Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 12:28 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7

Default Fresh Start #2

Hi,
Well I started the second thread just to make it easier. Svelte thanks for replying even when you're so busy and stressed. For some reason I'm having a slow week so of course I have the time to have conversations with myself over here. Hang in there the bad days always pass eventually. Take care of your husband and yourself and don't mind me over here going post crazy.

I did have some good news today- I lost 5 pounds So walking is doing me good! I had a nice walk today and I FINALLY started that weight training I've been promising myself for so long. Only 15 minutes but I was tired afterwards. It's a start. Well I'll check in later.

Take Care
Old 11-04-2002, 08:01 AM   #2  
Finally Fit!

Yee-Haa! I found you finally! Man, people come and go so quickly! Congratulations on the 5 pounds of you, gone forever. Love walking so much, I think I do it in my sleep... just kidding, but I've found that walking has changed my breathing. Does that make sense? I breath deeper now, even when I'm not exercising. I also find that my body feels stronger all the time. Like curling up in bed, it used to take some effort, and now becasue of my strength, I just slide right into comfy positions. So, I'm seeing results all the time, which make sme keep it up.

Hubby is okay! Thanks to God! We're gering up for a dinner tonight, and I'm planning to be good, and play happy hostess.

Race: Hope you're okay.... we miss ya!

Ruby: Thanks for letting me follow you around here... it helps to have you there.

Happy Monday!
Old 11-04-2002, 01:34 PM   #3  

Hey! Well great, #2 is up and going. I know what you're saying about noticing those small changes. I notice a new one everyday. I sleep so much easier now. I feel stronger too, just my movements I feel more control or something. Hey I'm actually parking further out in the parking lot now! I like walking it. Believe me I could circle like a shark for a good few minutes just because I'm a lazy butt. Good practice for the holidays. It's all about the little things.

I'm glad to hear you and your husband are doing well. I hope your dinner tonight is fun, hosting is so great. I'm getting ready for hosting during the holidays myself. I can't believe it's November already! Well, I'm glad we're still going over here in this forum, I always look forward to talking to you gals!

Happy Walking
Old 11-04-2002, 09:01 PM   #4  

Hi, everyone, remember me? lol

Ruby, way to go on losing 5 pounds! Thanks for keeping up with the thread, and for the personal note to tell me where everyone is. Hey...where's the imoticon for a hug???

Svelte, I'm so glad your husband is ok! It's great that you are beginning to notice the small things. I'm getting quite a bit of benefit, too...how long have we been keeping this thread? We were all three at the very beginning point...just a few weeks, I think. And already what a difference!

I've walked, but I've also been dancing in my living room. It's fun! Only problem is, sometimes I don't want to stop when I'm tired and then I push too far and it's harder to make myself start the next time! Hard to think of myself as an over-excerciser!

I had already been waking up a little better because of keeping a balanced diet (well, because of making the effort, anyway hehehe), but I'm sleeping and waking even better now. And it's making the days better. I'm not as easily frustrated and overwhelmed, I'm learning and understanding faster, problem solving faster and overall more productive. God, please help me never to go back to the way things were!

I missed you guys too. I was so afraid I'd come back to find you gone! Sometimes I just can't get online for a bit, so be patient with me. It's not that I'm not interested!
Old 11-04-2002, 11:56 PM   #5  

Race
Great to see you! That dancing sounds like fun. And of course it's never a bad thing to NOT want to stop exercising! I'm glad we're all doing so well with our walking. Well gotta get going, I'll check in with you ladies later!
Old 11-05-2002, 04:25 PM   #6  
Finally Fit!

Wink Treadmilled Myself into a Frenzy

Ugh! I have to say, I think I'll make special arrangements, to walk outdoors, instead of getting that treadmill. I hate not getting anywhere, and I hate the sound of that machine... I dont know. I know it's convenient and all, but It sounds like ... something loud, that's for sure. I'll probably get a hand me down from mom, and we'll see if I can make it work for me. Good second option, for snow days maybe.

I am also very tired lately, and headachey, from the weather. What a bummer. Headaches tend to flatten me. And, I wish It didn't get drk so soon, kindof depressing. Just icky day... sorry for the funk, just feeling poopy. And, the dog keeps pooping o the rug! What's an Alpha-Dog to do?!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:49 PM   #7  

Svelte, we're all doing really well, but I have to say I'm the very most proud of you! Making sure you do it no matter how you feel is what will pull you out of that funk and help you feel better in the next days and weeks. I've noticed that my mood, attitude, etc., still swings far more than I want it to, but is starting to level out and so will yours. Just hang in there, girl! Get a rolled up newspaper and chase the dog around...take out that frustration and housebreak your pet at the same time!

Well, Ruby, sounds like your the busy one today. I'm glad you managed to pop in for a few seconds anyway, a lesson I can learn from, eh?

Saw my doctor today. She gave me some stronger meds for my high blood pressure and we talked about the way I've been eating and exercising. She gave me some literature about nutrition and told me that I still should not be walking more than 5 minutes a day. Told me to walk, bike, whatever large-movement exercise I want for 5 a day and increase by five a day ever couple of weeks. The downer is I won't be racewalking by Thanksgiving, but the good thing is, now I can take my Mominlaw with me. She said she can probably make it as far as I'm going, and she needs it as much as I do. So I'm hoping maybe this will be a blessing for both of us now. If she just keeps going with me! (hope, hope, pray, pray!).
Old 11-06-2002, 01:02 AM   #8  

Hey gals,
Well Svelte I'd have to agree with Race with all the tough stuff you've been faced with lately you're staying positive. I feel pooped (sorry couldn't help myself!) sometimes too . We can walk through it! Though that treadmill sounds like a monster! I had one like that ended being a second closet. Outside walking is always more refreshing anyway. Hang in there you're doing great

Race- 5 minutes of walking is still some valuable exercise time. Don't worry you'll be racewalking again before you know it! I'm finding that half the battle is having patience with myself. Like today I was wishing I was good enough shape to jog rather than my usual stumbling. Oh well someday I know I will.

Today I got a good 45 min walk in that is really making me feel tired. It's the good kind of tired tho, not that 'I stuffed myself sleepy' feeling I hate so much! I'm feeling good today and I'm so glad I stuck with it thru those tough days! If I'm lucky enough I can ring in the new year 15 lbs lighter and 10 times stronger physically and emotionally. I guess today I'm feeling blessed to have the courage to change and to have such great buds like you guys supporting me.

Take Care
Old 11-06-2002, 03:44 PM   #9  
Finally Fit!

Wink I Am So Blessed!

Wow, I popped in to the site, just "for a sec", and ende dup seeing such wonderful messages for me! That's what this place is all about! I am so tired lately, but I'm still plugging. I was asked by someone at church to help raise money for a cancer patient. Three year old little girl, going through cancer. Boy, that really hit me, in my heart. I am so selfish with my time, and my attitude really stinks! I complain about such silly things, while, somewhere out there, lies a 3 year old little girl, praying she makes it through today.

Lord, help me to see that the dreary days are a blessing, because I breathe....

Anyway, last night was election day. We won a good man for governor, so hubby's exstatic! He's also still feeling good.... which makes life so great! And it helps my heart to see him rant and rave about the news.... at least it's a different topic.

So, I rooted around in the shed, and dragged BACK OUT, the summer porch table and chairs. I want this place to appear full of life, and not "closed up for the winter". I don't care if it rusts, I want to be able to sit out there, and watch the winter. It help sme mentally to have that "full of life" feeling around here.

I'll bundle up after dinner, and walk that poopy dog. Long day, but feeling okay. Thanks for your words.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:16 PM   #10  

Hey,
You're so right, my problems always seem so petty compared to things like what that little girl is going through. I just have to remember to be grateful for all the nice things,great people and good health I have in my life. Isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about anyway? Not the turkey! Thought that's not bad either

I love the idea of leaving the porch stuff out for winter. Great idea. Good for you! Who made that rule anyway? You're inspiring me, maybe winter won't be so bad this year afterall. I can always get some good exercise by shoveling snow!

Anyway, I had a good day yesterday. I had a great walk and ate pretty healthy. Today I feel a little tired but only because I didn't get enough sleep in. Tonight I'm crashing early. I'll definitely need a power nap. Well the weather here will be warmer for the next couple days so I'm going to go out there and enjoy it while it lasts! You ladies have a great day!
Old 11-07-2002, 07:49 PM   #11  

I went for a walk with my Mominlaw again yesterday, which was very encouraging. Not just for me, but I'm anxious about her health and it's good to think she is making some positive changes. Today I was sick, I missed both work and my walk. It's night and I'm still sick, but am praying very very hard that I'll be better by morning. At least enough to work and walk.

I'm glad your doing better today, Svelte, and I'm learning a bit about attitude adjustment from you. Here I live where winter is the beautiful part of the year and I don't put out the table and chair at all! Tsk tsk tsk! I'm going to start enjoying some of the nice weather. Last night and today we've had the windows open, and only for a short time did it get a little warm. For the most part it was comfortable or nice and cool.

Whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed I think of the woman who sold us our first house. She was a young (30's) career woman until she was broadsided by some kind of commercial vehicle. She was paralyzed from the neck down and mentally downsized to thinking/understanding like a teenager. All she could do all day was watch t.v. and not even able to use the remote control for herself. There was an out-of-court settlement for millions of dollars and she was financially set, but how ironically useless! Sometimes I ask myself...on her best day, what wouldn't she give to have my blessings on my worst day?

Doctors are now saying that the shorter days have some effect on our moods, and that the holiday blues that are so common might not just be from holidays. I always struggle at the end of the year. This year I started taking a supplement called St. John's Wort, and it's helping. I got it at a health food store, but I bet you could find it anywhere they sell vitamins and such. Maybe it's worth a try...?
Old 11-07-2002, 08:06 PM   #12  
Finally Fit!

Wow, what a story! Can't imagine being paralyzed. Too hard to handle mentally. I'm trying to figure out how to relieve my seasonal depression, without meds... only because I've always been on meds, and I"m tired of them. I've tried all kinds of antidepressants, and they have side effects I do not like. Every body is different, so I'm hoping the St. Johns Wart helps you. It is natural, so that's a plus.

Decided to go out and buy some polaroid film, and had hubby take a couple shots of me, for my avatar... trying to figure out how to get it small enough... ugh!

Looking forward to the long weekend. I"m also skipping my walk tonight. I deserve a break today. wish it was at McD's. (to dream)

ALso, looking forward to some warmer weather this weekend. Might drag me out of my mental fog. Night ladies!
Old 11-09-2002, 02:06 PM   #13  

Race-I hope you're feeling better today.
How about you Svelte? I saw in your journal that you've lost 12 inches that's wonderful! great job! I never even thought to measure in the beginning. I think I might now because I am noticing differences in the way some clothes fit and things.

I definitely think the lack of sunlight effects my mood. It's always hard for me to get out of a depression in the winter. I think I start to feel cooped up or something. I have tried St John's Wort myself and I got some positive results from it, so it has some benefits.

The weekend is here again and it always hard to stay on track food wise because I'm usually out to dinner or grabbing what everyone else is eating. I never want to make a big fuss, but it's a juggling act trying to find the healthier choices. I made it through yesterday ok. At least I got my walk in. We'll see how the rest of today goes. Have a great day gals!

ps- Great pic Svelte! It's always nice to see the faces of the great people over here
Old 11-09-2002, 02:22 PM   #14  
Finally Fit!

Ah Yes, the weekend. And I started off weird, haivng it out wiht my little sister. Mentioned it in my journal, and got smacked in the head by another member. But, I needed a little kick anyway. I was thinking this week, I'm gonna write a list of all the ways i love my sister -- the sister I"m so angry at. Her choices make me so angry, but I'm going there for thanksgiving, and i"ve decided to write a wonderful letter, describing all the ways she's been a blessing in my life. To be honest, I will need to give tis a lot of thoguht, but I know that she'll be blessed through it, and it will help me love her more. Gotta stop picking on her, and love her as she is. Thought I"d mention this little battle I've been haivng in my head all day.

I went over to taht rental property. We're showing it this week, and I decided I'd finish off the yard work. Weed, mulch, trim bushes, cut down low hanging tree limbs. Bag leaves, rake and all that. Big work, and my bodies aching. Also got up early, and took my walk, so Im gonna rent "Ya Ya Sisterhood " order some chinese, laugh, cry, and relax all night with hubby. Man, I've been busy, both mentaly and physically.

Ruby: Ever thought about buying one of those lights for winter depression? Simulates the sunlight, and lifts one's moods.

Race: You still walking with mominlaw? Keep it up girl.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:27 PM   #15  

Default Hi

Hey everyone,
So how did the rest of your weekends go? Mine went pretty well. I got in all my exercise in and am eating pretty well. Although my dog has a touch of arthritis so she was a little tired walking with me the past couple days. She has her medicine now and is feeling better, she loves walking more than me anyway. She's my fav walking buddy, she gets so excited about it I just have to get happy myself!
About the light simulator, I've seen those before and wondered but never really looked into it. I also have many other options I haven't explored that I can do myself. I've been feeling sooo much better lately so I know I can help myself.

Anyway, Svelte sorry to hear about the difficulties with your family. It's great that you can take all that frustration and turn it to the positive by finding the blessings. You seem like a patient and understanding person, that's half the battle won right there. She's lucky to have such a sister who cares so much.

I hope you enjoyed your movie. I saw Ya Ya and though it was a cute chick flick. I got see 8 Mile on friday with some friends.

Race- How's everything going with you? Have you been feeling better?

Take Care girls
Closed Thread