Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

View Poll Results: Have you had GBP?
Sleeve 1 3.13%
Roux-en-Y 19 59.38%
Lapband 1 3.13%
Other 2 6.25%
No 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2009, 01:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 352/263.2/170

Height: 69"

Default Roux-en-Y anybody?

My body refuses weightloss no matter what. Even after surgery, my body is loosing weight more slowly than most, but I have to say that the results of this even work for people with my condition! I was really skeptical because the way my body absorbs things, it's just impossible to lose weight normally. I mean, not even 10 pounds.

What Roux-en-Y actually does besides give you the pouch is shorten the absorbtion track of your digestive system. It's been 2.5 months since I had surgery and I've already lost 57 lbs!

After going through the classes, I wold recommend the sleeve and Roux-en-Y. I would not recommend the lap band, especially after watching my surgery get postponed because some poor woman came in with infection surrounding the darn thing. My surgeon didn't recommend it either. He has a 99.6% success rate last time I ran the numbers. That was only 1 unsuccessful operation out of over 300 because it was an 85 year old man for whom the surgery was his best chance.

If anyone has further questions about the surgery or what you'll be in for, I'd be happy to answer as much as I can. They literally gave me a manual, so I can get pretty specific if need be.
skatardrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 253/253/209

Height: 6 Feet

57 LBS. is more that we could have done on our own and keep going... so be proud!
xbubloox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I voted "other" - I am getting the Duodenal Switch, which I'm assuming your surgeon doesn't offer since you didn't mention it.

Just a note: the weight loss from RNY is promarily due to the restriction (small pouch) with little to do with the malabsorption (unless you're a distal). In patients with type 2 diabetes who were NOT morbidly obese, they have done the Duodenal Switch without vertical sleeve gastrectomy (left the stomach alone and just adjusted the intestines in a DS, which has much more malabsorption than the RNY), and patients lost little, if any, weight.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #4  

I'm glad you're doing so well with your RNY. Keep it up!

I've had my band for 5 years (almost) and have not had a single problem with it. Different surgeons prefer different surgeries. That's why it's very important to shop around, research for a long time and make a decision based on what's best for your situation. RNY would not have been a good choice for me for a whole lot of reasons, although it may be a perfect choice for others. Are there days I wish I had the quicker weight loss RNY or DS would have given me - oh yeah. Do I regret my lapband? No way! There's going to be success stories and horror stories with any of the surgeries. Don't base your opinion on one doctor.

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 253/253/209

Height: 6 Feet

True, True....
xbubloox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I voted "other" - I am getting the Duodenal Switch, which I'm assuming your surgeon doesn't offer since you didn't mention it.

Just a note: the weight loss from RNY is promarily due to the restriction (small pouch) with little to do with the malabsorption (unless you're a distal). In patients with type 2 diabetes who were NOT morbidly obese, they have done the Duodenal Switch without vertical sleeve gastrectomy (left the stomach alone and just adjusted the intestines in a DS, which has much more malabsorption than the RNY), and patients lost little, if any, weight.
Actually, one of the biggest medical problems resulting from Roux-en-y is malabsorption. It has to be heavily supplemented with vitamins, protein, and calcium.

I just put 3 of the most common surgeries in this area. "other" is listed for other. It's neat to learn about other surgeries. I haven't read much about DS because it wasn't necessary to, as no, my surgeon doesn't perform them. He also doesn't recommend Lap Band because of the lower weight loss and the fact that some people get infections from it. My body certainly would. It doesn't appreciate foreign objects, lol.

Last edited by skatardrummer; 07-07-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Did I read this right? Your MD did surgery on an 85 year old man? Without success? Did the patient not make it through the surgery? Is he still alive but morbidly obese? Which makes me wonder what the point of the surgery was?

Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
Did I read this right? Your MD did surgery on an 85 year old man? Without success? Did the patient not make it through the surgery? Is he still alive but morbidly obese? Which makes me wonder what the point of the surgery was?

Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

Kira
He was going to die otherwise. It was a last resort. I don't know the full details. A panel of doctors I guess agreed that it was his last hope. Apparently the insurance company thought there was hope or they wouldn't have agreed to it. He died, btw. He lived for a month or so I guess and then died from health complications. It was not necessarily completely related to the surgery. He had other health issues and the best hope for him was to have the surgery I guess.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatardrummer View Post
Actually, one of the biggest medical problems resulting from Roux-en-y is malabsorption. It has to be heavily supplemented with vitamins, protein, and calcium.

I just put 3 of the most common surgeries in this area. "other" is listed for other. It's neat to learn about other surgeries. I haven't read much about DS because it wasn't necessary to, as no, my surgeon doesn't perform them. He also doesn't recommend Lap Band because of the lower weight loss and the fact that some people get infections from it. My body certainly would. It doesn't appreciate foreign objects, lol.
Just to clarify, malabsorption is not a medical problem. Malabsorption may cause medical problems without proper supplementation and follow-up.

Also, after about a year or two, RNY patients will continue to malabsorb certain nutrients, but not calories (this is in terms of a proximal RNY, which is most common; distal is a different story). This is why the malabsorption component of RNY is not effective for long-term weight loss, so the restriction (pouch) is required.

I chose my surgery, then my surgeon. I could had RNY, band, or VSG 10 minutes from my home, but I chose instead to go about 2 hours away to get the surgery I really wanted and knew was right for me. I would have travelled even further if I had to - there just happened to be a DS surgeon within 2 hours of my home.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #10  
Pat is in KY

S/C/G: 283/283/150

Height: 5'6"

Smile Diets and RNY failed...now doing DS

Have read the statistics. Failure rate for lapband is so high and RNY people usually gain back all their weight. This is true for me and many people I know. Had RNY 9 years ago and the pouch and stoma stretched back out. So you have to measure your food to keep that from happening. My appetite became so strong after RNY 3 months out, that was because they are now founding out that your body produces higher insulin spikes as food dumps directly into the smaller intestine. People who have never had problems with high or low blood sugar usually do after RNY the latest research says. I lost a lousy 30 pounds from RNY. Now I am going to do what works. Five years after people have had the Duodenal Switch, they keep off 85% of their excess weight! And you get to eat normally. The DS only absorbs 50% of the calories you eat and only 20% of the fat you eat! I have talked to a lady who eats 3,000 calories a day typically. But, I do believe regardless of what surgery you need to pick healthy foods. You have to take vitamins with RNY as well as DS. It is critical to do this daily. I am researching a great deal as my husband and I both are having this done. We are 57 and 130 pounds overweight and can never stick to any diet.
goincrazyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #11  
Pat is in KY

S/C/G: 283/283/150

Height: 5'6"

Default ds vs rny and lapband

Most everybody loses weight the first year from RNY. But as the stomach stretches out and the stoma, they slowly regain what they have lost. Not a good long term solution. The lap band is so bad that you can only lose 45% of your excess weight and half of that is regained, so my surgeon said that is a waist of time in his opinion. The DS has the best long term results.
goincrazyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

I don't care what kind of program or surgery you have, if you don't learn to change your eating habits or get mental health help regarding your dependency on food, you are going to have problems. I know many people that have been successful on the RNY and lapband. They don't eat tons of food (it is not their main focus), they don't eat 3,000 calories a day, they drink their water and take their vitamins and stay within the bounds that were set up by their surgeons and nutritionist for the rest of their life. I know people who have gained on RNY and Lap and if you watch them eat....they aren't really tasting their food, haven't made any long term changes (they did well during the honeymoon period) eat tons of food and sugar and fats are their best friends. Their surgeries didn't fail them, they failed to change to make the surgeries successful. I know of a few who have gained during with a RNY and have go back to the basics (lot harder this time around) and have lost their weight again. I'm not as familiar with DS, but know a few people now who have been successful so far. Same old, same old: They do surgery on your gut, not your head. There is no brass ring in WLS. My goal in wls after almost two years: No regain, eat sensible more well-rounded meals, and constantly tell my head that I don't need to live for food that I need only a SMALL amount of food to live. Believe me, I don't go without many foods, but I do go without big bunches of food.
JMOP
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #13  
Closed

This just begs the question, and I can't help myself, IF the surgery addresses your gut and not your head and your head is the problem which is why people gain weight after surgery, why not avoid surgery on your gut, fix your head, and lose the weight?

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 07-27-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Kira: Have you successfully done that? Fixed you gut and head problems and are no longer overweight? Why do people regain after they have lost 100s of pounds through diet and exercise? If it were that simple for most, it would have been so. You have been successful on your weightloss according to your stats, but I'll bet the majority of people on 3 Fat Chicks, can't and will never be able to say that. That is why the WLS is necessary for some people. The WLS gives you a fighting chance with a smaller stomach, exercise, mental health counseling and monitoring. I'll also be the average WLS patient has been on 30 to 40 weightloss plans before they ever get to even thinking about WLS. For those who have been bed bound or chair bound and hundreds of pounds overweight and just tell them to fix their head and lose the weight....it is redundant because it has been told to them many, many, many times. I don't know how old you are either, and when you have lived with a food-oriented head for over fifty years, gut altering seems like a pretty necessary thing for many.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #15  
Closed

I appreciate your points, but you yourself state that WLS is simply a tool. Not the answer. You can still have failure with WLS. And those who have it have no statistical increased chance of weight loss success.

It sounds to me that you acknowledge "the head" is the key, not "the gut". So why not pursue the exercise, mental health counselling and monitoring alone?

I am really trying to understand, because it is such a radical choice that doesn't seem to be the "key" to keeping the weight off. Your mindset is...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 07-27-2009 at 03:23 PM.