Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 12:22 PM   #1  
Sarcasm Queen

Default Does anyone NOT weigh in???

Hi there,

I'm very new to the exercise forum. I don't even lurk. You see I've been avoiding exercise for a long time. And last week Wednesday I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet. 5 times a week I will go to the gym, while the other two I will do Pilates. Well so far I've kept my promise of going faithfully.

However, I can't weigh in because pound gain will discourage me too much and a pound loss will bother me because I ONLY lost one pound. So, I'm wondering if anyone else has tossed away the scale and works out for the sake of working out and being healthy rather than for the reflection of the numbers on the scale.

How successful have you been with your exercise? Has it worked steadily or have you hit bumps along the way?

~Sahvara
Old 10-28-2002, 01:35 PM   #2  
cac

It took me a month of exercising before I weighed myself. I knew I was at my high weight. Like you I would get discuraged if I saw know change. By waiting that month, my pants were loose instead of tight and I knew I had made a change no matter what the scale read. In fact had lost 5 lbs.

cc

good luck!
Old 10-28-2002, 05:00 PM   #3  

Sahvara~ Hey girl!! Well, you know I weigh in, and I know what you mean about feeling like it's "just one pound" when you lose. But hey, think of it in terms of how much butter that is! It's pretty good.
Since it isn't benficial to you to weigh in, don't. I'm with cac, maybe try doing it once a month or so.

You can do this!!
Old 11-03-2002, 02:21 PM   #4  

Default Does anyone NOT weigh in???

Hello Sahvara,

I wanted to let you know that I tossed the scale away wow, I can't even remember how long it has been, I absolutely have no idea what I weigh except for when I go to the doctor and even then I tell him sometimes I don't want to know.. I prefer to go by how my clothes feel.....

So you are doing Pilates??? I am looking for some information on them, as I want to start doing them, but am not sure about it? Is there anything that you can recommend?? or any tips????
How much space do you need and are you moving around alot...

Anything that you could provide would be so greatful...

hank you in advance

Heath
Old 11-06-2002, 04:20 AM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Saw this thread and just had to jump in...

I stopped weighing myself earlier this year and have never looked back. Doing bodybuilding (started with 3 Body for Life Challenges and now doing a program called "Camp Pam B" - actually I'm currently taking a week off whilst in London) I might have lost, oh, maybe 10-12 pounds as far as the scale goes, but went down from a size 10 in April to my current size 4.

I posted two quotes at the Body for Life/Bodybuilding Forum (here at 3FC under "Diet Plans") that I thought were worth repeating for your benefit - I find them PRICELESS:

I don't have to tell you that there are many, many folks out there who religiously weigh themselves once a week - shoot, once a DAY - and guess what - they are still fat..still depressed...letting that little number rule their lives. That's why earlier this year, I decided to BAG the scale, TOSS the calipers and go strictly by 'look and feel' i.e. the Pants-o-meter. Ann at www.leanandstrong.com had a great post on this the other day...
Quote:
Pants-O-Meter NEVER lies...

I have been in shape most of my adult life, and I have used a measuring device (my doctor's scale) maybe 12 times in the past 20 years.
Who needs it?
Or calipers?
Or even a tape measure?
Clothes never lie. You're either bursting the seams of a size 4, or it feels comfortably loose on you.
It's a daily reality check.
There is no fooling the Pants-O-Meter.
For years, my husband's weight yo-yoed up and down by as much as 50 lbs......and he faithfully weighed every step of the way.
It took BFL for him to learn that The Little Woman had it right all along.
The following is from the book "Diary of a Fat Housewife" by Rosemary Green...showing once again that the scale can really derail your motivation and progress...
Quote:
Just prior to June 7, I lost 5 pounds, taking me from 262 pounds down to 257. Compared to 132 pounds, a measly 5-pound loss sounds almost too ridiculous to mention - if you've never been fat. But I call attention to it here because that five pounds can have a negative psychological impact on the extremely obese person. It's a five-pound leeway to eat! You see, you can easily have a candy bar or bake a batch of cookies "for the family" (who are we kidding?) because you are down five pounds. If you pick up a pound or two, you'll still be down a pound or two from where you were. And no one will notice.

Brother! Do you realize how pathetic that last sentence is? "No one will notice" is the all-important consideration. I mean, you can eat like a pig for days, be sick to your stomach constantly from eating too much garbage, be too big for your seat belt, be unable to tie your own shoes or play on the floor with your children, be out of breath after climbing one flight of stairs, be signing your own death warrant by abusing your poor little heart and clogging your skinny little arteries...but heaven forbid someone should 'notice' you've gained two pounds!
Old 11-07-2002, 12:08 PM   #6  
Sarcasm Queen

Ah yes... pilates,

You don't need that much room at all. I purchased an exercise mat. Very standard... and I can do the tape on that. Even though... the mats that the people have on the tape are HUGE. It's not necessary. I do Winsor Pilates - simply because I broke down and bought them during the infomercial. So they are really the only exposure that I've had with pilates. I think I'm gonna pop in a tape and do one.... Good Luck!!

~Sahvara
Old 11-13-2002, 04:08 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Another good quote I found at Lean & Strong today - having to do with the numbers on the scale:
Quote:
This is from Frank Zane, a former Mr. Olympia, who also happens to have a Master's degree in math:

"With the tape measure, with the scale, with the calipers, even with the water displacement method of bodyfat measurement, all you get is a number---a description of reality, not reality itself.
"If these numbers were so important, they would be part of the judging criteria for bodybuilding competition. But they are not. In competition, as in life itself, judgement is based solely on appearance."
Old 11-25-2002, 03:47 PM   #8  
Fighting the Krispy Kreme

To weigh or not to weigh...
I wish that I could throw away my scale completely, but I can't. I just can't. But instead of weighing myself everyday as I'm inclined to do, or even once I week, I put my scale up on the highest shelf in the closet and only get it down maybe once a month. That way, if I want to weigh, I have to put some effort into it. Turst me--this is a lot better than keeping it beside the sink in my bathroom. When it's so available, you feel inclined to jump on it any old time. By keeping a scale, but keeping it out of your reach, you can weigh, but if you keep eating properly and exercising, you will see a real difference every month, instead of day by day. You get a more accurate reading by doing it once a month instead of everyday; you're not as affected by day to day gains and losses that don't mean anything. Once a month is the way to go!
Check out this page to learn why the scale lies: http://www.***************.net/articles/scale_lies.htm
Old 11-25-2002, 05:54 PM   #9  

I rarely weigh myself for the same reasons you mentioned. I just go by how my clothes fit.
Old 12-25-2002, 02:25 PM   #10  
Living Juicy

Talking

I do weigh in once a week because I belong to TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) BUT I am really trying to not let that mean anything to me. Instead what I am really doing is measuring myself with a tape measure once a month and that is what makes me really happy or aggrivated. Since I am starting to lift weights I know that my weight is not going to be my TRUE identifyer of health beause muscle weighs more. SO, I am much more happier when my pants are loose than I am that the scale went down a couple of pounds. ALSO, I have lots of water weight that can fluctuate 5 pounds in a day sometimes. So, anyway, I believe more in the measuring tape than I do the scales!!!

Great job on getting to the gym, it sounds like you are really doing GREAT! I would like to get into Pilates soon too, I hear people get some GREAT results from it!!

Old 01-03-2003, 01:26 PM   #11  
Hanging in There

Exclamation

Even though I have a scale I rarely use it--I just go by how well my clothes fit, especially my work clothes.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:38 PM   #12  
Hardcore UFOs

It's been very interesting reading everyone's perspective on this issue! I myself have been a daily weigher since I started on my journey just over two months ago. For me, weighing every day keeps me accountable and makes me much less likely to overdo it at any given time. I do try, however, to keep in mind all the things that people have talked about and referenced as far as the evils of the scale go. I guess what I do is keep track every day, but keep in the back of my mind that progress over a longer length of time (every month, for example), is what is most important.

I think I may have a different feeling about how to use the scale as time goes on. I have been very gradually including exercise into my routine, and starting this coming week that will mean strengthening exercise as well -- muscle building.

Thanks for all the tip about assessing your overall fitness and weightloss *without* using a scale. I will keep it in mind!
Old 01-04-2003, 09:32 AM   #13  

I rarely weigh myself either. Manly because it depresses me! I go by how my clothes fit (tight right now!), Maybe I will start weighing myself, I joined the YMCA 2 days ago! But I won't weigh for at least a month when I start working out. I NEED to see progress!
Old 01-06-2003, 12:06 PM   #14  

Talking Hate the scale!!!

I too hate to weigh myself. For the same reasons many of you do as well. I get on,and it goes up..I get so discouraged. It goes down a pound, and although I am glad it went down...I think.."Only A pound!" Humpff.!!"
I generally go by how my clothes are fitting me. When they seem to be much looser, then I weigh. I only weigh about once or twice a month, but since coming to the sight it has been more frequent. Although, I think that has been my downfall this past week, and made me more sad than anything. I am going to go back to my old method of weighing myself.
Good luck and happy thoughts for you all!!!
Closed Thread