General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Bees! Anyone know how to get rid of them?

Some honeybees are building/have built a hive somewhere in my house. We see them flying in and out of a hole in the roof of our front porch, but we don't know where the hive actually is.

We don't want a hive in our house, but we want to make sure the job is done right and preferably without killing the bees. Does anyone have advice on how to find a reputable beekeeper to remove these bees and their hive? (Because having honey in the walls is just asking for ants!)
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I haven't a clue but I did google and saw this and thought I would share

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-bees.htm
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #3  
I wish!

S/C/G: 185/136/135

Height: 5'6''

We have a bee hive in one of the walls of our house. They have been there for years and we have never had any problems or ants. Please be careful as bees are endangered!
StringBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Look in the phone book for a bee removal service. There are many out that they do their best to save the bees. You really do want them out of the wall. They (and their hive) can cause tremendous damage in there.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'd google your zipcode plus beekeeper (zip + beekeeper) and see what comes up.

We have had wasp issues in the past *shudder* and had to use that raid spray stuff and it worked- but bees I agree I'd want to have them taken away rather than killed.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #6  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

last year we bought a new house, and went to tear up some carpet, and found honey on the floor...we soon realized that we had a bee hive in our walls. i removed all the kids from the house, and my hubby went to the locl hardware store and bought a smoke spray for bees....unfortuntly it did kill the bees, but when we got to the hive and pulled everything out..we had over 50lbs of honey. ppl figure its been there for over 5 years. the ants, and earwicks ect was horrible. this year it is alot better, no more ants or bugs. we had to drywall the spot and repaint it but it only cost about 50.00 to do it all.

pm me if you would like to know any other information about it

be careful they are dangerous!

ang
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

50 lbs of honey! Tell me you bottled and sold it lol
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #8  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

If you can.. Please call a professional service... they 'relocate' instead of destroy...

Last edited by Sweetcaroline; 07-28-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #9  

Height: 5'11"

We had a hive of honeybees in our walls when I was a little kid. The first night we moved into our new (100 year old) house, I was sent into the bathroom for a bar of soap. I didn't realize that the floor had several bees on it and was stung multpile times. Yikes!

We went back to the old house and slept there, and the next day Dad opened the wall. A beekeeper came and took the bees, but the wall was FULL of dirty, rotten honey. It was actually kind of interesting, but getting stung on the feet like that wasn't fun! (I was about 7 years old, I think).
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #10  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

yeah, i would do a google search for "beekeeper" and "apiarist" (the fancy word for beekeeper). sometimes apiarist societies will do these things for free or cheap!

and i think the easiest way that professionals do it is remove the queen. they relocate her and the hive follows! how handy!

i have a beehive and honeybees tattooed on my forearm with the phrase "The Sweet Life." this is how much i love honey and honeybees.

good luck!
painted lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #11  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Thanks for the info guys! I found a beekeeper online on eBeeHoney.com and called him up. He will do the "trap out" service for $300. Basically he said they put a screen funnel on the opening where the bees are entering the house, which makes it so they can leave but can't get back in. Then they put one of their own hives with some bees in it near the entry point, and after a few days of being stuck outside the bees will move into the new hive instead. He said after about 4 weeks you will be guaranteed that any eggs have hatched and all the bees have left and moved into the new hive. Then they remove the screen and let the bees go back in, and since they are loyal to the new hive they will just go and steal all the honey from the old hive, so you won't have any left in the wall. That way they don't have to open up the walls at all.

Right now we're thinking that's what we're going to do, but it's complicated by the fact that we were planning on having our house painted in a couple weeks! I don't know if the painters would want to paint next to a hive of honeybees!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote