PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #1  
Determined to lose!

Default Discoloration under breasts

OK, I'm VERY embarrassed to type this, but I really need to know!

I'm large breasted (D cup< or DD) and under my breast, and in my thighs are discolored, like a grey or brownish that look to be "dirty" but I know they aren't! I was researching and found somewhere it may be PCOS related?

Is that true?

anyone else have this problem? What can I do for it?
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #2  
Kittyno

S/C/G: 212/190/150

Height: 5'2"

This is a common problem associated with PCOS. Most commonly, dark, velvety patches are found under the breasts. They can be found many other places though.

I, for example, have dark patches on my knuckles and my knees.

I am unaware if there is something you can do to alleviate the problem. Many people see improvement with treatement, but I have not thus far.
kittyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I have dark skin on my inner thighs and am very fair skinned otherwise. I don't have PCOS.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Kitty - Do you have any insulin issues? The dark patches are most commonly associated with insulin issues such as diabetes and PCOS.

If you eat a lot of refined carbs, that can aggravate the problem. Cleaning up your diet can help alleviate it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Kitty - Do you have any insulin issues? The dark patches are most commonly associated with insulin issues such as diabetes and PCOS.

If you eat a lot of refined carbs, that can aggravate the problem. Cleaning up your diet can help alleviate it.
No I don't have any insulin issues and eat very little refined carbs.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i have no insulin or PCOS Issues. I do not eat a lot of carbs

I am discolored under both breasts, under my tummy and on my thighs.

of course I do have that whole yeast thing going on....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/210/155

Height: 5'6

Unhappy I've got that too!

I am so glad someone brought this up. I was just diagnosed with PCOS last year but apparently have had it since my teens. I also have the dark patches on my inner thighs and under my arms. I break out a lot there too. The doctor recommended Nutrogena Body wash, which helps for the breakouts but does nothing for the color. Anyone tried any bleaching products?
isleyways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/244/140

Height: 5'2

I've never tried any bleaching products, but over the summer I was having problems with the discoloration under the breast and my doc said to start using some sort of powder. I have been using Gold Bond, medicated powder and the discoloration is gone (mine was more yeast related).

It's something to try!
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #9  
Determined to lose!

Since I've posted this thread SOME (not all) of the discoloration has gone... I will definitely give this a try! I've lost a few pounds, and under the breasts it definitely is better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raye View Post
I've never tried any bleaching products, but over the summer I was having problems with the discoloration under the breast and my doc said to start using some sort of powder. I have been using Gold Bond, medicated powder and the discoloration is gone (mine was more yeast related).

It's something to try!
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #10  
Live from hobbitsville

S/C/G: 125.6/102.4/80 (kg)

Height: 163cm 5"6

yeah i've got that situation too, i was told it was insulin related also and i HAVE noticed a difference when i'm eating right and my insulin stays steady for a few weeks.
azera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #11  
~jus' being me~

I think they're called skin tags and prevalent in women who are IR and have PCOS.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #12  

I have it - my gyn didn't tell me to use the gold bond powder .. I will try it.

The gp I went to said it was a rash from sweating
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #13  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Quite often hyperpigmentation, or the browner skin you see, is caused simply by irritation. I have this around my waist, where my waistband created friction around my waist.

It makes sense to me that you would have hyperpigmentation under your breasts, as they will move against your bra and create friction, and also on your inner thighs, where there is friction, too.

I wouldn't worry about it with respect to disease or medication side-effects. I would try new underwear, with proper sizing, and then just wouldn't worry about it. If it is really a bother, try a dermatologist appointment, as they may have a better solution.

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #14  

The dark patches under my breasts, arms, on my thighs and around my neck went away when my blood sugar levels were brought under strict control.
GwenSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Maybe I can help.

The is a skin condition associated with diabetes/insulin issues/obesity called acanthosis nigricans. It is the velvety brownish patches between the thighs or under the breasts.

Many obese people also develop intertrigal rashes (that's a fancy way of saying a rash in the skin folds.) The cause for this rash is often yeast, and if so a medicine that treats fungal infections, such as lotrimine cream, can help. This rash usually itches and is reddish with bumps especially at the margins. Depending on your skin tone, the color will be pink or brown.

The best bet is to consult a dermatologist as they will be able to point you in the right direction.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote