Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 09:58 PM   #1  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Question MommyStyle?

Okay, I need y'alls advice and opinon. I was watching TV on Saturday morning and saw an infomercial for something called The Smart Technique Automatic Fat Loss Program. Basically, it's a series of hypnosis-type CDs that targets subconscious habits through subliminal messages. I'm seriously considering purchasing this, but it costs about $100. Even though I can afford it with no problem, it's still a lot of money!

I have checked into it, and the science seems sounds. Also, it comes with a six-week money back guarantee. Still, I don't know. Part of me says that I'm just a weenie because I'm obviously not willing to exercise or eat right or do any of the things I should do. Part of me says that if I REALLY wanted to lose this weight, I would just shut the **** up and do it. Then again, part of me says that maybe some habits are so deeply ingrained that I need this sort of subconscious tinkering to get it fixed.

I hope the 3FC's don't consider this advertising, because I'm just soliciting opinions. You can find the program I'm talking about at www.mommystyle.com.

As always, thanks for your help and support!
Old 11-04-2002, 10:34 PM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Jennelle - my competely honest opinion is that sometimes we just hope and wish there is something out there that will make this easier to do. But there isn't. It's just making the better choices and moving our butts. Sweetie, save your money.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:05 AM   #3  

Hi,

I'm embarassed to say I actually ordered that set, but then came to my senses and called and canceled the order. I really don't think it would work. The only thing that does it to eat less and exercise.

Sherry
Old 11-05-2002, 08:16 AM   #4  

You said "the science seems sound." Unfortunately, there are so many, so many studies published that seem to validate the desired result, but if a true scientist were to have access to all the actual data she would discover glaring flaws in the research. The most common error is setting out to prove something when true scientific method is to set out to DISprove something

Well, ultimately, I guess what I mean is I'm a skeptic. I always feel that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is! I've never heard of this system you're talking about, but it sounds similar to many I've heard of. I tried some subliminal tapes years ago ... didn't work. At all.

If I had $100 to spare, I'd buy myself a new pair of workout shoes. And a massage.

Pen
265/218.5/150ish
Old 11-05-2002, 08:22 AM   #5  

Okay, I just peeked at the website ... you could probably do just as well putting yourself through a routine of relaxation exercises and journalling to explore those ingrained habits and attitudes. You can find lots of books that will help you on a journey of self-exploration and relaxation at the library for free!

BUT ... if you've got $100 to spare and don't want to do all the kind of research yourself, I wouldn't call you stupid to order their system. I would reiterate what Sandi said, though -- don't expect it to be some kind of magic fix.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:43 AM   #6  

VOE here. I have (years ago) gone to some hypnosis seminars for weight loss and used their tapes. You feel pretty good for a while and the hypnosis tapes are basically relaxation tapes. But for actual weight loss results - would I still be here at 3FC?

I also do relaxation tapes for my arthritis pain and am fairly good at taking a few minutes of relaxation from time to time. But this you can do yourself.

The tapes may be helpful in changing your mindset but that's something you can do in so many ways. Mine say things like "I will eat healthy food", "I will not overeat", etc. They say them in a soothing way and frankly I usually fall asleep before the end.

For the process to work, you have to do it every day and in the same amount of time you could take a good walk.

The "seminars" I took are still offered in my area and I would imagine many others. They might even be less expensive. I can't say I'm sorry I took them (the second was actually based on the money back guarantee so didn't cost me anything) but I don't think they're really the answer, just another "accessory" to weight loss. They don't hurt and the relaxation part is nice when you're overstressed (as I know you are).

Last edited by anagram; 11-05-2002 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:08 AM   #7  

I saw the infomercial and I thought it was pretty funny. Those "Mommy" gals seem to pitch just about anything for a buck. My personal opinion is that if you want to address the "mindset" issues of weight loss, read Dr. Phil McGraw's "Life Strategies". This book saved my life.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:16 PM   #8  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Sorry, I have to agree here. If this was the magic pill, do you think it would be on an infomerical and not in, say, a New England Journal of Medicine? I say still spend the $100 but on something that motivates your butt, like water aerobics classes. Or if you need some meditation and relaxation, there are yoga classes designed specifically for that (minimal movement, concentrating more on looking in).

Don't do it!
Old 11-05-2002, 01:14 PM   #9  
hot mom wanna be!

I have to agree with everyone else, if it was "all that" then why arent our doctors recomending hypnosis? My mom went to a hypnosis center and still belongs there but quit going! She had to stop for a valid reason but once she could go back she didnt. I think hypnosis works for some because they THINK it's working. It's like giving someone a sugar pill but telling them its medicine and they start feeling better. Its amazing what the mind can do!

Also about doing something else with the money-you might be able to join a ladies gym in your area for 100.00. Around here you join for like 30.00 a month no contracts. So 100 would be three months. Imagine what 3 months of almost daily workouts would mean to your body-Cindy Crawford look out!

laura
Old 11-05-2002, 03:39 PM   #10  

I want the magic pill too!!!!! Believe me, you are not ignorant nor stupid to even think about this program. How many different approaches have we all taken? Countless times.

And you know what....if I would run into someone I knew and they had fantastic weighloss results from uhm....standing on their head every morning for 3 hrs or from reading the telephone book backwards for a year....****...I'd do it.

I'd take that lil magic pill that we all dream about....in a heart beat.

But sadly...we all know..there isn't one. It doesn't exist..not in hypnosis either.

WARNING: This is just MY opinion.

lol

Old 11-05-2002, 05:48 PM   #11  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Thanks, girls. I already knew the answer...just had to hear it from y'all! It's just a matter of wanting that damn magic pill! And really, I already have everything I need here...a good pair of walking shoes, a brand-new Bowflex...I just need to DO IT!

Jenniffer - LOL about reading the telephone book backwards! I have been on SO many crazy diets! (hmmm...let's start a thread!)
Closed Thread