think probably meal enjoyment is the key to the whole weight control thing. If I don't love it, I'm not gonna eat it. I will end up seeking out less appropriate things. Oreo cookies, Rice crispy treats etc.

I will eat my real pasta the Volumetrics way.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #14  

Hi everyone! This is such a great thread. Let's keep it going.

irada, wow you are a true Volumetrics success story. Can you share, do you count calories, etc? As for me, after a lifetime of dieting, I just can't do any of them anymore. I even tried Weight Watchers Core plan (now called Momentum, I think), and that's the closest to Volumetrics you can get, but I couldn't stand to count those weekly points. Reminded me too much of dieting.

After a lifetime of counting calories, fat grams, food exchanges, carbs, etc. I just can't do it anymore. I always gained the weight back, and more.

I know there's lots of ways to incorporate Volumetrics into your eating, but for me I'm just using the energy density formula. This is not going to be another diet, and nothing is forbidden. I just know there are some foods I can eat a lot of, and some foods I can only eat a little of. I'm not counting portions, just using my hunger/satiety feelings to keep me in check. I'm keeping it as simple as that. This is the way I can eat for a lifetime. If I lose only one pound a month, so be it. That's 12 pounds less of me next year.

So how are you doing it? What about the rest of you? Special diets or just focusing on energy density like I am?

Let's share our strategies!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #15  

I didn't get fat until I was 40 years old, so I haven't spent a lifetime working on my weight. It only seems like it, I guess. I am just about have my 67th b'day.

I lost about 40 pounds. I, too, couldn't stand the idea of all the counting etc that Butterfly is talking about. I did fine and kept the weight off for about a year. At some point, I just gave up and went back to my old ways...I have gained back quite a bit of what I lost, but, halleluja, not all of it. I can't tell you how happy it makes me that I came to my senses before I had regained everything and then some. So, what I am doing right now is counting calories. I sort of like putting my food into fit-day. I also like looking at all the pie charts and graphs. Makes me think I am writing a PhD thesis about my weight. I think writing down the food is what really helps.

I am not sure what I should have done when I started to loose interest. What got me interested again was my friend talking about Weight Watchers. She lost 50 lbs and has kept it off for several years. We talk all the time, and I don't know why this particular time I was inspired.

When I was doing well, I was eating two gigantic salads every day. I absolutely know that those veggie and lettuce loaded salads kept me from eating other more calorie dense items. I put effort into making the salads and other meals look attractive as well as tasty. I enjoyed the creative-ness involved in cooking within volumetric principles. So, let's hope I can stick with it this time.