Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Default NOT a good bathing suit adventure

Okay, so I have lost 20 lbs. But I LOOK HIDEOUS STILL in a bathing suit! I was mortified! My legs (thighs) are absolutely disgusting!!!!

My Jillian Michaels DVD came in today, but I am not sure even SHE can help this.

Unfortunately, I took my girls shopping with me for help and well, they were painfully honest. I was so hoping to find something that would make me look decent
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Gosh, what negative talk.

You're disappointed in how you look - OK. But what is calling yourself those horrible things accomplishing, really? Hideous and disgusting...is that any way to talk about yourself?

You're here because you're working on improving yourself, and you've already done that, to the tune of 20 pounds! You can't do anything more than what you're doing right now, so why beat up on yourself?

The way to motivate yourself to make change isn't to call yourself names...it's to realize that taking care of yourself and your body is the ultimate way to show that you respect and love yourself.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #3  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

i find that hard to belive im an inch taller than you and im arround 222 lbs and i found the bathingsuit of my dreams it took some hard work and determination but i did it and im sure so can you ..... your 146 im sure you look pretty nice in a bathingsuit dont beat yourself up thats not going to help your self esteem
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

hugs! I think my thighs look hideous in a bathing suit too. I do agree though. We are here to work on ourselves. Don't beat yourself up. Plus the lighting in those dressing rooms!

big hugs again. Just let that motivate you to change your body more! Not to perfection but to health.

oh let me recommend a bathing suit with a sarong! They are so sexy and really help if you feel self conscious about your butt or thighs.

Last edited by jendiet; 07-21-2009 at 07:06 PM.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #5  

I'm sure there's a bathing suit out there that will compliment you. Try some of the Plus-Size stores, Jc Penny's, or even Wal-Mart or Target.

Good luck with your search!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #6  
Going to be a mommy!

S/C/G: 255/225/200

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Exclamation

I wanted to say good luck on your bathing suit search!

I have a suit I love!

I was a bit concerned with the negativity in your post as well... how old are your daughters? I hope you don't put yourself down like that in front of them... Kids pick up their body image attitudes from their parents... I know I picked up a lot of my mom's negative self talk and yo-yo dieting as she include myself and my lil sis in her summer diets every year starting in Middle school- I also would listen to her put down her body as well... It is something you might want to watch if you do it. You might not even realize it-

My 5 year old nephew started calling himself fat after hearing my sister talking about herself like that in front of him... that just made me sad.
akacutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #7  
loving my beautiful self

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
The way to motivate yourself to make change isn't to call yourself names...it's to realize that taking care of yourself and your body is the ultimate way to show that you respect and love yourself.
I really like that Amanda. Wise words.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #8  
Shrinking chickie

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I agree with mandalinn completely.
As for my 2 cents, I think you should go shopping again, on a day where you feel good (after working out perhaps), with self-tanner if you're ok with that to counter the effects of those horrible dressing room lights and go for styles that will compliment your body, and pick ones in your favorite colors!! I would also either go alone or with someone who's very supportive. You have to love yourself and your body (at least most of it!) as its shrinking, not just when it hits goal.
kk140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #9  
Reached Goal Sept 11/09

S/C/G: 228/135

Height: 5'4"

Oh, Niecy, I can totally relate to how you feel.

I hadn't owned a bathing suit in years, but I finally went shopping for one in the spring. I took only my closest girlfriend with me and made her promise to be honest about how things looked (I have no objectivity about my own body). It took a bit of doing, but I found a suit that I love and that looks good on me. For me, I knew I could trust her to tell me the truth - so when she said that a suit looked good, I believed her.

Next week, I am going to the beach with my husband, that friend and her bf, and I am so excited. Last summer, I would only have been found dead on a beach.

Peace, Heather
MrsWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

At 146 you might be too small for Lane Bryant, but if you're not, they have some nice swim dresses that don't look old ladyish like most skirted suits. I love mine; I think it's the only thing that's ever made my butt look cute!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 182/146.4/122

Height: 5'1"

Okay Niecy -- we are the same weight and I am 4 inches shorter, so I just don't believe you could look that bad in a bathing suit. Of course, fitting room lights are terrible and you never look the same at the store as you will by the pool. I am also a firm believer that a bit of a tan makes everyone look better!

When I work out, I've taken to wearing running skirts and tank tops. So when I ventured out bathing suit shopping, I ended up finding a tank top and skirt suit. My mom says I look like I am heading out to play tennis. But I feel great in the suit and don't even feel the need to cover up when walking around.

I promise -- there really is a suit out there for everyone once you figure out your preferred style!
mkmlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Sorry y'all for the negativity. I just thought by NOW that surely there is a swimsuit to make me feel less self-conscious. But that cellulite was BLAZING in those lights, lol. We go to the beach in about 2.5 weeks so I am going to tan some out in the pool before then.

I looked online this past weekend and found one from Dillards that I liked. It is a retro type that is a full suit, but with the halter straps, like the pinup style. I was okay while trying it on until the 14 yr. old piped in. Then my 8 yr. old joined her and it was downhill from there. Now I see why my 14 yr. old hates herself!! She was very hard on me. I have not talked about myself like that in a while (since people started calling us twins about 2 yrs ago, because I knew if I put myself down, and she looks just like me what will she think of herself) so I am not sure where it came from.

I do have an AWESOME bathing suit that I bought on ebay but my 14 yr. old tried it on and ripped it in two places. It is boned and everything, from the 40's with sewn on pearls. SOOO cute, but I think now destroyed. It does fit, a tad bit tight but possibly with 5 more lbs will be very well suited for me. I will see what I can do with it.

In the meantime, I went to Belk and found one that I liked (although not as crazy about as the actual vintage one that I have) in that same retro style, but the skirted part is a little longer and there is lots of ruching.

Again, sorry for this. I admit, I was acting rather teenager-ish. I have been so upbeat the past few months.

I will say this though....just for the heck of it, I tried on some jeans just to see where I am. I am in a size SIX jeans and I bought them (on sale, haha)! I was still walking around in 10's. No wonder people couldn't tell I've lost.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #13  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

We were talking on another bathing suit thread about wearing guy's board shorts (I don't like my thighs either).
I haven't actually looked for any yet though. I haven't worn a swimsuit yet this summer

My husband always reminds me that I look better than most people out there in swim suits anyway-haha!

Good luck and best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 180

Height: 5' 11"

You could just wear a T-shirt while you swim. It might not be the most "popular" thing to do but on the plus side, you will have better skin for longer because you won't be exposed to all of the UVA/UVB rays that everyone else is getting. In the long run, you might just be the most beautiful of the all.

-Isn't is sad when we sometimes we give up what we really want for what we want right now--Random quote I heard when I was younger
weightlossxprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
We were talking on another bathing suit thread about wearing guy's board shorts (I don't like my thighs either).
I think women look sexy in guys board shorts. I don't fit into them yet. My dream goal weight swim wear is a billabong cap sleeved rashguard and some mens board shorts
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote