Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 12:16 PM   #1  
Turtle Buddy

Default Turtle Club #85

Hi, Everyone,

Here's my "official" version of the fable:

The Hare and the Tortoise

A hare met a tortoise one day and made fun of him for the slow and clumsy way in which he walked.

The tortoise laughed and said, "I will run a race with you any time that you choose."

"Very well," replied the hare, "we will start at once."

The tortoise immediately set off in his slow and steady way without waiting a moment or looking back. The hare, on the other hand, treated the matter as a joke and decided to take a little nap before starting, for she thought that it would be an easy matter to overtake her rival.

The tortoise plodded on, and meanwhile the hare overslept herself, with the result that she arrived at the winning-post only to see that the tortoise had got in before her.

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race.

This comes from a book handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. The book is so old it doesn't have a copyright date or an author/editor's credit.

That fable has been the motivation for us turtles for about three years. Someone on the ancient WW forum mentioned the fable and I discovered it was very motivational for me. I talked about it in posts and other people said that the tortoise philosophy worked for them, too. So, I started a thread for us turtle types.

We work toward accepting that our bodies have a natural speed of weight loss when we choose to live a healthy life, instead of "going on a diet". Many of us have experienced "the diets" as go on/lose weight-- go off/ gain the weight plus more back.

We choose to perservere with each choice we make throughout the day. We believe that choosing to be slow, steady turtles helps us to learn the skills we need to in order to lose and keep off the weight. Our main focus is to become the healthiest people we can be.

So, welcome to all who realize that losing and maintaining a weight loss is a lifestyle change. And who want support as we all learn the skills we need to successfully make the changes that will allow us to reach our goals.

Lin
Old 10-29-2002, 12:54 PM   #2  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

It's been a while since I've had time to post.

Kaylets--Tucking your shirt in is so cool! Congrats on the weight loss. That's super cool! BTW--How fast you lose weight is irrelevant to whether you are a turtle. You are a turtle if you are persistent and don't give up. If the weight decides to come off more quickly, we just call that serendipity.

Kathy--I hope you're feeling better. I also hope that you and your sister had a great time with your mud bath.

Terri--That hip sounds painful. It will be hard to sit when you're used to moving, but it's only for a little while.

Lauren--It's good to hear from you. It's so cool that you have more work. We understand that you don't have a lot of time to post. It sounds like you really enjoyed your walk. Good luck with your efforts to get back into the swing of things.

I'm super busy. I'm not following WW very well right now. I hate posting that, but being honest is the only way I know how to be. I have so many other things going on that I'm making an effort to choose healthy foods, drink my water, take my supplements, and get some walking in. That's what I can do right now.

My son that's in college hasn't found a job, yet. I'm polling my family to see if we can put together an ongoing fund to keep him in school. He is continuing to search for work, but his initial funds are running out. My mother is going in for a CAT scan next week. They found a spot in her lungs that they initially thought was related to the pneumonia she had, but it turns out it's not. Some good vibes and prayers would be welcome.

I'm extra busy, which is why I haven't posted much lately. I have three writing projects, plus critiques for my classmates to do. I have to send out several resumes for possible jobs in San Jose. They're all long shots, but I'm guaranteed not to get them if I don't try. I have the 2 boards I help moderate, plus they want help with a few smaller boards and I'm doing one of those. I've been asked to mentor a new host on the Harry Potter boards and to help moderate an ongoing brainstorming session on one of the sites. Boy do I wish I could figure out how to get paid to do this!! The team leaders on the Warner Bros. boards get paid and they work from home. They don't have to be in NY, where WB's headquarters are.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
Old 10-29-2002, 06:17 PM   #3  

Smile Tantalizing Tuesday

Just a quick reply for you Lin--

The crazed, worried times in our lives is when we can't let guilt in about our journey-- As you said so well, persistence is the turtle way and from you're description, you are persisting- making the best choice from the options avialable, getting in water and walking-- You are doing the best you can considering what is going on--
You would say the same to any of us - so it must be right!!

Old 10-30-2002, 07:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies

I'm working on my attitude this week. I'd fallen into a apathetic, bored with it all 'tude and that isn't good. I'm really trying to like this idea of having to sit down. I've gotten back into reading and have been organizing my ceramics so that I can start painting again. I had gotten so busy with house projects that I'd let those things I enjoy slip away. My main goal is not to sit and eat! It has been so cold and dreary here for days. Hard to be motivated to do anything without sunsine for nine days.

I really need to be motivated to go to work here quickly!

Lin - Don't beat yourself up for not being totally focused on WW. Sometimes, life just has to come first. You're doing the right things by trying to make healthy food choice and getting in walking when you can. You'll get back in the groove when you can. You do such interesting things. Do you get to sleep with all your writing and moderating?? You'll be in our prayers for your mother and for your son. Take care of yourself!

I really need to get moving now!

Have a great OP day!
Old 10-31-2002, 10:04 AM   #5  

Hi Turtles, busy busy, just have time for a quick note. I'm in the middle of midterms and life is crazy right now.

I'm maintaining my 4 pound loss, yay, and really making changes in my body composition--4% body fat lost! So this is a good thing. I've also lost an inch around my biceps from all the rock climbing, so that's nice too. I'm plugging away at it in the true turtle way, and really trying to focus on setting new patterns and doing "what I can do for the rest of my life".

I'm glad everyone is doing well, wow we've become prolific posters lately! Or maybe I need to get here more often, right? I'll try, but right now I have to go to the gym. Bye Turtles!
Old 11-01-2002, 07:40 PM   #6  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Hi Turtles,
My computer keeps freezing on me, so I'm gonna try to get this in fast.

Lin,
Hugs to you for your mom and son. I love to hear about all the interesting things you're doing. Surely one of these efforts might
like to pay you lots per year!

Mousie,
Big congrats on your success. You have been so perservering and it's great to hear you're doing well. Good luck on your mid-terms.

Teri,
Sorry you need to sit to heal. You are so smart to think of projects you can do during this time that avoid food!

Kaylets,
Always good to hear from you. Keep up the great loss.

Lauren,
Glad you could post even though you're so busy. I keep you in mind all the time as I have my weight loss challenges. Thanks for the inspiration.

As far as me,
I'm coming to terms with the millions of temptations I face with food each day and week. We are so much more sociable than I ever realized.I have started to cut back on food again and can see myself becoming successful soon. I have gotten on the treadmill and my new sneakers are working out great.
You all take care and keep on keepin' on.
Love,
Judy
Old 11-05-2002, 11:44 AM   #7  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I don't have much time this month. I have all of those words to write for the November novel challenge. I'm actually doing really well with it so far.

It looks like we all have been super busy. People's rate of posting is way down. I hope you all are doing well. But just in case you're struggling, remember that even if we're not posting, most of us are reading. So don't think that you won't get the support you need because it "seems" like no one is there. We're here. And nothing brings a flurry of posts than a turtle in trouble.

Kaylets--thanks for the pep talk. It really helped.

Terri--Ditto. I'm glad that you have found a way to make the most of your enforced inactivity. That will reduce the stress of being forced to do something you don't want to do. That will reduce the inclination to eat instead. BTW--I know you were joking, but I sleep as much as my body needs. If I don't, I overeat and don't get anything done. That was a hard lesson, but one well-learned.

Erin--I hope midterms went well. Yay! You're doing so well. We always knew you would find what your body needs!

Judy--It seems that the first step to solving a problem is the one you've been working on--figuring out exactly what that problem is. Then you can figure out some strategies to deal with it. You're doing great.

I'm debating a major change. I'm still researching this, but so far I haven't seen anything that says it's unhealthy. One of my son's friends has started the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, although he isn't interested in losing his extra pounds, specifically. He's hoping to just not be hungry all the time and he said it's working for him.

The name put me off back in the '90's when I first heard about it, so I never read it. My son sent it to me because he had observed that the symptoms the authors talk about are exactly like me. And like no one else in my household, but a lot like my birth family. He sent me the original, but being the thorough person I am, I bought the updated, current version. It has a decade more research behind it. The authors have impeccable credentials and have been (maybe still are) on the faculty of the Mt. Sinai Medical Center. The research they quote is not all theirs. Much of it was done or verified by researchers unrelated to their work, which is in their favor.

It's not a "cut out all carbs", like Atkins, because they say that's unhealthy. (Which it is.) The idea is to adjust when you eat carbs, not how many you eat. Nothing in what I've read goes against the standard guidelines of a healthy program in that they recommend the usual 1/2-2 pound per week weight loss. There are no forbidden foods. No miracle "take it off fast" promises. They clearly state that this isn't the right program for everyone. They say that it won't hurt anyone, but it's designed to help people with specific symptoms. That may be all "CYA", to forestall lawsuits, though. I'm often the ultimate cynic.

The thing that appeals to me isn't specifically the weight loss aspect. That has its appeal, but there are a lot of healthy weight loss programs out there. What appeals to me about this particular program is the idea that I might be able to stop being so tired after I eat. I might avoid the midafternoon slump that often leads to extra food. And the idea that I might not want larger servings of pasta, etc. than are good for me. The idea that I might feel better if I eat that way. As I said, I fit the criteria that they say is a good bet to be helped by their plan, but I can't take their advice to discuss it with my doctor. I can't get to the doctor and even if I could, this woman has never seen me. She doesn't even have my medical records. I know more about my body than she does. Anyway, what I was wondering is whether any of you have heard anything that indicates this could be potentially a harmful plan.

Here are the basics: You eat low-carb veggies and protein for 2 meals and any snacks you choose to eat. The other meal must consist of a salad (or extra serving of low-carb veggies) and a meal that's 1/3 each protein, more low-carb veggies, and carbs (including high-carb veggies, fruits, and any sweets you eat.) In the interest of space, I left out some of the details, along with the long scientific explanation. I've been web surfing reliable health sites and haven't seen any warnings posted that this is life-threatening or dangerous. I wondered if any of you have any knowledge about it. I'm willing to test their claims by following it for a while and keeping records to see if it does make a difference, but only if I'm pretty sure doing so is unlikely to do any harm. Thanks for any info you may have!

Lin

Last edited by Lin S; 11-05-2002 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:45 PM   #8  

Default Turtle Club # 85

Hi Turtles,

I have been away over 2 weeks....visiting family. Will go home on Saturday. Have been sick with a virus....whistling breathing, Bad cough & feeling lousy. It will be nice to go home & curl up in my bed.....my own bed!!!!!!!!

Will be back after I get home.

April
Old 11-05-2002, 03:10 PM   #9  

Lin, I have heard of CAD and as far as I know it's healthy and safe. 3FC has a low carb section, you might consider going in to the general list and asking or checking out the FAQ section.

I do not like Atkins and cannot stand behind any idea that cuts out vegetables. However, CAD is balanced and reasonable. There's a lot of research coming out at the moment that says that we have all been misled by the Food Pyramid--which was [coincidentally?] introduced just about the time America's obesity problem skyrocketed. Researchers are starting to look at low carb diets with a serious eye, because they DO work and they DO seem to also lower blood pressure, cholesterol, etc [in some people]. Low-carb diets also get praise because they get people to cut out processed carbs and sugary foods, and get their precious few carbs in the form of veggies and complex, unprocessed grains.

The only things I have read that are negative are:

*they're very hard to follow--both because a certain portion of the population "craves" carbs and because our culture is built around processed carbs with every meal--bread, pasta, white rice, that sort of thing.

*they aren't a good idea for heavy exercisers or for vegetarians (hence why I never followed this sort of program). For people who exercise, there may not be enough carbohydrate fuel in the blood to sustain their workouts. Vegetarians, obviously, are very, very limited (basically your choice is eggs, for pure protein).

Hope this helps. I say, if you think this will help you function and will treat your "symptoms", then try it for a bit. See if you feel better. Nothing you do for 2 weeks, a month, 2 months is going to do long-term damage (aside from, of course, heroin or something like that, and I somehow don't think you're a junkie).
Old 11-05-2002, 04:42 PM   #10  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Thanks, Erin. That's the information I was after. My question wasn't about doing it for a couple of weeks or months. I know I can do that without long-term damage. What I wondered was if it was safe to keep going, provided I was happy with the results. What you said pretty much reinforces what I've been reading. Their latest program addresses the issue of vegetarians. If a person isn't vegan, you have tofu, eggs, and cheese for protein, plus beans at the meal with carbs. But your point about heavy exercise is well-taken. In the unlikely event that I become a marathoner, I'll remember that I'll need to adjust my diet to account for it. Thanks, again for the help.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
Old 11-05-2002, 08:30 PM   #11  

Smile Tuesday

hello all!

Yes, its been pretty wild but we do seem to run in spurts and then there'll be a lull--

Lin- Dh and I have nearly elminated any white flour or processed baked goods or pasta and it's amazing how the cravings and slumps disappeared. I still have a morning snack but its not that stomach growling-- have to have something now-- kind of feeling.
And the afternoons are so much more bearable.
We were more interested in keeping a level glycemic level which, I guess is pretty much the same thing--

Now, don't get me wrong-- the smell of something baking can set my mouth watering but if its not wheat, I do my best to resist becuase I know what will happen tomorrow. Craving twinkies w/ the appetite of KingKong.

Makes you wonder what the "marketing experts" knew about refined flour and sugar --

If it was me, I'd start out slow and add as I went--

Good luck with it!

Hello to eveyone else! hope you are all doing well on your journey!
Old 11-06-2002, 07:52 AM   #12  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, turtles. It's been a busy time for me (working full time, gone most of the time on weekends), and a difficult time personally for a number of reasons. I'm still checking in, though, and seeing how everyone is doing when I can. This is a special group.

I'm still going regularly to meetings, still writing it down. I was within points maybe half the time this week, and the only exercise I'm getting is walking with my husband occasionally. So I'm mostly maintaining right now.

Lin, I don't know anything about that particular diet. But I'm all in favor of shaking things up and seeing what works. I have eaten low-carb for up to a year in the past. I lost very well on it, though I ended up going nuts on food at the end of it. Sounds like the diet you're looking at isn't quite so restrictive as what I did, so that should help. As for me, at this point in my life, I do best with unstructured programs; I tend to rebel at structure after a while. But I could see doing a more structured plan for a period of time, especially as a way to kick-start myself. Also, you may find that you feel so terrific doing it that you'll have the impetus to keep on going and make it a lifestyle.

Erin, I'm glad your new approach is working for you. What do you think you're doing differently so that you're losing weight now when you weren't earlier?

April, hope you feel better soon.

Judy, I love new sneakers. I just got a pair, too, and they make such a difference.

Kaylets, it's usually feast or famine in this group, isn't it? :lol

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/183.5/down
Old 11-06-2002, 10:01 PM   #13  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I wrote a post this morning, but the site messed up and lost it. I hate when that happens!

April--I hope you feel better soon. We're looking forward to hearing from you.

Kaylets--The thing about this program is that it doesn't eliminate anything. Remember, carbs aren't only white flour, sugar, and pasta. Rice and all the rest of the grains, fruit, many vegetables, and milk products have carbs in them, too. Atkins goes too far because he advocates eliminating all of that healthy food. This plan changes how often you eat foods that have higher levels of carbs, rather than eliminating them.

I like your advice to start out slow. I give that advice frequently. This plan has that built in. You do the basic plan for two weeks, then add options (one at a time) if you need them.

Lauren--It's so good to hear that you're getting plenty of work. It looks like you have been keeping up with what you can do of the program. That's terrific.

As you know, I rebel at too much structure in my plan, too. But since the boys have grown up, a program like this isn't as hard to fit in. It has some flexibility, too, enough to handle the difficult times, restaurants, and celebrations. It seems easy enough to give it an honest trial. My husband is supportive of this plan, too. He thinks it's manageable. So, I'm planning to start on Sunday, after I have a chance to do some planning and get groceries, which won't be much different except in the proportions of things--more green beans and fewer carrots. (That's not a complaint. I love green beans and I still can eat carrots.)

I don't remember if I told you. My mother went in for a CAT scan yesterday of her lungs. She won't get the results until the end of the week. All prayers and good vibes welcome.

Everything else is pretty much the same. Hope those of you who haven't had time to post are doing well.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
Old 11-07-2002, 05:38 AM   #14  

Smile Terrfic Thursday!

Lin- just so you know that prayers and good vibes are coming from this side of the web! Hope everything turns out well for you Mom.

Yes, you're right that carbs are everywhere-(! ) -- in my experience, when I eliminate the highly processed ones, the cravings are gone and my energy level remains constant.

I do miss mashed potatoes sometimes but sweet potatoes grilled are delicious!!
And who would have thought "safe" pretzels can be as scary as some candy once they hit your bloodstream!
Actually, there probably are some out there that are better than others, I just havent looked!

To everyone else I didnt mention specifically--

Hope your journey is going well - and remember, that as long as you are pointed in the right direction, you are still making progress!!

Old 11-08-2002, 03:31 PM   #15  

Default Turtle Club # 85

Hi Turtles, I leave for home tomorrow.....I fly out at 6:13 A.M.
These early flights are terrible. Not only do I leave so early.....but then There is a 3 hour wait in Toronto.

Lauren....I did e-mail you once about getting together.....but with moving about my 4 sisters houses....I don't know if you replied. I did read here that you have been busy working & other things going on in your life.....so you must be super busy.
Also I have been sick for most of my trip....so there was some of the time when I wouldn't have been good company...what with all this coughing.

So anyway I will be back home tomorrow afternoon....& to my own bed!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a nice time visiting my family.....it was really nice seeing them again.

April
Closed Thread