Old 07-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #1  

Default Where to buy Farmers cheese?

Hi all,
I couldn't find Farmers cheese at Safeway or Whole Foods. I don't really want to make it myself, does anyone have a suggestion as to where to find it?

Thanks!
RisaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/160.8/130

Height: 5'2

What is Farmer's Cheese?
Are you talking about the cream you get from churning fresh milk?
asherdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #3  
Remodeling The Temple

S/C/G: 229.5/161.5/149.5

Farmer's cheese is just hard block cheese like you find at the grocery store. Kraft or store brand. Just hard cheese.
silverbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 171/160.8/130

Height: 5'2

oh, ok. Thanks Silverbelle.
asherdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #5  

Thanks Silverbelle!
RisaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 279.5/195.5/166

Height: 5' 11"

Farmer's cheese is not a hard cheese like cheddar or colby. I bought some last month because I read someone raving about how wonderful it was....it wasn't wonderful, sort of like cottage cheese with all of the moisture drained out and then left overnight on the counter! I couldn't even eat my allowed portion and ended up throwing it away. Might be perfectly fine for cooking though.
Probably more likely to find it in with the specialty cheeses.
msim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #7  
Remodeling The Temple

My center describes it as 'hard cheese'...once again, depends on where you go. I've never seen anything like what you are describing, msim.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #8  
Walk By Faith †

S/C/G: 269.5/ticker/153

Height: 5'7"

My center also described it as anything you can pinch between your fingers and it doesnt smoosh. Block form....the shredded cheese has something else in it that they prefer you not to have. Block is best....nothing like cream cheese...cheez whiz...etc...
Dedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 239/239/140

Height: 5'7"

Default OP, I don't know where you are, but

King Soopers (Krogers, City Market) has it. You can either order it at the deli counter sliced, or look in the specialty cheeses section for a small-ish, round package. (a round "block" of 8 oz. or so) (useful for grating). The brand name I have in my fridge is "May-Bud". The rest of the label reads as follows: "Farmer's Cheese Semi-soft part skim cheese. 8 oz. Distributed by Churney Corporation Inc., Weyauwega, WI 54983"

The nutrition facts are: Calories: 100 for 1 oz serving, total fat 8 grams, sodium 220 mg, total carbs: under 1 gram, Protein 6 grams

It contains pasturized part-skim milk, cheese culture, salt, and enzymes. In my opinion, it is price-y. I think it is around $7.99 a pound, sliced at the deli counter. I think the 8-oz package was around $4.99 or $5.99

It does not have a strong cheese taste like cheddar. To me it tastes more like a not-too flavorful mozzerella or provolone, and it is sort of rubbery, but not string-y when heated. It is pretty mild, and takes a little getting used to. (Think skim milk vs 2% or whole milk.) Remember the fat is where the flavor is! It is low-fat, but my center said it was not lower-fat by much, negligible, really, and it was ok to use any cheese that you could grate.

They also said to stay away from pre-packaged grated cheese, as it had corn starch mixed with it to keep the grated cheese from sticking or clumping together in the package.
SkinnyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyWallet View Post
King Soopers (Krogers, City Market) has it. You can either order it at the deli counter sliced, or look in the specialty cheeses section for a small-ish, round package. (a round "block" of 8 oz. or so) (useful for grating). The brand name I have in my fridge is "May-Bud". The rest of the label reads as follows: "Farmer's Cheese Semi-soft part skim cheese. 8 oz. Distributed by Churney Corporation Inc., Weyauwega, WI 54983"

The nutrition facts are: Calories: 100 for 1 oz serving, total fat 8 grams, sodium 220 mg, total carbs: under 1 gram, Protein 6 grams

It contains pasturized part-skim milk, cheese culture, salt, and enzymes. In my opinion, it is price-y. I think it is around $7.99 a pound, sliced at the deli counter. I think the 8-oz package was around $4.99 or $5.99

It does not have a strong cheese taste like cheddar. To me it tastes more like a not-too flavorful mozzerella or provolone, and it is sort of rubbery, but not string-y when heated. It is pretty mild, and takes a little getting used to. (Think skim milk vs 2% or whole milk.) Remember the fat is where the flavor is! It is low-fat, but my center said it was not lower-fat by much, negligible, really, and it was ok to use any cheese that you could grate.

They also said to stay away from pre-packaged grated cheese, as it had corn starch mixed with it to keep the grated cheese from sticking or clumping together in the package.
WHAT??? I'M SHOCKED! HAD NO IDEA PRE-PKGD GRTD CHEESE MIGHT HAVE ADDED CORN STARCH ADDED... Holy cow, new thought there. My center never mentioned this. Thanks for the info.
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 206/169/130

Height: 5'2"

Never was told about the corn starch or not use grated cheese either. Oh well, hadn't used it but once or twice.
Lori123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 201/178/130

Height: 5'3"

I love farmer's cheese! It is my #1 choice for a hard cheese. I don't have any trouble finding it at Hy-Vee or Baker's/Kroger. I like to buy the whole block and slice off what I need, but the deli will slice it for me anytime I ask. I have also found it at some Walmarts.
lookingforaloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 256/217.5/150

Height: 5' 2"

So I take it string cheese is a no no then?
Fifties Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 169.5/ticker/139

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifties Lady View Post
So I take it string cheese is a no no then?
I have been eating the 2% grated colby/jack or mild cheddar. Hasn't seemed to effect me much. I did buy the Kraft block today because they were out of shredded. I will admit, it is much cheaper to shred myself.
khunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #15  
Remodeling The Temple

There is a tomato basil salad in the cookbook that calls for sliced string cheese (I think) so it is okay to use.