Old 04-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #1  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

Wink An Inquiry about fish..

I had a question. I've been eating mostly vegan, with the exception of small amounts of milk or cheese in frozen products I buy (like Amy's). My family has been a bit wary/negative towards my dietary switch and will often make comments concerning it. I can see their eyes glaze over in horror when I invite them for dinner. Well anyways, I've been battling with the decision whether or not to go pescetarian. I caved last night when I found an all natural wild-caught Alaskan smoked salmon fillet for half it's price at a bargain store in our area (they commonly have organic and all natural food shipments. It's available as they get it though). I haven't heard many bad things (as far as personal health) concerning those who eat fish. My GF and I are debating eating a pescetarian diet that is salmon exclusive. By that I mean that would be the only fish we ate, and we'd get it organic ( or all natural), wild-caught from Alaska. Does anyone have any resources I could exploit about the health benefits or hindrances of eating salmon? Thanks for reading!

~Kimmy

Last edited by UrthWurm; 04-11-2009 at 07:48 PM.
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Obviously it is your personal choice as to what you eat. From what I've read, if you are going to eat meat, then fish would be the meat to eat. There are concerns about fishing practices causing negative impacts to the environment as well as mercury and other toxins in our waters which are concentrated into fish flesh.

If you are going to eat meat, I recommend looking at seafood watch for the best environmental choices:

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/c...et.aspx?gid=17 is the specific page on salmon
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #3  
it's always something

I don't have any resources to share, but just want to say that I made the same decision. I was vegetarian for several years and recently added seafood back to my diet. Now I'm leaning towards mainly vegan meals (not being vegan) but possibly with occasional fish. I gave up dairy and eggs and do not eat any land animals. I take fish oil anyway, always have, so eating the actual fish isn't much of a stretch

I agree with your decision to eat wild caught, too. I'll never touch farmed fish. I buy wild salmon and wild caught untreated scallops. I eat seafood once or twice a week.

There really are a lot of benefits to eating fish. Many vegetarians will take flax oil or other sources of plant based omega 3 fatty acids. However, vegetarian omega fatty acids must be converted by the body, and not every person has the physical ability to do it. I don't think there is any way to find out who can and who can't.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/228/145 (low of 221.8 '09)

Height: 5'7"

Salmon is good for you.

Eat whatever you want.

I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat fish, but you can eat anything you want.

Just, please, don't tell people you are a vegetarian (which is seems you won't, but this a general message to the world). I hate getting yelled at for not eating fish because "all vegetarians eat fish." People need to stop saying they are vegetarians if they eat fish - you are making life more difficult for the rest of us.
FatGirlTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:27 AM   #5  
Inspired

S/C/G: 275 / 208 / 135

Height: 5'5"

I agree, I'm a vegetarian and can't stand it when people tell me I can eat fish because they aren't meat! XD I never knew fish to be vegetables! lol!

However I have considered adding fish to the diet because even with supplements, I crave protein T_T

Wild caught are definitely the best! It's recommended by health experts because of the lack of steroids, antibiotics, and waste which come with farmed fish. Plus they aren't squashed or abused in tanks.
Minya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:19 AM   #6  
Inspired

S/C/G: 275 / 208 / 135

Height: 5'5"

okay, i changed my mind, i will not be adding fish to my menu because I just watched that Earthlings documentary O_O
Minya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #7  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

Wink

Lol, I understand what you mean about people assuming vegetarians can eat fish or poultry. I called in to a restaurant that my sweetheart & I were considering going to for our anniversary, & was trying to inquire whether they were vegetarian friendly in the dishes they served. All the hostess had to offer me was pasta before she listed off several CHICKEN dishes. That was a little frustrating. Thankfully my family doesn't make that assumption, rather they believe my GF & I eat nothing but beans and lettuce. As far as my decision goes, I still haven't made up my mind. I haven't eaten salmon recently, in fact I just made the switch to full Vegan and am trying to adhere to it. I suppose it will help insure I don't go out for breakfast anymore.

Last edited by UrthWurm; 07-26-2009 at 09:40 PM.
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 245/228/145 (low of 221.8 '09)

Height: 5'7"

So I haven't read up on the issue, but my friend who is a vegetarian said she hopes everyone who eats Alaskan salmon dies.

She's not irrational, so there must be something awful about it.
FatGirlTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGirlTale View Post
she hopes everyone who eats Alaskan salmon dies.

She's not irrational

That's not irrational? To hope that someone who chooses to eat/think/say something you don't agree with dies? Sorry, but I find that to be very irrational, not to mention extremely judgmental and closed-minded.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #10  

People often overlook the other oil fish that are not farmed, are in abundance, and frequently eaten in big fish cultures like Japan. Fish like sardines, mackerel, etc. Inexpensive, easy to grill. Wild caught salmon can get awfully pricey. Also, whenever you limit your selection to a single item you may be ingesting a disproportionate amount of whatever could be "not do good" in that item. Variety is the spice of life they say, and also a sensible plan.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #11  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I made the same choice years ago because of arthritis & thyroid issues. After a lot of research though I eat some wild caught salmon but primarily sardines. I know, weird (well not so weird for an Italian) but they have a very low chemical load, aren't in danger of over fishing and a high Omega 3 content. Make the most ethical choices you can and do what works for you.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote