Old 07-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #1  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Default A little LESS efficiency please

In an effort to increase my daily physical activity outside of formal exercise, I'm trying to become less efficient on everyday tasks.

For example, I hang my laundry on clothesline out on screen porch and would usually take a basket out there, fold everything there and put in basket in piles specific to the rooms the clean laundry goes to. Even stack the laundry basket in opposite order of the rooms distance from the porch, so kitchen laundry (the first room as I enter house from porch) is on top. Then drop off each pile as I walk back through the house one time.

Today no basket, I grabbed one item at a time, walked it back into house and took it to the room it belonged in and folded/hung in closet there. Ok so I did take a whole pile of socks at once...

A little thing, but this resulted in 20 trips to and from the porch instead of usual one.

I'm also now carrying in the grocery bags one at a time. Any other ideas out there for decreasing efficiency? (this is SO not my natural way of doing things).
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

squats and plie lifts while you wash dishes.

kneading bread to build those arms.

walking or biking on errands.

getting rid of chairs so that you have to hover in a squatting position when you want to sit down.

hmm, maybe not that last one.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #3  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

aww, I was just considering that no chairs suggestion...
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 316/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Yes, I would like my body to be less efficient with the calories it receives.. it is ok to burn them to breath, shower, and other daily tasks. I promise more is on the way. - I keep telling it that but some reason it doesn't listen.

We are talking about getting rid of living room furnture so that if you want to watch tv you have to be either on the bike, treadmill, ball ... or on the floor.

I guess standing or squatting is also allowed. While not high burners, they are not as low as our couch.

Last edited by quiffy; 07-24-2009 at 06:19 PM.
quiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #5  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Wow -- kudos to you! I would go mad making that many trips!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #6  
no more hiding

S/C/G: 296/215/160

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiffy View Post
Yes, I would like my body to be less efficient with the calories it receives.. it is ok to burn them to breath, shower, and other daily tasks. I promise more is on the way. - I keep telling it that but some reason it doesn't listen.

We are talking about getting rid of living room furnture so that if you want to watch tv you have to be either on the bike, treadmill, ball ... or on the floor.

I guess standing or squatting is also allowed. While not high burners, they are not as low as our couch.
We actually put an old chair out on the curb last night to make room for the exercise balls in the living room! My children are thrilled with the balls and even though we managed to accuire two for three people, we still want another one. I never dreamed I would like something exercise related.

As for becoming less efficient I have been trying lots of ways. Mostly for me it is no longer asking one of my boys to get something for me, but actually going myself.
2behealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

yeah, that sounds like a good idea, but dont think I could be that patient, lol. Im sure you burned quite a bit of "extra" calories though. good for you
I always park farther away from the buildings and take the stairs more often. things like that always help.
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Wow! WTG girl! I had gotten in the habit of piling up my laundry on laundry days. Then when all of it was washed I would go put it away. Now I stand up while I fold it and put it away one load at a time. Do you do dishes by hand? Cause if not, you could start doing that. Do a couple dishes, put them away, do a few more dishes, put them away. Next, get rid of any "efficency cleaner" products (I used the Magic Wand reachy thing in the bathroom...trade that in for a good ol' fashioned sponge).
If you're really into less effiency, scrub the floor by hand (ick).
I still use my "effeicency" cleaning stuff, since I have 2 kids I'd never have any time to come chat with you awesome ladies but I have changed up a few things which has made a world of difference. The laundry for one, and like 2behealthy, I no longer ask (or try not to, its a habit I'm still breaking) others to get stuff/do things for me.
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #9  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
squats and plie lifts while you wash dishes.

kneading bread to build those arms.

walking or biking on errands.

getting rid of chairs so that you have to hover in a squatting position when you want to sit down.

hmm, maybe not that last one.
Excellent suggestions
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #10  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

This is kind of a funny thing...whenever I need to pee at work, I go up or down a flight of stairs to the bathroom on the next level, rather than using the one right outside my office.

Maybe the people on the other floors think I'm crazy when they see me appear out of the stairwell, go straight into the bathroom, then back out and straight to the stairs!

But it's nice to have a little extra walk every couple hours, plus extra calorie burning and bum firming!
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote