Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Default The dreaded plateau

It's official. I'm stuck. I keep wavering between 192-194 lbs. I'm eating well, exercising DAILY. I do 3, 3.5 miles on the treadmill and do Zumba 1-2x a week (depending on my work schedule). Deep down know that if I'm patient, the weight will begin to move again, but this is the hardest part of weight loss--working hard and seeing no results.

Any advice? This is the point where I stalled last summer, got frustrated/bored, and gained back 15 lbs.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #2  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

ChrissyBean, you have lost an amazing 44 lbs! Congrats! A plateau is simply your body's readjusting to your newer and lower weight. Celebrate it! Weight loss is not just about motivation, it's about consistency. Keep doing what you're doing--it's working.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #3  
video game junkie

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I feel your pain. I've been stuck for a month now. Scale just keeps giving me the same 3lb range over and over. I've tried adding exercise, decreasing calories, and I'm still stuck.

It's soooo frustrating, but I'm trying to focus on non scale victories instead.
Checking my measurements with the tape measure, trying on clothes in my closet that I knew were too tight and now fit.

And telling myself that the scale is just a number... it's the other things that make a real difference.
Lissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #4  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I plateaued at 99 lbs lost for 3 months...my advice is, stay on plan, shake things up if you need to, just stay positive and focused. If you do everything right the weight WILL COME OFF, just not on our timetable.

In my case, I think my body just needed time to adjust--I continued to lose size while plateaued, which is really far more important than what the scale says. Stay strong.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Just keep trudging ahead. Maybe try changing things up a bit, but remember... 44 pounds is AMAZING and the rest will come off too
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

How long have you been stuck? My suggestion would be to change the exercise and do something with higher intensity, muscles get really efficient really fast. High intensity intervals are great for that and you could do them on your treadmil. That's my two cents, but hang in there, 44lbs is fabulousness and nothing tastes as good as you look now!
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #7  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

If you are not drinking at least 64 ounces of water, I would up that.

If you don't do some strength training of some kind to really work those bad boy BIG muscles in your body, I would add some of that.

Then I would find something else to occupy your mind, stay on program and let your body catch up. It's like you just got rid of 1/5 of everything in your house; it's cool to have all that new space, but it might take you a while to get everything all re-arranged again.

Hang in there!
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #8  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Hang in there!!!! I've never been on a plateau (yet) but I've heard they are murder on the psyche. Shake things up food wise, try calorie cycling, try a new exercise routine... anything to make things "new" again.

Best of luck!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Thanks guys.

I've been doing *some* weights, but I reeeeeally hate them. Very boring. I love my treadmill, but I think I'll start some running mixed in with my walking (I usually walk at 3.6-3.7 mph) as I've heard that interval stuff is good for getting things moving.

I've been stuck for a good month now, I guess. I do drink lots of water, eat lots of fiber, and try to keep positive; my husband is really helpful here, too, as he constantly updates me on my shrinking butt and my emerging waistline. I should probably dig out a tape measure and see how things are going that way.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Been stuck for a month as in zero pounds lost? Are you counting calories? Have you been consistent through out? Is it possible you've taken in more calories then you think? Are you measuring accurately? Counting every bite, lick, taste and crumb? Have you had any off episodes? What types of calories are you eating? Protein? Fiber? Carbs? Fat? Sugar? Wheat? Can you give us a typical menu for a day or 2? Maybe we can make some suggestions....

I would also add in some muscle strengthening exercises. A simple resistance band is a great way to start.

With a little detective work, some trial and error and a bit of patience, I'm sure you'll have that scale moving downward once again.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/175/150

Height: 5'5

I too was suck for about 6 months! I was working out like crazy and could see some changes in my body, but no real weight loss or clothing size change. It's very frustrating and when we get frustrated we EAT!! That's how we got to the 200's in the first place. I think to get that scale moving you have to do something drastic! Cut out all carbs for a week, or work out twice a day, or calorie cycle. The key is to shock your system, regain control, and refocus your energies. I think that after doing this for awhile we sort of feel like we've "got it" and then we get to relaxed.

For me when I am seriously on program I feel very in control of myself - something I'm not good at sustaining for long periods and periodically need to realign. When I'm eating whatever I want - even if it's healthy and smaller portions, but I'm at that point where I'm counting calories in my head (a little here, a little there) I start to fall apart - plateau and even gain.

Try a short term intense refocusing and you'll be amazed with what happens! Good luck!
skinnyinsideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #12  
Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
ChrissyBean, you have lost an amazing 44 lbs! Congrats! A plateau is simply your body's readjusting to your newer and lower weight. Celebrate it! Weight loss is not just about motivation, it's about consistency. Keep doing what you're doing--it's working.
I like this! My body just adjusting. My fella says use positive speak as well, these pounds will move like all the other pounds its the tenacity that gets us there. (I have been around 205 for 2 months! My fitness gains have been huge but no losses even when I count every single bloody calorie!)
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote