Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #1  
Coffee Addict Hippy

S/C/G: (Restarted) 235.5/192.5/130

Height: 5'6"

Lightbulb Finding good in a bad situation

Okay, so as many of you who have read my recent posts, life hasn't exactly been easy lately. So, to add to the dislocated jaw and dentist enforced liquid diet (yay Arbonne shakes with lots of frozen/fresh fruit added with light vanilla soy milk!) my hair stylist made a big boo-boo.

First, it started with a slightly over-processed perm. My hair was definitely fried, though salvagable. I waited a month and went back for a trim on the damaged ends. Here, the problem escalated to what I'm being left with as an option. As she was trimming the top of my head, she got distracted and looked away briefly, unfortunately in doing that, instead of trimming my hair slightly, a huge section on the top of my head was hacked to less than an inch long.

*insert my brain going into shock here*

So, I've been unable for the past two weeks to do anything with my hair other than pull it back into a now very stubby pony tail and spray and clip the **** out of the top, which is now thin spikey hair and hope to **** that no one notices that other than summer, there's a reason I wont leave my hair down.

I had a lightbulb lighting up over my head moment the other night and I'm going through with it by the end of this week. (once my order arrives!)
I'm borrowing my best friend's clippers and buzzing all of my hair.

I know the choice seems extreme, but for me, it feels like a fresh start.
The last time my hair was it's natural color and never touched by any sort of chemical service was right before my 108lb in 6 month weight gain.
So, I'm making a new beginning for myself. My hair will be new, as will be my changing shape! As I lose the weight, my hair will regrow. I consider it to be a time for a new me in many ways.

Now, I know I definitely don't have the courage to go around with buzzed hair, especially around my incredibly supportive (but in the dark about this) man, so I came up with an alternative.
I hit up ebay and after hours of some serious price trolling, I managed to get a good quality human hair full lace wig that I can glue and go with until my hair is long enough for a cute pixie style or I choose to just let it show. The best part is, the wig color and style match my pre-hair salon disaster, so unless I get the guts to tell my man and my family, there's a good chance they'll never know until the reveal.

I've not been this excited about a hurdle in my life. If I keep on track and work hard, I'll be able to reveal a completely new person by the time we once again slowly peel off the winter layers of hoodies and oversized clothing that are just so comfy!

So, things could be worse, I could be utterly miserable and dwelling on the issue, but for once, I found good and a new lease on life! I'll keep everyone posted! Maybe you'll get lucky and I'll post before and after pics of the hair and weight loss!
Featherfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 292/218/smaller!

Height: 5.1

Wow that's really brave! I had a similair situation when a hairdresser burnt off my hair and it went from waist length to a couple of inches of straw. It was one of the worst experiences and right before my 21st birthday. I sympathise with you so much and hope you feel better soon! I just kept reminding myself that so many people loose their hair through illness and at least I was healthy and hairless! I could never have shaved it off, I just used the most ridiculous amount of deep conditioner for months and stayed away from heat, hair dye etc and it grew back fairly quickly. I remeber my mother suggesting cutting it short and getting a wig but there is no way I could have done that - I was traumatised enough! Just remeber there is no going back after you have buzzed it but hair does grow fast. I wish you the very best of luck and hope you find a MUCH better hairdresser very soon!!
shashasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #3  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

I've often wanted to do that myself! Just to get a fresh start with my hair not damaged, and perhaps remember what my original hair color is. I have some scarves that I wear tied over my head a lot in the summer to keep my scalp from getting burned, so if I ever do it then I'll keep those handy in a variety of colors.

I would love to see before and after pics if you do it!
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Why not start out with the cute pixie style?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #5  
Coffee Addict Hippy

I'd start with the pixie style, but it's too far damaged unfortunately. The shortest part at the moment, is on the very top of my head, smack in the middle. I've been trying to hide it by clipping back my bangs, but I still get the spikes sticking straight up behind the clips and what looks like a practically bald spot because of the light color versus my natural somewhat dark brown.
I'll post pics the day I do it, which hopefully will be either Thursday or Friday! (all depends on the speed of the mail! I'll be trolling the mailbox!)
Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

I think that's a great idea! (And I love your avatar!)
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #7  
Coffee Addict Hippy

Thanks! I'm a crazy bunny-mom and just loved that picture when I found it online! My version of a workout today was measuring and cutting the carpet and wood pieces to make her a bunny castle! *L* more like a fortress with a sun roof but hey, I'm trying! ....and now to nurse the blisters ^^
Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

wow! I've been thinking of dying my hair to signal a new start. What stops me is how badly the chemicals treat your hair. Your post just reinforced that to me. I have used a semi-permanent color before but nothing drastic. I was wanting to dye my hair black with burgundy highlights. I wish it wouldn't damage my very soft hair. I have fine stranded thick hair. I don't think it would handle very much.

I think in your case, I would shave it off. **** yeah, it would be so healthy. I'd wear the wig too.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #9  
Chaos in Action

S/C/G: 250/210/160

Height: 5'4

I think that you are making a solid decision. I am also a member at a long hair care forum and a number of people there have buzzed their hair to get rid of the damage. It is frustrating at first, but it gives you a fresh start. You'll have a cute pixie cut on fresh, undamaged hair before you know it!
paradoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #10  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I actually keep my hair around an inch long all over, with slightly longer fringey bangs.

It's quite liberating! I can have my hair done in 2 mins. Don't have to worry about it the rest of the day.

It seemed a bit strange the first time I did it, but now I love it. I used to have very long hair, and while it's pretty and men like it, it's a ton of work to keep it up properly.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am so sorry for the hairdressers error! I hope things begin looking up soon for you in every direction. Out of curiousity, what did she say????

I would definitely try the hair piece. Hair is BIG to me. I must have my hair--just don't feel complete without it--maybe it's the Texan in me. Lol. Get yourself into something comfortable and by all means--find a new hairdresser!!!

My prayer for you this morning is for everything to start looking up again--health wise and hair wise!

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 07-21-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #12  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I am sorry about your hair dresser's screw up. Did she at least make it up to you? First she burnt your hair and then she cut off an important section way too short? I don't think she would see me again after that.
Personally, I would spring for the buzzed-off head. Or perhaps 1/4" long. I know it can be a scary thought but it would grow up quickly. I myself keep my hair short (right now it is way shorther than in my avatar) and I need a haircut every 6 weeks at the very latest because then it becomes unmanageable.
I hope the wig will tide you over the worst.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:40 AM   #13  
Coffee Addict Hippy

It's late and I just got home from a great concert with my amazing boyfriend, but TOMORROW IS THE DAY! I'm going to take pics early afternoon, and then it's off with the hair! I'm actually really excited about this, rather than afraid, especially after the amount that comes out when I try to dry it or comb it back into a ponytail after a shower. I'm shedding so much I'm amazed I have anything to cut!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #14  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

I wish I had read this earlier, lol.

If your plan doesn't work out...spend a few days telling people that you're going to be a "shavee", solicit donations, then just shave it all off. Yes, you'll be bald. BUT, instead of having to say "the hairdresser screwed up" when people ask why, you can say "I was participating in an event to raise funds and awareness for childhood cancer." AND you can raise funds for cancer kids!
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 155.8/ticker/130

Height: 5 ft 6

Awesome!!!!!!!! I kind of wish I could shave my hair off and start new.... but it's just too drastic for me right now. So instead I'm trying to take better care of my hair and am cutting damage away over time.......... But I totally love your idea and kinda wish I was in your shoes! I'm jealous!!! Waiting for the pics!

Last edited by Kimmie1989; 07-23-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Kimmie1989 is offline   Reply With Quote