General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #1  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Default Diet Detective on cable tv

I caught a couple of episodes of We channel's Diet Detective yesterday. Never heard or saw that before.

It's a guy who goes to the home of an overweight person (who's applied to be on the show), spends a week with him/her (both were hers in the episodes I saw), goes over diet, exercise and discusses emotional issues with them, then comes back 13 weeks later to see if there's been any progress. The first woman lost 37 lbs (training for a triatholon), the second 0 (I'm not sure why she even applied for the show, she seemed totally unwilling to do anything he suggested, and even showed up 2 hours late to meet him at the gym.

at the end of the second show he said he recommended 90 minutes of cardio for anyone 70 lbs or more overweight 5 to 6 times a week, then resistance 3 times. wow, that sounded like a lot of cardio to me for someone starting out with that much weight to lose. not sure I would have been able to stick it out. what do you think?
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I can't stand that guy!

I know he lost a lot of weight himself, but he is so inarticulate and makes such strange random statements, I don't see how anyone finds it helpful! The amount of time he stays away varies, but you never actually see what the person does for eating and weight loss, but they do get their hair done and new clothes for his, "Oh my gosh, look at you!" reveal. I stopped watching after one guy he had on lost more than 100 pounds in something like 17 weeks with no explanation of how. Irresponsible if you ask me.

I think what's disturbing to me is that it makes fat people seem like ignorant people. Like as a rule they don't know what to eat or that exercise is important. Most fat people I know are highly aware of the SHOULDS, it's putting them into sustained practice that's the problem. To think that someone just spends one week telling you what to do and the weight issue is solved makes me mad.

Whew, thanks for the chance to vent! Apparently that was bugging me more than I thought!

And I also think that's a lot of cardio at the beginning. Those kind of statements just discourage people because it makes it seem like there's no way to be successful if you don't do it that way. But I think if 3FC demonstrates anything it's that there are MANY ways to be successful at this and no one way works for everyone.

Last edited by CLCSC145; 07-16-2009 at 01:39 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 172/161/140

Height: 5'7

i think no one's body is the same, what worked for him might not work on others. we need to find what works best to suit our OWN bodies, not what someone else said. sure diet and exercise are a great option to go, but for some it's not enough and for others there's no hint of a loss. he needs to evaluate each person's body and design a personal plan, not like a 'one size fits all'
Pnut Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #4  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
I can't stand that guy!

I know he lost a lot of weight himself, but he is so inarticulate and makes such strange random statements, I don't see how anyone finds it helpful! The amount of time he stays away varies, but you never actually see what the person does for eating and weight loss, but they do get their hair done and new clothes for his, "Oh my gosh, look at you!" reveal. I stopped watching after one guy he had on lost more than 100 pounds in something like 17 weeks with no explanation of how. Irresponsible if you ask me...
That's one of the reason why I stopped watching the show. I saw few episodes of that show thinking ok, maybe, next one might be different. But, after 2 or 3 episodes later I stopped watching it as there was nothing important to learn from the show except eat healthy and exercise.

Last edited by pintobean; 07-16-2009 at 02:28 PM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #5  

He is actually a great writer, very articulate.
He writes a weekly health and wellness article for our local paper.
Great tips and scientific based data.
I cant speak for the show though.
If anyone is interested to research him his name is Charles Stewart Platkin.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #6  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwoman64 View Post
at the end of the second show he said he recommended 90 minutes of cardio for anyone 70 lbs or more overweight 5 to 6 times a week, then resistance 3 times. wow, that sounded like a lot of cardio to me for someone starting out with that much weight to lose. not sure I would have been able to stick it out. what do you think?
I think he meant to build up to that but he should have said as much. 90 minutes really isn't that much if you break it up over 2 sessions... you can take a walk at lunch (walking is excellent and doable for those 70+ over) and then maybe a more traditional workout later.

At my heaviest weights I was walking 2-4 miles a day after a month or two and I was close to 300lbs then. Some people may need to ease in slower.

Burning calories REALLY helps drop the weight quicker. As long as my diet is on track I find my weight loss is at least double with my workout schedule.

Last edited by Idealmuse; 07-16-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

Is this the same show as "I Want to Save Your Life"?
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #8  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy8888 View Post
Is this the same show as "I Want to Save Your Life"?
Yes.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #9  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
Most fat people I know are highly aware of the SHOULDS, it's putting them into sustained practice that's the problem. To think that someone just spends one week telling you what to do and the weight issue is solved makes me mad.

And I also think that's a lot of cardio at the beginning. Those kind of statements just discourage people because it makes it seem like there's no way to be successful if you don't do it that way. But I think if 3FC demonstrates anything it's that there are MANY ways to be successful at this and no one way works for everyone.
I can see the point of breaking it up during the day. I just remember I was slow to start and if you'd told me do 90 a day, I wouldn't have believed I could do it, ha!

I have seen it where when people hear that it only helps if you do (fill in the time amount) of cardio. then they give up and won't do any. If I personally had tried to do over 10 minutes on the elliptical when I first started going to the gym, I would have collapsed. Now, it's not big deal to do it for whatever amount of time. I guess I was not in very good shape (!)

I get a little addicted to seeing before and after types of weight loss shows, even when I know it's tv and possibly hokey (unexplained) methods.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote