Old 07-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #36

Good afternoon all. I have been having such a time of it that I slept in and we had to go to the commissary so I didn't get in here to post until now.

At least I have the shopping done for another couple weeks. They had fresh blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries so I got some of each along with a nice big canteloupe. Jack is now hooked on strawberries and blueberries for dessert with a dollop of cool whip free on it so I had to buy the big containers of strawberries and blueberries. I got some nice plums and cherries the other day so I am all set with fruits. I bought a thing of asparagus which we will grill up and have with a white meat turkey roast in the next couple weeks.

Jean: The one I did with Thomas I cooked and that is why it took so long, but I have none cooked recipes and the pudding one you don't cook. I bought french vanilla pudding and chocolate to try out. Fortune eats IAMS dog food, but he has a real penchant for potato chips. He is hiliarous. If he hears the rattling of a snack bag in the kitchen he goes out to make sure he gets some. He stands there while you dole out the portion into a bowl then follows you into the living room and gets up into your lap and waits to be given a chip. He likes regular, ruffles and even tortilla chips. We only give him a couple as our chips are cooked in that olean stuff and I don't know how a dog will react to much of that. I figure if a quantity will give an adult human the runs it would surely do it to a dog.

Maggie: Good to see you here today. Fortune is definitely a spoiled doggy that's for sure, but he has no kids he has to compete with for attention. He sure loves Thomas that's for sure and he makes Thomas break out laughing because of something he has done since he was a little pup. He has a little fleece elephant I get at Petsmart and he will take the trunk in his teeth and just shake the heck out of it and growl. Thomas thinks it is hilarious for some reason and he just cracked up watching him when he came over the other day.

Well gals, I need to start cleaning. Thomas's dog will be here sometime on Monday as they leave for China on Tuesday so I want to get the house cleaned before he gets here.

Have a great weekend!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #2  

Good afternoon, ladies! A cool day today just about 80.

Faye, I got blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, bananas, oranges, peaches, cantaloupe, and a small seedless watermelon, so I'm fixed for fruit, too. I'm wonder how a watermelon sorbet might be. I need to find a recipe. Love my fruit.

I haven't done anything but cleaning, today, so nothing interesting to report. After supper I'm going to sit down and quilt.

Have a good evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #3  

Here you go, Susan:

WATERMELON SORBET

Approx 1 quart

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 cups watermelon

Directions
Cook the sugar, water and lemon juice together, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and chill. Cut up the watermelon and remove all seeds.
Puree in a blender or food processor. Stir into chilled syrup. Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.Pack into an airtight container and store in the freezer.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 cups

Calories 231
Total Fat 0.2g 0%
Sodium 1mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 59.9g 19%
Dietary Fiber 0.5g 2%
Sugars 57.4g
Old 07-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers! We spent the day at the lake so consequently I've gotten nothing done at home. Bob says he will help me tomorrow, so we'll see if he does or not. It's been a beautiful day here -- no wind, sunny, and mild.

Susan -- Do you keep your fruit in the "green bags" they advertise on TV? Good luck with your respiratory test. What do you have to do and what will it show?

"Gma" -- Do you use the "green bags" for your fruit? I need to head for the grocery store now that I have my sink back and most of my counter is in place. I also must find my small ice cream maker and try some of the recipes.

I am tired tonight. Guess the fresh air and sun at the lake is responsible. I am heading to bed!

Have a relaxing Sunday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all! Looks like we had some rain overnight. At least one of our neighbors set off loud very loud fireworks on and off overnight and kept waking me up. They would scare the heck out of me each time it happened. Either that or they were shooting each other and frankly that wouldn't surprise me either.

Jean: I don't use the green bags. I bought some green containers that didn't work so haven't spent money on the green bags. Hope you had a nice time at the lake. We went commissary shopping and I came home and put it all away and cleaned house. I have vacuuming to do downstairs and the upstairs to tackle today. Jack said he would vacuum downstairs for me so hopefully it will get done sometime today.

Susan: I would imagine you can substitute splenda, etc for the sugar if you wish in the sorbet as it is pretty high in pts 5 for the one cup. You might be able to find something more to your liking with a lot less calories, but everyone I found for watermelon was high in sugar, probably because watermelon is such a high amount of water so the sugar content in the fruit alone is low.

I decided to make my dil a scarf for her birthday, which is the 21st btw, and have it about a 1/3 way done. I used that tangerine yarn with all the colors in it and a pattern called a broken rib stitch with makes cute fat furrows and bumps. Jack has the camera somewhere so as soon as I can find it and finish the scarf I will post a picture. The fringe is actually knitted strings that are sewn onto the end of the scarf. Looks like I am going to have to go to the store and get more though as I know I don't have enough yarn.

Everyone have a wonderful Sunday.
Faye
Old 07-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #6  

Good morning, ladies! Hot today.

Faye, thanks for the recipe. I will substitute splenda and only use 1/2 cup because I don't care for things that are very sweet. I made pistachio ice cream using your recipe yesterday. It is really good. I divided it up into 1/2 cup portions so I don't overdue. I'll do the watermelon in a few days.

Jean, I do keep fruits and vegetables in the green bags. They work very well and are worth the investment. They can be used over and over. It's a simple respiratory test this time, just an oximeter hooked up to a recorder that will make a graph of my oxygen usage during sleep. It will show my oxygen levels during sleep. The doctor thinks mine are too low at rest although they are fine during the day and activity. It is not the same as sleep apenea where your body stops breathing.

I went to church this morning. That's it for today. I still have the newspaper to read, then I'm going to do my yoga dvd and check the tv listing for a movie. If there's a good movie, I'll watch that and do applique, otherwise I'm going to go up and do some patchwork on the machine.

Have a good day!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! Have been to church, stopped at the store afterwards, fixed lunch -- grilled chicken and our first corn on the cob, which wasn't as good as it usually is, and fresh fruit. I just put a load of laundry in and need to get busy in the kitchen again since I goofed off yesterday. Actually I cleaned out 3 drawers of "stuff" at the cabin and filled a garbage bag, so I did accomplish something.

"Gma" -- You make me feel guilty with all of your cleaning! It's pointless to do much here since the guys are not finished with the counter top; I hope they come tomorrow! The dishwasher repairman is coming tomorrow at 8:30; I can see the $$ signs all ready. The scarf sounds like it will be very pretty! I am anxious to see it finished.

Susan -- When you use the green bags, do you put lettuce in? My lettuce always seems slightly wet and I've never tried it since the directions say food should be dry. I do like to put bananas in green bags! Enjoy your afternoon of movies and handiwork!

I'm off to change laundry loads and then head for the kitchen. Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Sunday

Here is another Watermelon sorbet recipe that uses a bit of a different method. It comes from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook pg 399. If you don't have superfine sugar you can process granulated sugar in your blender for about 30 seconds, until it has a superfine texture.

WATERMELON SORBET
Makes 4 Servings
4 cups seeded wateermelon chunks
1/4 cup sperfine sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1. In a blender or food processor combine the watermelon, sugar and lime juice: puree. Transfer the mixture to a 2-quart freezer-safe container with a tight-fitting lid; freeze, covered, until the mixture resembles set gelatin, 4-6 hours.
2. In two batches, puree the watermelon mixture in the blender or food processor; return to the container. Freeze, covered, overnight. Let sorbet stand at room temperature 5 minutes before serving.

Per serving (1/4 cup sorbet)
POINTS 2
102 cal
1g fat
1g fib

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS
It is a bright sunny day with high humidity here in the heartland. I sure don't like the weather here. Much prefer sea or mountain breezes with low humidity. However, one day it will be that way somewhere for I don't plan on being here forever. Well, maybe I won't have a choice. I just put up with it and really, I am NOT a complainer. Doesn't do a bit of good or change the weather so I take what comes in that department. UGH we went out to eat for the noon meal to a Mexican restaurant that has the most horrible stuff on their menu. Not good so I ate very little and we will go somewhere else that we know is good tonight. We just don't have to go back to that place anymore to eat ~ once was enough.

JEAN I love those green bags. Started using them in the MH because the refrigeration system is different than in a house and it sure kept my fruits and veggies fresher. I continued to use them in the house now and am happy with them. Have you gotten any sweet corn on the cob grown there this summer? Just wondering for I know a lot of it grown there is for animal feed or pop corn.

DONNA FAYE It rained here also during the night. Sure helps keep the lawn green. Using Splenda@ in your recipe brings the points down to 3. I don't think I even have any "real" sugar in the house. I have all the different varities of Splenda@ and find they work well in everything I have subed them into. I made up a batch of that pistachio pudding ice cream using the sugar free packs and it is all eaten up already. Will said that recipe is definitely a keeper. Next I think I will try lemon since I have some sf and ff lemon instant pudding mix on hand. Your scarf that you are working on sounds pretty.

SUSAN Don't you just love Splenda@? This is the time of year I love because of all the fresh fruits available. Got some eating ready peaches the other day and they were actually ready to eat and perfectly ripe. Not too hard nor to soft. Perfect. Just like the ones I remember my grandfather growing. He used to let me put the papers around them to pack. AH ~ what good memories I have. For breakfast I love a peach cut up with a few sprinkles of reduced balsamic vinegar on it and uuuuummmmm.

Everyone take care. Type at y'all later
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #10  

Just a quick one this evening, ladies.

Jean, for at least 25 years, I have always wrapped lettuces in paper towels, no matter how I am storing it so I continue to do that with the green bags. They pull the moisture away from the lettuce and it keeps better. When they get damp, I throw that one away and put a new one on.

Maggie, I use Splenda all the time, too. No need for sugar anymore that I can see. I think Mexican is on the very bottom of my list for places to go to eat.

Have a good night!
Old 07-13-2009, 06:17 AM   #11  

Good morning to you all! I did get the whole house cleaned except the two bathrooms upstairs, which I will do this morning before I go swim. I am going to take Thomas his ice cream and probaby bring the granddoggy back with me so they don't have to haul him across town.

I finally broke the menopause barrier and lost a lb so hopefully I will get back to going down and now stuck. Jack said not to be too upset that if it can cause weight gain but I stayed the same that meant I was doing what I should. That doesn't mean you don't get a bit discouraged when you know you stay on points and exercise and it doesn't budge.

Jean: Hope you get your kitchen all done up nice and fancy. I am sure when it is finished you will love it. We just got our new contract for our home warranty and it went up again. Two dollars per month and $5 on the charge when they come to the house. When we moved in here is was something like $45 charge and $40 a month and now it is $45 a month and $60 when they get to the house. All that being said, it is still cheaper than what they charge you to fix something straight out. I need to get them in here to repair the self cleaner on my stove. It needs some new thingamagjig to that has burned out.

Susan: I bought french vanilla and chocolate to try, but I have no room in my freezer to put the freezing container. We are really going to have to get out and find a small chest freezer. I really should get green bags as I buy a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. For one thing, I don't have the room in my freezer for the frozen stuff.

Maggie: We did our once a month meal out and did Mexican. We love the chain Abuelos. They have great Mexican food and we should know, Jack grew up in New Mexico.

I have to go. Jack will be down in a minute and plays freecell with his breakfast so the computer should be free.

Have a great start to the week everyone!
Faye
Old 07-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #12  

Good Morning, Flowers! The dishwasher repairman just left; the dishwasher is working perfectly! He has another job across the highway and will check back when he is done there. I am so ! It's a cool morning here with a slight breeze, and partly cloudy. More rain is predicted for later today. Wish it would stop for awhile and rain in August when the crops will need it more. I'm still sorting and pitching in the kitchen today.

Maggie -- Did you express your opinion of the food to the server/hostess at the Mexican restaurant? We have the "real McCoy" here and it's always good. I'm not very adventuresome in trying new things; I stick with what I know I will like. It is frustrating to be all set for a good meal and have it turn out to be not so good. We haven't had any local corn yet. There is a guy who comes up from Missouri and sells out of his pickup; his corn is always good and he sells out early in the day. Bob said his secretary bought some on Friday in Spencer . . . $7 a dozen!

Susan -- I use paper towels with my lettuce also. I have a friend who picks her lettuce leaves apart and puts paper towels in between the layers. I haven't tried that yet, but I just may. Mexican is not my favorite either. Hope you have a good day at work w/o any glitches.

"Gma" -- Congrats on losing another pound. You are on your way down again! It will be interesting to see what the service charge is on the dishwasher. If I've been doing dishes by hand for 3 days I will be upset. Enjoy your swim with Thomas!

I need to change laundry loads and get busy. Have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-14-2009, 05:23 AM   #13  

Good morning ladies! I brought Fortune downstairs as both dogs on the bed were too much this morning. Fortune wouldn't settle down with Marty on the bed and Jack needed his sleep.

I weighed myself this morning and I have finally cracked it. I am down another 2 lbs and back to losing weight, yippeee!

My kids are up and away this morning heading for San Fransisco then on to China. Poor Kelly was diagnosed yesterday with strep throat. She has had a sore throat for a couple days and decided that before they left she should just check it out so she went to one of those fast clinics some of the Walgreens have in them. She has a bad case, but thankfully, she started antibiotics yesterday so will have 2 days under her belt by the time they get to China. They will travel for almost 24 hours.

Jean: Don't you hate it when the appliances betray you! Hopefully, it is a glitch and you won't have any more trouble with it. That is what the Grand Marquis did to us that morning. It acted like the transmission had gone out so I scrambled around getting financing for a new car and low and behold we haven't had a bit of trouble with it since that day and that was nearly 7 months ago. Ahh well, I guess there is nothing you can do about it.

I went to the store and got a couple more skeins of yarn to finish the scarf. I got her a Macy's gift card, but it may not get here in time and I am not sure I will get the scarf finished in time. I would like to make a hat if I have time.
So, I ordered her a cute little sampler from Swiss Colony. It has teas, coffees, biscotti and jams in it. I had this shipped directly to her.

Nothing much else going on here. I went and did a good workout and could have used about 10 minutes more but it started thundering and raining so I had to get out. Hopefully, I can get over there today and workout in solitude. It is so quiet over there and lovely.

Have a great day. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 07-14-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! We've had more rain during the night so it is nice and cool this morning. If the sun comes out it will be really hot and humid. I have a perm this morning; don't feel like sitting for 3 hours, but need a cut so there goes what curl is left.

"Gma" -- Congrats on losing another 2#s! You are such a nice MIL and give such thoughtful gifts. Does Marty follow Fortune around or vice versa? Fortune may be ready for lots of naps when the vacation is over, and Marty goes home.

I have a load of laundry to do and I'm hoping the counter guys show up early rather than late. I want to put my kitchen back together!

Hope you all have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #15  

Good morning, ladies!

Pretty quiet today. The boss is gone so there isn't a crisis every 10 minutes. I have quilt guild tonight and dinner with the ladies before the meeting. I guess the rag weed is starting because my nose is running and my eyes are itchy so I hit the Veramist inhaler again. There are some beautiful swamp lilies blooming now in the wetlands.

Faye, for sticking with it and congrats on the scale finally starting to move again. I hope your rain is coming my way. The grass needs it.

Jean, I know you are anxious to get things back in place in your kitchen. I'll bet it is beautiful! I should have a haircut, too, but I'm going to wait until the end of next week so it will good for my PA trip. Local corn is 4/$1 at the farmers' market and roadside stands around here. Our peaches are just about ready for picking, too. Blueberries are now ready to be picked. We've had tomatoes for about a month now. It sure is a yummy time of year.

Maggie, hi!