Old 07-10-2009, 02:29 AM   #1  

Default Vanity Sizing for Bras

I went to the dreaded mall today. I know it's time for a new bra as mine aren't fitting great. I was prepared to cope with the loss of boobage that comes with the weight loss. I have been wearing a 40D and shocked that I'm in a 'D' as I don't think I look like a 'D'.

So, they measure me and I'm apparently now a 38 DD! What the heck? I can only wish these girls were a DD. I guess my stretched out mama 'rocks in socks' have manages to sink to a new low. If they were perky...

I figured the department store measuring chick made a mistake.so I had the gal at Victoria's Secret measure me too. Same size. So I broke down and tried one on. And it fit?! Weird! Then I put on their maximum lift bra and holy snikes- I could have poked out eyes. I've never had eye-poking cleavage!

I know they vanity size bras- especially at VS. Either that or 'B' cups have shrunk A LOT over the years. But me, a DD? Seriously? More importantly, I've lost 30 something pounds and my band size goes down but cup size goes up? I'm really hoping this means I'll get to keep the boobage even though I'm losing weight.

What has your experience been like? Is it NORMAL to have much bigger girls as you age? I'm 37 and I have nursed twins (hence the rocks in socks).
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #2  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

A little off topic, but a 40D and a 38DD are called "sister sizes" are are almost identical. Going up a band size and down a cup size or vice versa give you almost equivalent sizes.

I'm a 36D or a 38C. (Normally. My boobs got a little fat some some of my bras don't fit so well anymore!)
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #3  

That explains it! Thank you. I'm rather ignorant about how this whole thing works.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think the sister size theory serves those selling bras in a restricted range of sizes. It works, if you're not picky about fit, and also because sizing as labelled by companies isn't terribly consistent or accurate.

The most important fit is in the band. If a 38 band is small enough, then 40 is too big (assuming all 38 band in all brands are the same, which is, sadly, inconsistent). It relates only to the size of your ribcage below your breasts. Nothing to do with breast size. So, the first thing you have to do is find the right band size (theoretically the same in all brands/models, but in actuality you'd have to test each).

A certain letter size cup (say C) is not the same in different bands. The cup of a 40C is bigger than that of a 38C, and so on down the sizes. So, once you have gone down in band size until it doesn't ride up in back, then go up and down in cups as needed.

Style and fabric also make a big difference, obviously. A stretchy bra will be more forgiving of wrong size, but will not be supportive.

American women are just accustomed to being in band sizes that are too big and cups that are too small.

I'll have to dig up a link later. It's on a breast surgery site, I believe. It gives measurements for breasts (by measuring horizontally from armpit, across nipple, to center chest) for different band and cup combinations. It is very very interesting.

Personally, I always fit best in a much smaller band than the calculation of torso circumference plus 5" gives. The size from those formulas ALWAYS gives me a band that rides up in back (i.e., too big).
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #5  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Julie, you're right -- it's not a perfect swap. I found about the "sister size" theory when (of course!) I liked the black strapless 36D I tried on, but I needed a nude one and that color they only had in 38C. In that case it did work for me, but you're 100% correct that it doesn't always.
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #6  
Workin' It

http://www.justbreastimplants.com/size/

Julie - is this the site you are talking about? If you scroll down about halfway it has a chart showing what size you wear based on breast measurement and band size. Of course, it still uses the 'odd + 5, even + 4' measurement for band size...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #7  

Shannon, I think that's it.

I thought it was interesting to take a measurement, say 10", and see the cup size change at different band sizes.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #8  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Personally, I always fit best in a much smaller band than the calculation of torso circumference plus 5" gives. The size from those formulas ALWAYS gives me a band that rides up in back (i.e., too big).
Yeah, I don't pay attention to that 5" thing at ALL. I measure 36" around, and I wear a 36 band (professionally fitted, so I am confident it's correct). If I was to wear a 41 or 42" band, my boobs would literally be falling out the bottom of the cups. There is no way I'd be able to cinch it up tight enough to prevent that from happening, and the band would be riding up in the back.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #9  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
http://www.justbreastimplants.com/size/

Julie - is this the site you are talking about? If you scroll down about halfway it has a chart showing what size you wear based on breast measurement and band size. Of course, it still uses the 'odd + 5, even + 4' measurement for band size...
I'm sorry, I have to laugh. What if your boobs are huge, have nursed 2 kids, and point down now? How the heck to you do the breast measurement? I have read that you are supposed to wear a good fitting bra to do the measurement...but aren't you measuring so that you can get a good fitting bra? Because you don't have a good fitting bra now?
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBH View Post
I'm sorry, I have to laugh. What if your boobs are huge, have nursed 2 kids, and point down now? How the heck to you do the breast measurement? I have read that you are supposed to wear a good fitting bra to do the measurement...but aren't you measuring so that you can get a good fitting bra? Because you don't have a good fitting bra now?
Personally, I think all you need to do is measure below the breast to get a torso number, try on the next band or two size up (i.e., if you measure 30.5", try a band 32 and 34. Just guestimate cup size. Once you have a good band size, go up or down in cup as needed. This circumvents your problem.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 172/150/145

I am 39, never had kids, and my breasts seem to have kept growing even more than the rest of me! I currently wear a 36G. I definitely need to go to a specialty shop or Nordstroms to get fitted and find the right bra. The difference is amazing- my back hurts less, I look better, I feel better. Bra sizing seems to be a science, and I leave the calculations to the experts. My bras are not cheap, but they fit, support, don't ride up. They say most women wear the wrong bra size, so go to the pros, no matter what your size, and try on lots of bras and styles to find what fits your shape best. They are all different, just like we are!
pucedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #12  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

This is a good topic.

At Lane Bryant I am a 40C.
At Victoria Secret I am a 38D in full coverage bras & 38DD in demi bras (some).

Using the site (I used it before) I and a 38D.

I do agree with pucedaisy. You need to go get professionally fitted and you might have to pay more for a great fitting bra. I have noticed that I don't particularily like the bras at LB and VS...I have gone to a small boutique that specializes in fitting women into a great bra and I have paid a LOT more for my bra's, but I am happy with the style & fit now. I feel good in my bras!
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 223/213/199

I find it also depends on the stores.

In some stores, I fit into a 38 C but in a particular lingerie shop in Ontario (La Senza), I fit a 38 D. It's annoying...but it does vary!

I personally prefer the 38C sizing however DH begs to differ!

Last edited by Wifey; 07-15-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 385/339/140

Height: 5ft 7

I had big twins all my life I was cursed with them as they tend to run in the family I am so hoping they go down...
TracyB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #15  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

I don't think you can ever find your exact bra size. Every company's sizing is different. When I got professionally fitted, I left with a 38H. I tried to order another bra from an online store and it is WAY too small, but supossedly the same size.

European and Aussie companies are much more accomodating to larger sized bras, but this adds more confusion because their sizings are different from the US sizes.

I'm hoping I'll lose some of the girls (ok, I hope it's a lot!) by the time I get to my goal weight. I just want to be able to walk into any department store or lingerie store and buy something they have in stock. And don't get me started on swim suits!
Nella is offline   Reply With Quote