Old 07-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #1  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Ow, my bum!

I took my first cycling/spin class today - wow, it totally kicked my butt! 20 minutes in and I was already thinking I wouldn't make it til the end and how embarrassing would it be to just get off and leave. I kept looking at the clock every few minutes and would say to myself, OK, 5 more minutes, I can do five more minutes. Then I got looking to see when we'd have just five minutes left and we could do the cool down. But with five minutes left, the instructor asked the class if they wanted one more work-out song before the cool down. Everyone else's WooHoo's drowned out my whimpers so one more work-out song it was. By the end, my shirt was soaked with sweat. What a workout!

Now I am paying for it - my butt (and other areas) are so freakin' sore!

For anyone who's taken spin/cycling classes, does it really start to not hurt anymore? I definitely will be trying it again. Tomorrow I'm trying a bootcamp style class.

Last edited by LitChick; 07-16-2009 at 09:29 PM.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #2  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I've done spin at least 3 times a week for a few months now and NO, your butt will not stay sore!! I think it took a good week or two until I wasn't sore any longer. I was recently on vacation...and while I was active in other activities I didn't get on a bike for 2 weeks until this past Tuesday. I'm suffering from sore butt and lady bits all over again!

P.S. I LOVE spin class. LOVE IT!!!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #3  
One life, live it well

And, don't be surprised it you actually get blisters from this first ride. Depending on how much friction, out of the saddle time... I actually had a couple blood blisters after my first ride.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:51 AM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I PROMISE it gets better.

The first time I took a spin class, my girl bits hurt so bad that I iced them when I got home. SERIOUSLY. Now I don't even notice. You build up tolerance.

My boyfriend hates spin but he does swear by the gel seat so if you need some extra padding for the first couple of months, you do have that option.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #5  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

I agree - after the first couple of classes your girl bits hurt so much, but it does get better, trust me. I've been doing a spin class every week for about 2 months now and I'm loving it. Keep going - you will get used to it.
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #6  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

It gets better but until then try getting a gel seat cover...
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #7  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I love spin so much I teach it now. The soreness does go away. In the meantime try a gel seat cover (they have them at Walmart or anywhere you can buy sports stuff) or bike shorts.

I tell all my newbies that they have to do at least 5 classes before they are allowed to say they hate it. It IS an intense workout - but it's over in half an hour. If it wasn't intense what would the point be?

for making it thru the extra song - it gets easier from here on out!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #8  
Not Giving Up!

Thanks, chicks, for the words of encouragement and advice! I think I will get one of those gel seats since they don't cost very much and will probably make my butt feel better. Today it's hardly sore at all!

Speaking of equipment, I noticed several people in the class had special shoes that they clamped onto the bikes. Do any of you use these and if so, how much of a difference do they make? I imagine they're more expensive than normal shoes so I don't plan on making the investment right now, but I am curious in case I turn into a spinning maniac!
Old 07-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #9  
Ironman in Training

Bike shoes are good to get if you plan on keeping up with it... Most spin bikes use SPD type clips but ask the instructor to make sure that is the case. There are lots of reasons why people wear then but basically clipping in helps you give more power for the most part (Bike riders use them so they can go faster) takes a wee bit of getting used to, but worth looking into.

There is a huge price range on the shoes... just make sure they fit snug without sqeezing your feet (you'll get numb or pain otherwise) you don't need fancy ones for a spin bike. Check the online bike stores for clearance deals. If you ever plan on taking them and using them on a real bike it might be worth getting something nicer (Sidi is one really good brand) and probably better in that case to go to a bike store and get fitted properly.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #10  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

+2 to what idealmuse said.

I love my Shimano's (with SPD cleats)- got them on sale at a bike shop that was going out of business. I don't expect to buy another pair for a really long time so $90 ($70 + $20 for the cleats) wasn't outta control. I like that the cleats are embedded in the shoe - I wouldn't wear them for a long walk on purpose...but they are fairly comfortable.

I like to clip in because it keeps my feet from going numb strapped into the cages. It feels more secure as well - I know my feet are in the optimum position for good form. You want to be able to pull up on the pedal as well as push down, to work the back muscles of your legs and give your quads a break on long hills.

As for using them when I ride outside...I only clip in when I'm riding on a bike trail away from traffic. It takes a while to remember to clip out so be careful at first. Let's just say I've found myself laying on the ground a couple times...it's a tad humbling.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #11  
Not Giving Up!

Thanks for the info, ladies. I appreciate it!

I went back to the class this morning, armed with a gel seat cover and the inclusion of some protein in my pre-workout breakfast (hard-boiled egg) and although it didn't feel like it at the time, the gel seat must have helped, because I didn't really feel sore afterward, and the protein must have helped (a tip from the instructor last week) because I didn't feel like I was gonna throw up afterward, either!

Yeah, I'm definitely going to make cycling class part of my regular routine.

Last edited by LitChick; 07-23-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #12  
Searching

I love my bike and when I took spin I loved it too! YGG!
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #13  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I just did my 5th spin class this morning. I've only done one a week for now because of the need for recuperation afterward. Ha! But, I think I'm up for adding another one. I swear that they are the best workout. I can't say that I enjoy it while I am doing it because I'm watching the clock all the time. But it feels so good to stop! Seriously, I think it has really helped my calorie burn. I really like the results.

Never heard of the gel covers. Might have to look for that.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #14  
One life, live it well

Ask the instructor - I know at my gym they keep a couple extra gel seat covers for newbies.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #15  
Ironman in Training

Lit I'm glad you're enjoying the classes. I never though I would have liked spin classes but they are surprisingly fun (well after you get past the first few sessions!) I haven't taken one in years now since I no longer have a gym membership so I do all my riding outside or on my bike trainer (which is fluid filled so doesn't feel too different then the weighted wheel of a spin bike) (I clip in on both BTW although I have "Look" Cleats not SPD)