Old 07-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/262/120

Height: 4'7"

Default Anyone watch Big Medicine Tonight

Hi,

I'm new and this is my first post, but I was somewhat curious to ask if anyone had watched Big Medicine tonight. I'm interested in seeing your opinions regarding a particular statement made by one of the Drs.

The son...Garth...made a comment that (and I am paraphrasing, but it isn't taken out of context) only 3% of obese people managed to lose the weight via diet and exercise; and that those who were able to do so did it under a supervised diet and exercise program.

I wonder what other people's opinions are of this statement.

I'm not a huge fan of statistics, as they can be skewed to give a certain impression, but it seems pretty damning and discouraging to think that 97% of people who are overweight are basically screwed unless they have surgery or undergo a supervised program. Heck, my insurance has a specific exclusion for weight loss surgery. So, if I am not able to either pay for it or a weightloss program on my own I am destined to be part of the doomed 97%.

Hmmmm, at least my insurance covers anti-depressants,lol.
Esoterica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hey, the guy performs bariatric surgery. The patients that he sees haven't been successful on their own. From his perspective, EVERYONE who comes through his door wants the surgery. And he makes $$$ from doing it. You are asking the salesman if you have to buy his wares. And of course, from HIS perspective, YOU HAVE TO. So his advice may be a bit - ahem - skewed, so to speak. Because statistics can mean whatever you want them to mean. And you can use them to prove any point. IMHO.

Lots of obese people can and do lose the weight. And even keep it off. Without surgery.

Now, surgery IS a viable option, if you so choose. And I make no judgement about that particular path. We all have the power to CHOOSE, and NOONE is doomed to a life of obesity, unless they choose to follow that path.

Remember, if you are a hammer, every problem is a nail.

JMHO

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 07-15-2009 at 11:05 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 268/262/120

Height: 4'7"

Default Oh, another point

Hey Kira,

Thanks for the response. Another thing I forgot to note, which I find makes your point about asking the salesman: The plastic surgery recipient this week was a man who lost approx. 350lbs.....via a weight loss program held at (I BELIEVE, but cannot verify) the very hospital the bariatric surgeons work at.

I don't recall seeing anyone who had lost weight that wasn't due to weight loss surgery on the show. Though, I haven't watched every single episode so I can't vouch for the veracity the fact it was at their hospital, but don't think it feasible to think that they would focus on some stranger who walked into a non-affiliated plastic surgeon from a non-affiliated program.
Esoterica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:57 AM   #4  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

3 percent is A LOT of people if you consider the obesity statistics... but saying all of those were on supervised programs is pretty silly. Most of the maintainers I've talked to basically did their own thing.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think obesity is tough to beat. Even the success rate for bariatric surgery is only about 40% (bariatric surgeons say the modern procedures have a higher success rate, but so far those numbers have not been made available). I think success was measured as any weight loss maintained, which would mean 60% gain all of it back or more. I do think those odds seem a bit high, but I only know 4 people who had the surgery and only two have stayed under obese levels. Of the other two, one is larger than she started, and the other maintained about 70 lbs lost (she was 300 lbs, had lost and had lost about 130 lbs and then gained 60). She's been able to maintain the 70 lbs for about 5 years, but she says that she struggles to do so.

I don't give the success rate statistics that much thought. The cure rate for pancreatic cancer is pretty low, but if I had it, I'd fight it and not worry about the statistics.

I have health issues that make me a very poor wls candidate. I have vitamin absorption problems as it is, as well as autoimmune disease (probably connective tissue), so both lapband and bypass surgery would likely have risky complications. So, while there are surgeons who would be willing to operate despite the risks, I'm not willing to consider surgery at this time (if I haven't lost any more weight this time next year, maybe I'll reconsider, but for now I'll have to try to be in the 3%).

I have made a lot more than a hundred weight loss attempts, so my personal success rate is far less than 3%. I'm currently beating my best record by quite some time/lbs. Before this time, I had never maintained a losing streak or gone without a regain for so long. I've been on a downward trend for about 3 years (before that my "record" was about 14 months). I've also lost more weight than I ever have in previous attempts. So, I'm doing more than 99% better than I ever have before.

Beating the odds is always possible. I'm not going to judge anyone for using or choosing not to use any tools (including wls) to fight this battle. Or even people who decide the fight isn't worth it. It's a very personal journey, and it's a very difficult one, but of course I believe that success is possible or I wouldn't be here.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:45 AM   #6  

Height: 5ft6'

I think that 3% seems kinda acurate to me if you think about the rate of obesity today. There are alot of amazing success stories but waaaay more people give up or gain it back or whatever. BUT these are statistics and no statistic should influence what you as an indavidual does. If you want this you ABSOLUTLY can do it. We all can.

Just because not everyone does, does not mean that you cannot.
And as my hubby always says..."67% of statistics can be made to say whatever you want 37% of the time" lol.

Last edited by TraceyElaine; 07-16-2009 at 06:46 AM.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #7  

I've seen numbers between 80% and 97% for recividism but statistics describe a trend, it doesn't predict for individuals. Just because your neighbors can't lose weight or keep the weight off doesn't mean that you can't. And the process isn't "time limited" -- like most people, I've made multiple attempts to lose the weight. Most of my attempts have ended at predicted -- I dieted/exercised stringently then "took a vacation" and gained most, if not more, back. But these last two or three, I've dieted/exercised and even if I went off plan for weeks/months, I didn't gain more than half of it back and I got back on a new plan and started off again. The first of these rounds, I was on my own -- I did Atkins and worked out at the Y for nine months and lost just shy of 100 pounds. This last go-round, I'm working with a trainer at the Y and plan to continue to do so at least until I see 138 on my scale. But I'm "dieting" on my own. I vaguely remember something from one of my Optifast attempts about successful "changers" very often had to go through several attempts before they found what worked for them.

Thanks,

Barb
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #8  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I was just talking to bf about how personal the wl journey is. Like when I say something here, it comes from what I've experienced in my ups and downs and struggles, which is unique to me (though some people may relate to some of it).

I had to lose and gain a bunch of times, and went through several calorie levels (from 1200, to 1600, to 1800 on various diet plans) to get to a place where I felt mentally comfortable enough with my eating (was a real compulsive over eater) so that I feel like I can maintain, even lose, and not gain back weight. for me, being overly restrictive can lead me back to a compulsive eating way of thinking.

and working on the exercise, building it up, has helped so much mentally and physically. I did that slowly too. I mean, if I had my way, I'd much rather zoom through this and be at goal. It's a balance, sticking to what I know works for me, figuring out what isn't working and how to fix it, and keeping myself calm and positive through the whole process!

so statistics can be telling on one level, and superficial on another. for lots of people "failing" on one diet (supervised or not), doesn't mean that person will never get and keep the weight off.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #9  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

I've heard between 3-5%. It seems to be pretty accurate, and on my low days, that % screams in my ear and discourages me, it's really hard to NOT let it. but we have to try.

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I find it hard to believe it's 3%. And if it is, be in the 3%. I know I know, easier said then done, but if I've learned one thing, NOTHING about losing weight is easy. Do what works, many many many ppl here have lost weight on a variety of difft ways.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #11  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I didn't realize that people really could regain a lot of weight after surgery. All the stories I've heard, people talk about how their stomachs just can't hold much food anymore and they only eat a little. I'm not being facetious, just wondering how that works? (the weight gain, I mean)
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #12  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I think what happens is that your stomach is surgically made smaller, and your absorption is rerouted. BUT, you can stretch the size of the pouch if you just keep eating. And if you stretch it, you will have more food available to digest, and you'll put the weight on. And you can just kind of continually eat -- if you have to have say 5 meals a day, you might start having 7 or 8...it is gradual but your stomach WILL stretch right back out.

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Well, I'm not much for statistics. I'm one of those people who think that most statistics are bogus as the data can be manipulated to say so many different things. But, there is one thing I do know from hanging around here at 3FC. Losing a large amount of weight with a great diet and exercise plan is possible. Maintaining that loss is possible. People around here are doing this every month. So, the heck with the statistics. They don't decide our fate.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 07-16-2009 at 10:50 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #14  
Ironman in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitChick View Post
I didn't realize that people really could regain a lot of weight after surgery. All the stories I've heard, people talk about how their stomachs just can't hold much food anymore and they only eat a little. I'm not being facetious, just wondering how that works? (the weight gain, I mean)
Not only the stretching that was mentioned, but also bad food choices. Hey know how many calories in a tiny little milkshake? Know how many of them you can knock back in a day even with a small stomach pouch or one that has been stretched? WLS is only a tool you have to work the program for it to be a success. I was about 2 steps away from considering it myself, but I'm glad I'm doing it this way. You have to learn to behave either way.

Last edited by Idealmuse; 07-17-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #15  
Ironman in Training

Another thing while the statistic on WLS success are better then traditional weight loss... They are only some what better... and that probably because most people who go for surgery are REALLY serious about wanting to make it work. You have to be pretty damn serious to let someone cut you open! Lots of dieters say they are trying but only half-*** attempt. Other peoples efforts don't really mean much when your comparing it to your own dedication.

I can't remember the numbers being tossed around but I think most people only lose 80 percent of the weight and about 50 percent regain some of it with WLS after some number of years... or something like that.

Bottom line is you can be just as successful and you want to be, but it does take consistency. Again 3 percent (If true) is A LOT of successful people. We can all be one of them.