Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 07:53 AM   #1  

Default Low Carb Alternatopics - November

GOING AGAINST THE GRAIN

Following a low carb eating plan is liking driving your very own VW microbus. It automatically makes you part of a counterculture of dieters who have migrated from the low fat eating plans which have been in vogue for the past twenty or so years. Although low carb eating is considered by many to be fad dieting, it has actually been around since William Banting published the first known low carb diet book in 1863. Since then there have been many variations on this theme: the Stillman diet, the Taller diet, the Atkins diet, the Zone, Suzanne Somers, Neanderthin, etc.

Probably the most famous low carb eating plan is the Atkins diet, which has been around since it was first published in a book by Dr. Robert Atkins in 1972. When most people read or hear about low carb dieting –it is usually in reference to the induction phase of the Atkins diet. The induction phase sharply restricts the intake of carbohydrates for a determined period of time – usually 2 weeks.

There is much more to low carb eating than the Atkins diet and living on a steady diet of bacon and eggs – talk to anyone who’s been successfully following this way of eating over a long period of time.

That said – there are many factors to be considered when embarking on such a plan. We each have our own tolerances, preferences, weight goals and health issues. Some of us have diabetic or pre-diabetic conditions and for others, this may be the only way of eating that allows us to lose more than just a few pounds and keep them off over the long term, but it’s probably not suited for everybody – it is definitely an individual situation.

Currently, this way of eating is working for me and it is helping me address some of my own personal health concerns.

In order for me to lose more than 50 lbs, I need to stay under 40 grams of carbs a day. When I do eat carbohydrate foods, I stick to the ones that have minimal impact on my blood sugar: most green veggies and moderate amounts of low carb bread and a low carb dessert. I don’t eat any starchy vegetables, grains or sugar and only certain kinds of fruit and dairy foods.

For breakfast most days I have a protein shake or low carb cereal or low carb muffin or low carb toast. Occasionally I’ll have eggs and maybe a slice of ham.

For lunch I either have cheese and low carb bread or crackers, a tuna or chef salad or a couple homemade protein bars (peanut butter- yummy!)

For dinner I have a regular meal –one that doesn’t include starchy veggies or grains. That means I might eat pot roast cooked with tomatoes and celery, with a salad on the side or stir fried tofu with broccoli – or like last night – seafood bisque. I did buy a low carb pizza crust mix – but I haven’t tried it yet.

I have found ways around things like pasta and potatoes, about the only thing I really miss is rice. I am an Asian food hound. Maybe once I reach maintenance, I’ll add rice back in limited amounts.

I also have a dessert each night – it could be a couple sugar free taffies, a low carb caffe latte, or a small serving of one of the yummy low carb cheesecake or chocolate cake recipes.

I have to say that after 15 years of eating lowfat salad dressing and I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Spray – it is a joy to have a Greek salad – real olives, real olive oil and real feta cheese – haven’t eaten those in so long.

I do get carb cravings - when that happens, I make a myself a cup of really good coffee and have a couple pieces of sugar free chocolate. That seems to work for me. My husband is also following this plan and what he misses most is popcorn! When I go to the movies, I usually put some sunflower seeds in my purse for us so that the smell of popcorn doesn’t overwhelm us LOL.

I am part Italian, so carbs have always been a way of life. This is not easy, but few things worth doing usually are.

Please share your low carb eating plan suggestions, ideas or questions.

Thanks, Terri
Old 11-01-2002, 01:31 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good stuff, Terri. I'll holler for you next time we get someone doing a major diss on LC in the Low Carb Forum.

My Doctor is very supportive of a lower carb lifestyle and so is my doctor friend who is an endocrinologist at the Ottawa Hospital Weight Loss Clinic. Note I'm saying LOWER not NO carbs.

Right now I am doing lots of reading on LC for Diabetics. I've just started taking Metformin for insulin resistance and sure as heck want the right diet.

As some of you know, I've had a lifelong battle with weight and NOW they tell me I have PCOS and insulin resistance! I should have been born 40 years later. (But then I'd have missed the Esther WIlliams movies!)
Old 11-02-2002, 01:51 PM   #3  
a brave new me...

Default Ruthxxx...

I was just diagnosed with PCOS a couple of weeks ago and also started metformin. My appetite has really dropped since starting the medication, which is fine with me. Have you had any side effects with the meds? Thankfully I have been doing really well and am already up to the full dose.

My doctor hasn't said anything to me about diet changes. I am going to start limiting white flour and sugar products but I still will eat all whole grains and vegetables and fruits. I really don't eat a lot of meat and I'm not about to start, however lean chicken and seafood are pretty much staples for me and I will stick with that too.

This PCOS diagnosis is pretty devastating to me, as we are trying to get pregnant (now in month 11). The PCOS coupled with my husband's fertility problems are making the chances for children look pretty grim. But it would seem that my PCOS isn't too severe, as my cycles appear to be regular. I haven't been dealing very well with the whole thing these last couple of weeks and am very, very depressed.
Old 11-02-2002, 02:33 PM   #4  

Sojo - I am sorry to hear this news and about your challenges with becoming pregnant and your feelings of depression.

We are here for you, grrlfriend. I don't know very much about PCOS, but I know there is a PCOS board here on 3FC somewhere and there seems to be a lot of info elsewhere online. Perhaps the thes folks have info on managing this condition and also pregnancy related issues?

I don't know, I'm just trying to find the right words to let you know I care.

Hugs, Terri
Old 11-03-2002, 07:59 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hi Teri!

Thanks for posting "Going Against the Grain". I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the low carb diet.

Unfortunately some people think that low carb automatically means, high fat, lots of red meat, and no grain products (pasta, bread, rice, etc).
Although there are some diets out there that do take the extreme many low carb diets are not that restrictive.

My personal way of eating is a mix of the Suzanne Somers diet and my own ideas of what I want to eat.

I do the following:

-Eat as many natural foods as possible

-Eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits

-Eat some protein with every meal, focusing mainly on chicken, turkey, some pork, fish, canned tuna and a little red meat.

-Eat whole grain products such as wheat or oat bran bread, whole wheat pasta and couscous, and brown rice although not with every meal.

-Trying to eat more organic products

-reading my food labels and avoiding hidden sugars such as glucose, fructose and molasses (why is there sugar in spaghetti sauce???)

-making my own meals and not buying pre-fab food or frozen food or commercially prepared salad dressing, fresh food tastes best anyway.

-not buying junk food for the house-if it is out of sight it is out of mind

-I rarely eat at fast food places and always brown bag my lunches for work

The only things I don't eat are potatos, bananas. beets, corn and carrots, they are a once in a while treat and I actually enjoy the taste of them more when I do have them .

Since I have started this program I have felt healthier, had more energy and have stopped feeling sluggish at 4pm every day.

I eat well and I get some excercise everyday, be it my two 25 minute walks per day, swimming or Belly dancing.

I also make sure to have milk or dairy products everyday to help prevent osteopirosis.

Different plans work for different people but I feel that this is working for me
Old 11-03-2002, 09:05 PM   #6  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Tomorrow I am starting Bill Philips, Body for Life challenge. I am excited about it, and want to give it my all. It sounds very healthy and the results are wonderful. I will keep you all informed.
Virginia
Old 11-04-2002, 05:48 PM   #7  

Barefoot's Beef Sukiyaki Recipe
- serves 4 to 6 depending

2 lbs. thinly sliced sirloin
1 cup scallions chopped
1 cup celery chopped
1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup bamboo shoots
2 - 8oz. cans of yam noodles (also known as shiritaki or konnyaku noodles)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tsp rice wine
4 oz. sesame oil
2 tbsp Splenda
chunks of tofu (optional)

Melt butter in a large skillet. Sautee sliced meat until light pink. Add bamboo shoots, noodles, celery, mushrooms, scallions and cook about another 8 minutes. Add wine, oil, Splenda, stir and serve.

I have not had a chance to run this through Fitday, but I estimate approx. 5-7 carbs per serving.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:50 PM   #8  

Virginia - I hear so much about BFL - pls let me know how you find it - I really don't know much about it. I post on a Low Carb board and one of the women explained that the exercise component works really well for her - but the food program is hard to stick with.

I am anxious to hear how it works for you.

Terri
Old 11-04-2002, 05:54 PM   #9  

Mauvais - also on that Low Carb board - we have a guy who swears by the Suzanne Somer program. He "Somercizes" his favorite Italian recipes and posts them for us. I really don't know much about it - except that it looks like you're eliminating foods high on the glycemic index?

Have you tried her Somersweet product?

Curious - Terri - some people swear by spaghetti squash in place of linguini.......but I don't know about that
Old 11-04-2002, 10:28 PM   #10  

Curious Teri-Which low carb board is that? There is a guy on the Suzanne Somers site that shares his recipes and is a great cook. He is only 18 and makes up his own recipes, he is apparently going to go to chef school-how cool is that!

Somercizing also incorporates food combining, which seems to be the hardest part for most people at first, you get used to it though.

I have not tried any of the Suzanne Somers products as they are in U.S. $$$ and a pain to ship everything over the border Although she is sometimes on the Home Shopping Network flogging her excercise stuff and that face manipulator thinggy what is up with that thing? wonder if it actually works.
I think she sometimes has her Somercize stuff on the show but I never tune in often enough to see it.

I do like her WOE and her philosophy of eating home cooked meals and forgoing overly processed foods. I just watched a Simpson's episode where the town of Sprinfield had banned all sugar and Homer and his buddies were smuggling sugar into the town illegally it was a funny yet sad reflection on North American eating habits.

Thanks for the recipe-it looks yummy
Old 11-05-2002, 06:48 PM   #11  
a brave new me...

Hey... good luck with the Body for Life. Its a great eating and exercise program but a lot of hard work. My dh and I tried it for several weeks but I just couldn't keep it up... you have to really commit to it. But you will get amazing results. If I had more ambition I would do it again.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:55 PM   #12  

Height: 5'-2"

Terri, yum yum!! Thank you for the recipe! Now would you mind coming over here and chopping everything up for me?
Old 11-08-2002, 09:09 AM   #13  

What do the lowcarbers on this forum eat for lunch?

I brown bag my lunch to the office everyday and I am running out of ideas for portable lunches. Unfortunately my office does not have a microwave but I do have a good thermos for hot stuff.

Any suggestions would be great!
Old 11-08-2002, 01:08 PM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

wings, cheese and meat rollups, shrimp, leftover pork chops or steak, pork rinds with cream cheese, hard boiled eggs, meat and veggie stir-fry from the night before, cold sausages..........and usually some veggies!
Old 11-08-2002, 04:22 PM   #15  

me:

in the office: store bought or homemade protein bars or celery stuffed with cream cheese and olives or sugar free peanut or almond butter, laughing cow pre-wrapped cheeses and low carb crackers, ready to drink protein shakes.....

at home: homemade low carb soup, tuna w/REAL mayo on lettuce, cold cuts and cheese (favorite: deli corn beef, topped with a slice of swiss, put some sauerkraut on top and nuke for a couple minutes - eat with dill pickles and mustard)

on the road: McDonalds or Burger King - large cheeseburger - no bun, no ketchup, extra pickles

Terri
Closed Thread