Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 07:50 PM   #1  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

Default Alternachat-November

New month-new thread.

I am completely amazed at this thing called winter! I am so used to living in the southern end of NV, that I forgot what 7 degrees feels like. Northern people, places, seasons are so different. I know what 117 is all too well. I am in my dads RV for the time being and the water pump froze. My legs are chapped, my hair is fried. Well, I wanted a change, and that I got. Be careful of what you ask for.

I made shredded beef for home made tacos for dinner tonight. I will try real hard not to go beyond 2 tacos. They are so good, but nothing is worse than undies that waistbands are too tight. I walked today at the park. The boys played football. I can't figure out why we have seagulls here. O-well, they are better than pigions. At the bottom of all the slides, there are ice puddles.

Well, off to go watch a movie and calm everyone down so my aprents can nap. ~flower
Old 11-02-2002, 09:21 PM   #2  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

It is freakin cold here, and we arehaving a winter snow storm. I kid you not! We can barely see across the street it is snowing and blowing so hard. This is nuts for Nov 2nd. Where did the summer go, I want it back.
Virginia
Old 11-03-2002, 10:16 AM   #3  
Hot Stuff

We had our first snow on Friday, just a squall though, and it was all gone in a few hours. It's been cold since, but it's a nice change after all the heat this summer. Certainly put me in the holiday mood.

Flower, start drinking lots of water! Your skin is really going to need it in the colder weather.

My big news....we bought new mattresses yesterday! Really plush pillow-top Sealy...it was heaven! I've been having problems with my lower back, and I think a lot of it is the cheap mattress set we bought when we first moved here five years ago. We get the new set next Sunday, so I'm not going to sleep until then. Now I have to get new sheets with the deeper pocket to fit....oh, and I saw the most beautiful deep purple velour comforter...would be stunning in our screaming violet bedroom. Now if I can just make the switch without hubby noticing...

On the weight loss front, it seems I've gained three pounds. Lack of exercise recently and too many quick meals are the culprits, I'm sure. I'm cutting back on the overtime at work...I don't get paid for it anyway....and I don't care if they don't like it. My life is more important. My job is just that....a job...an 8:00-5:00 job, nothing more. If they want more, they're going to have to pay me. I'm tired of being too tired from work to have a life, never mind a marriage. We work at the same place, so he's just as beat when we get home. This all part of my new year beginning at Samhain. Yep, time for change.

So, back to the food journal, counting points, water, exercise. Hopefully getting a full night's sleep with our new bed, and having time to enjoy life. Doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary, does it?

hello to everyone!
Old 11-03-2002, 10:39 AM   #4  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I read this article/advice column in my local paper this morning. I loved it & thought I would share.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...03/1012495.asp

(AFS means Ask First Sunday)

My favorite line is about the line at Dairy Queen.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:19 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thanks for sharing that, Squeak. I'm taking a long hard look at stuff like that myself.

We got several inches of snow yesterday and today is a gorgeous blue, white and yellow day as some of the trees are still holding onto those leaves. The dogs adore the snow and come in looking like reverse Dalmations. Hershey is getting quite large but still enjoys running in the yard with Lucy.

My diet has sort of gone to pot - so to speak! Right now I am more concerned with this blood sugar crap and the minimal side effects of Metformin than with low carbing. (My doctor does recommend low carb but it's been kind of hard to stick to it. Carbs are a comfort in the cold weather!) I've not had any carbs today because I am off to the Fair Board AGM at noon and there will be a high-carb real "country" meal - mashed potatoes, gravy, Jello salads are all yick to me but I am sure there will be a piece of pecan pie calling my name.

Flower, even my oily skin gets dry in winter. I take Evening Primrose oil capsules and somethiomes break open a Vitamin E capsule and spread it over my face after I've washed but not dried. Works great!

Wantstolosealot and Wildfire, now no crabbing about winter! It happens every year. We are also now due for Indian Summer because we've had a snowfall, a killing frost and an October full moon. Watch for it - coming at a weatherstation near you!

And where the heck IS everybody?
Old 11-03-2002, 03:48 PM   #6  
Hot Stuff

I wasn't crabbing, honest.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:02 PM   #7  
Cute & Fluffy

I was crabbing about the cold the other day

I know it come severy year, and I like it better then summer heat. I just like the fall and spring and it never seems like enough of it.

Not too much to report over here. I did nothing all day yesterday except pick up some take out food. (fries & a chicken finger sub) Today I went into work for an hour & a half this morning, then went to the mall. Got home with 2 phone calls from work, so back in I went for another hour & a half. Still didn't fix everything, but I didn't have any more aswers. They are going to have to call someone else which sucks since I don't like being bugged on the weekend and don't want anyone else called either. I will deal with the rest of it tomorrow. I have a pounding headache too. Had a big bowl of one of my favorite comfort foods - mashed potatoes. Tomorrow is day one of my period so I will not be weighing in this week. Just too depressing. On the up side I got the boy's birthday present already. His birthday is at the end of the month.

Off to watch some bad TV and maybe even crash for the night.

squeak
Old 11-03-2002, 07:11 PM   #8  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Evening everyone

I had a great weekend! On Friday night DH and I put up the new curtains in the livingroom-they look great and keep out the light from the parking lot behind our building, yeah! Now I will be able to sleep better

We went to the Food and Wine show this weekend and pigged out on Indian food, Taiwan spring rolls & meatballs, buffalo and wild boar dishes, taste bites of exotic foods and cheeses, and finished off with Tiramisu with a Screech topping. In between we tasted various beers, wines and ports from different countries.
We also kept running into people we hadn't seen in a while. It was like going to a giant cocktail party, we had so much fun!

Squeak-what did you get the boy for his birthday? Is he coming up to see you then? Thanks for sharing that article

Ruthxxx-I know what you mean about carbs being a comfort food in the winter! I love eating Irish stew but it has potatos and carrots in it which are taboo on the SS diet which I am trying to follow. Do the evening primrose oil capsules really work? I was looking at them in the drugstore the other week and I know they have been a staple in Britain for years but I wasn't sure if I should try them or not.

Flower-my skin is normal but gets really dry on my cheeks and around my nose in the winter. I am not sure if you have a company called Yves Rocher in the US but they make a product called "cold comfort cream" designed for cold weather skin symptoms and it works really well for me.

Wildfire-you are doing the right thing for yourself. It is not worth it if your your health, mental well being and marriage and suffering because of your job. Good luck with your Samhain resolutions
Old 11-03-2002, 07:49 PM   #9  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

Squeaker-I love chicken finger subs!!!!

I am trying to be brave and join the local chapter of TOPS. They are having an open house on Friday morning. I figure it would be a good way to meet people and I know it would help with thw diet isolation I currently have. No one seems to care that we are all are putting a major layer a fat on for the holidays! I went to the store and got diet soda, since everyone drinks 4-6 of them a day here. I can not do that! They are bad influences. So, I like the competetive edge so I think joining TOPS will be good for me. I got rid of my fat clothes and I am not buying new ones!

~flower
Old 11-03-2002, 08:03 PM   #10  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Go for it flower! Joining a group will get you out of the house and meet some new people who are trying to lose too. I think it may be a big help for you. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2002, 11:19 PM   #11  
Cute & Fluffy

Flower - Got to TOPS it should be good for you. I can't believe you have chicken finger subs too. It doesn't seem to be a common thing everywhere. Ours comes with wing sauce in hot, medium or mild, on them too if you want. And blue cheese but normally I don't get that on it.

Mauvais - I like your giant cocktail party. Sounds like fun! lots of different food too. Very niffty.

I got the boy vanilla scented massage oil and this wooden massage thingy (It came with the oil). And I made him this cute little dragon in my ceramics class. I told him I got his present already and he asked if it was something we could show his parents, I told him unfortunately yes. I am driving to his mom's in Ohio. (about 4 hrs away) He is driving back from CA that week and will be back on Thanksgiving. I am driving down there the day after and spending the weekend. It should be fun. I have never been to his mom's. I met her once, but that was over a year ago, he was in and out of the hospital so I got to talk to her alot. She is really nice and likes me so I am not too nervous. He invited me for Thanksgiving but it is a big deal in my family so I said no.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:49 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning, Alternachicks.

I hate to mention it but it's snowing! I guess I may as well give up and buy boots. I got through most of last winter in my garden clogs - also slipped and broke my arm so....how smart was that!

Two weeks from today, I'll be in Vancouver! Aaaarrrgggghhhh! I have a ton of stuff to do before then because I get the other wrist operation the end of this month. This may be a gift certificate Christmas!

Wonderful Gail arrives soon to clean. I still need to horse the bins of summer clothes into the storage area. However, my tall and strong pal Rob is coming over this a.m. so I may stall until then and just look helpless. Anybody else take Helpless 101?

The meeting yesterday was boring and the food was as crappy as expected. I was going to indulge in pecan pie but there was none! Took blueberry instead which was canned filling! Yick! I will be doing a few more treasurer's duties this week as the new Treasurer is going deer hunting!!!! She is out of work since August and is planning to fill her freezer for the winter. She hunts with some other women who are going to give her their deer! Now there's a support group! Obviously these women never took Helpless 101!

Oh Mauvais, I so envy you the Food and Wine Show. We used to go all the time in another incarnation. I am getting twitchy for a visit to civilization - Sears in Kingston just won't cut it! I need the NAC, Les Halles in Montreal, Holt Renfrew! OMG! I'm turning into my sister - who leaves for Brazil tomorrow, by the way. It's a business trip to a Literacy Conference but I'm still envious.

I really must get going. Lucy has just grabbed the mouse and should not even be in this part of the house. I'd better check that the wastepaper baskets still have contents!

Have a happy Monday!
Old 11-04-2002, 06:41 PM   #13  

Height: 5'-2"

MAUVAIS!!! Food and Wine Show!? Where was that? It must have been fabulous!

Squeak, good gift for the boy. Ummm, you're going to be the one giving the massage, right? Not his mother?

Ruth, you're always gadding about. Lucky girl.
I suppose if I were starving I could shoot a deer. Maybe...
There are actually a lot of people I would shoot before I'd shoot a deer.
Forget the gift certificate. Forget your wrist. I want a pineapple cake.
I can't believe you... Helpless 101. You wimp! You faker! I have a hammer growing out of one hand and a screwdriver out of the other. No man is going to show ME up!!

I just had an amazingly productive day. Cleaned, tidied, did laundry, wrote, made a real dinner, started some Christmas crafts... I'm just a friggin' whirlwind, I tell ya.
A far cry from my usual day... coffee, lunch, a nap, one load of laundry and dinner out of a box.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:12 PM   #14  
Cute & Fluffy

Woo hoo Ellis on the productive day! Next time you plan on having one of those can you come clean my house???
And if things turn out right, *I * am the one that will be getting the massage

Ruthxxx - Helpless 101 is sometimes my favorite. I don't always like using it, but it sure is nice at times. What are you doing in Vancouver??
Old 11-04-2002, 09:04 PM   #15  

Height: 5'-2"

Squeak..... hahahahahahaha! I should have known! You sly fox, you.
Closed Thread