Old 07-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/237/160

Height: 5'7

Default diet recommendations anyone?????

Im new to this site,im trying to lose around 70 pounds i was wondering are there any diets that anyone one would recommend. i tried the south beach diet and it worked for about 2 weeks but it was really hard to stick to.
ashleedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #2  
Workin' It

I had a lot of success with calorie counting. I use The Daily Plate and track everything I eat. This way nothing feels off limits so I don't feel like 'diet' all the time.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am another that has had a lot of good results with calorie counting. I use a different program to track my calories, but it's the same general concept (I use FitDay.com). It's easy, doesn't require much to start, and has yielded results for many here.

You may want to check out the Calorie Counters forum for more information.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #4  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

I also count calories~
I have lost nearly 70lbs~I have lost 69.7~In 8 months.

www.freedieting.com this website has great calorie counting calculators.

I read the following and I believe the information I am posting saved my life and changed my life for greater health and piece of mind.I hope it helps you as well.GOOD LUCK~YOU CAN DO IT.

Heres the info that changed my life:

Principles
Weight management may be difficult to achieve, but it certainly is not difficult to understand. When you consume food or drink, you consume calories. Your body burns calories to function, burning significantly more calories when you exercise. If you consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight. If you consume fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight.
Because your body requires energy simply to stay alive, you burn calories even when you are not exercising. In fact, you burn calories directly in proportion to your body weight. On average, a male burns 11 calories per day per pound of body weight. The average female burns 10 calories per day per pound of body weight. These figures are just averages. Some people will be higher or lower, since everyone's metabolism is a little different. Fitness Record allows you to specify the value which is appropriate for you. If you don't know, it is suggested that you start by using the average value for your gender.
For example, if John weighs 150 pounds, he burns approximately 150 x 11 = 1,650 calories per day. If he exercises, he will burn additional calories on top of that, depending on the exercise activity. However, if he does not exercise, he must eat 1,650 calories per day, just to maintain his body weight. If he eats more, he will gain weight. If he eats less, he'll lose weight.
For the purpose of calculating expected weight gain/loss, one pound is 3,500 calories. Each time you consume an extra 3,500 calories more than you burn, you will gain a pound. For example, Jane weighs 130 pounds, never exercises, and eats exactly 1,400 calories every day. Her metabolism is burning 1,300 calories per day, so she are consuming an extra 100 calories each day. If she does this indefinitely, she will gain a pound in 35 days, since 35 * 100 = 3,500.
Fitness Record uses another term, called Behavioral Weight. The idea is that over the long term, your weight is determined by your behaviors, and is best illustrated by example. Consider Jane above, who eats 1,400 calories per day. After 35 days of this behavior, she will weigh 131, instead of 130. This means her metabolism will burn slightly more calories than before. If she continues to eat 1,400 calories every day, she will continue to gain weight, but at a slightly slower pace. Eventually, she will weigh 140, at which time her metabolism will be burning 1,400 calories every day. At this point, she will stop gaining weight, since she is consuming the same number of calories that she burns. Therefore, by eating 1,400 calories in a day, Jane is behaving like a 140 pound person. Her "behavioral weight" is 140.
Exercise contributes to your calories burned. If Jane were to exercise, burning an additional 100 calories each day, then her calories burned would be in balance with her calories consumed. She could eat 1,400 calories per day, exercise 100 calories per day, and continue to way 130 indefinitely.
You may now be asking, "Why can't I just eat low fat foods?" You can eat whatever you want. But, non-fat foods can still have calories. Check the food label to find out if eating the non-fat version of a food is really saving you any calories -- sometimes it's not. Many programs recommend moderating your dietary fat intake, and that is obviously good advice. Eating low-fat foods happens to be an excellent guideline for keeping your calorie intake low. In addition, moderating your dietary fat intake may contribute to your health in other ways. However, it will not alter the mathematics of weight management -- you still have to eat fewer calories than you burn if you want to lose weight.
The problem with the way the human body works is that calories counting is tedious and difficult. Most weight-loss programs, as well as the so-called "fad diets", focus on other guidelines which are simpler to follow than calorie counting. However, none of these guidelines alter the underlying principles of weight management.

Last edited by Lori259; 07-16-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:43 AM   #5  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Lori, thank you so much for the info, I never knew I burned so many calories daily by doing nothing, now when I exercise I can add it all together and with CC I can see how weight loss works.
WOW I burn 2,180 a day!!
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/237/160

Height: 5'7

thank you
ashleedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #7  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

I wish ya'll The best~I am so happy to share that info with ya'll.
Message me sometime And let me know how it goes.
GOODLUCK
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I'm a pretty big weight watchers fan. It's a similar concept to counting calories, except you count points. These points are based on fat, calories and fiber. I know a lot of people don't like to spend the money to join a program like this. But I love my meetings and my leader is great! (If you join and don't feel like you click with your meeting group, try different meetings until you find one to suit your personailty) Everyone is different, but ww has been worth the money for me.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #9  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

I tried WW but was to cheap to use up my points, with CC I feel its ok to spend, kind of like putting pennies in a piggy bank for the day.
I have a lot of roll over WW points if anyone wants them.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5.5"

Thumbs up

Thanks Lori for all of the great info! You made it sound so simple!

Now if I could only put it all to work for me.

The more I want to lose weight the harder it seems, the more hungry I am the bigger I'm getting.

Thanks for the push forward!
mgf~
MyGirlFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 211/181/140

Height: 5'2"

Thank you for such a great description. I've never really understood it so clearly before!
UniquelyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #12  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I lost most of my weight on weight watchers...it helped me get on track with eating healthy (I'm a former Core girl which I think helped me a lot) and the meetings helped me stay accountable. After my leader quit to give more attention to her family I decided to do it on my own since I couldn't "click" with any of the new leaders...by this time though I had lost close to 100 pounds.

By accident I found the daily plate iphone app about a month ago and bought it using some credits I had and fell in love with calorie counting again...I've done it before but it seemed overwhelming and I wound up quitting. Although I have to say I was with WW 3 times before this. Something just clicked inside me this time and I think no matter which plan I chose I would have made it work

So I highly recommend both! Good luck in your decision!

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 07-23-2009 at 02:02 PM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Lori is spot on with her advice. Calorie counting is the way to go.

Lori--love seeing your ticker today--180's. Just WOW, it's all I have for you. You are SAILING!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGirlFriday View Post
Thanks Lori for all of the great info! You made it sound so simple!

Now if I could only put it all to work for me.

The more I want to lose weight the harder it seems, the more hungry I am the bigger I'm getting.

Thanks for the push forward!
mgf~

You have found a good place. I don't do hunger. I just cannot! You don't have to either!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 144/140/125

Like the others - calorie counting works best for me! I used to use the DailyPlate.com but now I use SparkPeople.com. SparkPeople works for me because it suggests meals, separates what you eat into Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snack, and tells you how many calories you eat each meal. Also, at the bottom, it tells you how many calories you can have for the rest of the day, and how many carbs, protein, and fat you can have, too. I find that if I plan my meals early in the day and track them, I can adjust them accordingly to the calories/fat/carbs/protein that I need! Good luck
Ashley82290 is offline   Reply With Quote