Old 07-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Default How much more rabbit food does a girl have to eat?

I'm still working to get more fruits and veggies into my diet. I wish I liked them better. What do you think? Is this enough produce in my diet? Here's a typical day

Breakfast: smoothie with yogurt, protein powder and 2c fruit. I distribute this among the kids and me, so I probably get about half a cup of fruit.

Lunch: humongo salad with about 2 cups of veggies and 2 cups of lettuce/spinach

Snack: some kind of fruit if I can choke it down. Sometimes not. Possibly another smoothie.

Dinner: sometimes I'm good and have 2c of veggies. Usually more like 1c.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Remember, a half a cup of fruit or veggies is usually a serving. So you sound like you are getting a good amount....
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It sounds good and I'd say absolutely excellent if you didn't eat any fruit/vegetables prior.

Why are you choking down fruit? You don't like fruit? Is there any fruit you do like?

ETA - Berries - Raspberries? Strawberries? Melon - Honeydew? Cantalope?

I'm not a huge cooked apple fan but I know a lot of people seem to like apples microwaves and sprinkled with cinnamon and maybe even something like splenda.

Last edited by nelie; 07-13-2009 at 01:43 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #4  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Thin,
I hate to hear that you have not been able to find fruits and vegetables that you like. I really don't want to judge if you are getting enough but IMHO opinion, 5 servings of something you don't like is enough.

I have had to work on liking vegetables but have been able to find several that I like. Fruit is not a problem because since I quit processed sugar, fruit is a real treat.

Keep trying and, hopefully, you will grow to like them.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Thumbs up! Great job on the veggies! WTG! I am assuming this is just your allotment of produce and not your full day of nutrition.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #6  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Yah you are doing awesome on the fruits and veg and getting more than enough. I love big (like 3-4 cup) salads because of how many servings of veg it gives me! lol!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe it's the way you prep the veggies?

I eat all sorts of fruit. Strawberries, oranges, apples, pears, blueberries, etc. What fruits have you been eating? (Just curious).

Ohh I also like cantelope YUMMY!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #8  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

That does seem like a lot.

My plan calls for 2 servings of fruit--at 60 calories a serving and 4 servings of veggies at 25 calories a serving. That's based on a 1600 calories/day diet.

Perhaps you can start experimenting with herbs for your fruits and veggies? A tomato without basil tastes too plain to me (unless it's from someone's garden).
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #9  

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Thumbs up! Great job on the veggies! WTG! I am assuming this is just your allotment of produce and not your full day of nutrition.
yes, it's just the fruits and veggies I eat, not everything. I'm just more of a protein girl, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
Maybe it's the way you prep the veggies?

I eat all sorts of fruit. Strawberries, oranges, apples, pears, blueberries, etc. What fruits have you been eating? (Just curious).

Ohh I also like cantelope YUMMY!
I eat cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries (yuck), nectarines (I like these), cherries (like these ok too), apples, strawberries, mangos (but only in a shake, it's the only way I can eat them.)

For veggies I eat broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes, peppers (like these), onions (like these), peas (like these), asparagus, spinach. I really like corn and potatoes, but IMO they're too starchy to really count as a vegetable, so I don't eat them too often.

It's not that I HATE fruits and veggies, it's just that I don't really LIKE most of them. I know I need to eat them, though, so I'll keep trying to acquire a taste. Putting cottage cheese and hard boiled eggs in my salad makes it palatable. Glad to know you think I'm getting enough.

Last edited by thinpossible; 07-13-2009 at 03:51 PM.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #10  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I've had to acquire a taste for fruits and veggies as well and find that if I pair it with things it really helps with the taste.

For instance, I love fruit mixed with cottage cheese. Try sprinkling a little black pepper or cinnamon depending on the fruit. Also, a light sprinkling of sliced almonds make any thing taste yummy in my opinion.

Tonight for dinner I made a fruit and nut salad and poured it over low-fat vanilla yogurt. So, good!!

I like to roast veggies. A little olive oil spray, spices, and a super hot oven for a about 20 to 40 minutes and everything taste great. I eat roasted veggies in all sorts of ways, but my favorite is to top it over some brown rice.

I also steam veggies like broccoli and drizzle a tiny amount of blue cheese dressing over it.

Because fruits and vegetables are so good for us and so low in calories we have to find ways to love them.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Sounds like you are getting plenty to me. I still only eat about 2 cups of veggies and about 2 cups of fruit and I think I'm REALLY REALLY trying. So by my standards you are doing great!!!
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #12  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

you've got a great amount -- but why waste your time eating it in a way that you dont enjoy? try some different recipes and mix up the way you're cooking it if they arent appealing. it takes time but it's doable!
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Looks like you are getting a fair amount of veggies, so congrats to that!

pita - I love roasted veggies too! We sometimes make tons of extra's and add some feta cheese and it makes for a yummy salad!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote