Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #1  

Default You mean... I actually have to sweat?

I know, I know... I'm a newb. I'm suppose to be jumping into threads already made and not starting my own. Those are the unwritten rules of internetness. But!

I already feel at home here and I just HAD to share with everyone my epiphany this morning.

Ready?

I actually have to like... exercise.

Amazing, right? Wait wait! Don't leave me yet! Let me explain!

I have talked about needing to lose weight for years really. I was suppose to lose weight for my best friend's wedding last year, for the summer this year.. the summer before 3 summers ago... I have been saying it and saying it.

Well I finally slapped my own self across the face and told myself, "Katie. It isn't going to happen by just talking about it!"

So I said, "Self, you're right." And made myself a blog where I could hold myself accountable. I gave the blog link to all my friends and family so they would ask me about it, ask me how I was doing... make me feel like they were discussing me when I wasn't around. Basically, to make myself do well because I would be embarrassed if I didn't.

Now don't get me wrong, I have complete faith that I am actually dedicated and motivated this time. I am meeting with a personal trainer in the morning and will have 3 sessions with them a week until April!

I've been feeling so great and proud of myself for making this commitment so publicly and openly. I was all peppy as I went to the gym today...

45 seconds later as I huffed and puffed on the treadmill, I got a sense that this will not be the glorious, easy, heavenly-light cast down upon me journey that I had pictured in my head.

It wont be pretty, but this blubber will be back up on that treadmill in the morning!
KatieBell28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

lol..yes sweating is a good sign you are doing something.

I have seen lots of newb's starting threads..go right ahead.

you have to want it for you--not in order to do something for someone else.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

welcome to 3fc sounds like youre making all the right choices-keep it moving and i know i'll be reading abt your success soon! have a great day
bitetoobreakkskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

It gets somewhat easier with time though- my first day on the treadmill I did five minutes and thought I was dying lol.

Now I can "comfortably" exercise an hour at a time
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
It gets somewhat easier with time though- my first day on the treadmill I did five minutes and thought I was dying lol.

Now I can "comfortably" exercise an hour at a time
I just kept repeating to myself that it was going to get easier. That and I was imagining that if my fat jiggled enough, it would just jiggle right off of my body!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Woooohooo!!!! Go Katie!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Woooohooo!!!! Go Katie!

Funny, I wrote that on my blog to myself this morning!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #8  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

Welcome!! I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey. You seem totally commited and i honestly do wish you all the best!!
Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #9  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieBell28 View Post
I've been feeling so great and proud of myself for making this commitment so publicly and openly. I was all peppy as I went to the gym today...

45 seconds later as I huffed and puffed on the treadmill, I got a sense that this will not be the glorious, easy, heavenly-light cast down upon me journey that I had pictured in my head.
LOL, I'm laughing because I had the exact same epiphany/experience when I hired a personal trainer and got serious. I actually CRIED my first day of PT because it was so difficult and I'm like... what was I thinking?! That this would be easy?? Good grief I was 200+ lbs and I thought it wouldn't take *that much effort* to become a runner. Boy was I wrong!

Yeah, it does take sweat and there are days that I don't want to. But I've never finished a run and thought "gee, I wish I hadn't just wasted 40 minutes of my life by running!" It's always a good, accomplished feeling being sweaty.

Welcome!!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hooray for you, Katie!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #11  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

Katie your blog is a great idea! I will also echo that it does get easier with time. Just don't give up! Your commitment is inspiring!
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Yay, Katie!!! I love how you write as your personality shines through. Keep it up, girl! I can't wait to hear how you progress.

It most definitely gets easier. *HUGS*
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Oh man... even after 5+ years of exercising (with some rather long breaks in there ) I know how you feel!

But I have to tell you... there's nothing like the feeling of making progress in your fitness. Sure, seeing the number on the scale go down feels nice. Knowing that you stuck to your diet plan for the day or week feels nice. But being able to run a minute longer or just a little faster, or do a full push-up instead of modified, or get through that workout DVD without stopping for the first time -- it seems more REAL because you physically feel it happening, and it makes you feel strong and healthy, and those feelings are of course magnified by the endorphins released in your brain during exercise.

Now, I'm not saying the awesome emotional experience will make the exercise feel any easier. I got into a habit of doing exercise DVDs that I found moderately difficult but nothing too challenging... and my weight loss slowed down dramatically. Working hard really does lead to more progress. Recently I've been doing this Jillian Michaels workout DVD, and at one point we're doing something incredibly hard after just doing something else that's incredibly hard and she says something about feeling like you're floating on air... and I want to punch her in the face. It's some sort of jumping exercise (I don't remember which) which means I feel all my flab flopping around, I'm out of breath and sweating, and here she's talking about floating on air... that b****. (I think she just needed something to blab about to fill the time.) I just remember that whenever I've felt like I'm floating on air, I probably wasn't working hard enough to make any real progress.

Last edited by mayness; 07-22-2009 at 03:51 PM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Pants View Post
LOL, I'm laughing because I had the exact same epiphany/experience when I hired a personal trainer and got serious. I actually CRIED my first day of PT because it was so difficult and I'm like... what was I thinking?! That this would be easy?? Good grief I was 200+ lbs and I thought it wouldn't take *that much effort* to become a runner. Boy was I wrong!

Yeah, it does take sweat and there are days that I don't want to. But I've never finished a run and thought "gee, I wish I hadn't just wasted 40 minutes of my life by running!" It's always a good, accomplished feeling being sweaty.

Welcome!!
My first meeting with my PT is in the morning, and there will be tears. At least she's a woman! Thanks for the welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gela View Post
Katie your blog is a great idea!
It's just a way to force my ideas of self-greatness onto family and friends. They need to know how awesomesauce I am! Right?! Right.

And Cali Doll.. it takes one to know one. *nods sagely* You must be a nut too.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #15  

(Sorry, double posts are horrible, but it deserves it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post
It's some sort of jumping exercise (I don't remember which) which means I feel all my flab flopping around, I'm out of breath and sweating, and here she's talking about floating on air... that b****.

Miss May, you are a woman after my own heart. Bless Jillian... I love that she is a biz-natch though!