Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #1  

Default Calling all nurses

Just wondering if any nurses would be interested in starting a thread to talk about the stressful and rewarding profession we are all in.The difficulities being a full time (or part time)nurse/caregiver and trying to figure out how to put ourselves first.I look forward to talking to you.........I know "we" are out there somewhere.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #2  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

Sounds good to me!!

I work 12 hour night shifts and I've picked up 5 OT shifts up this month - and somehow I'm still able to do the 30 day shred every day and I'm on day 9 tomorrow. I know I'll finish the whole month! AND I haven't ordered food out in SO long... I only eat what I bring!

What about everyone else??
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Always take my own food. I work 8 hour shifts but stay over when needed for 12 hours. Lately, I work extra 3-4 times a pay period, but I could do it more often. I'm so tired when I get home, I'm sure glad I have food prepared ahead of time or I'd be afraid what I'd eat. I work on a postpartum/normal newborn nursery. Extremely busy. We average 15 deliveries a day with a 40 bed unit, so patient turnover is extremely high and we run all day. I've been a nurse for 32 years, so I'm not as energetic as I used to be.

Last edited by murphmitch; 07-08-2009 at 10:23 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 310/240/180

Height: 5'5"

I'm not quite a nurse yet. I just finished my final semester and am taking my capstone course now and will be taking the NCLEX in August so very soon I shall be part of this thread! Any NCLEX advice?
aphimira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #5  

NCLEX........hummmmm.I took the review course.I was first class 15 years ago to take computer boards.Our class had a large passing percent.I think they are pretty basic.That being said, always a good idea to be prepared.Try not to be nervous.I actually walked out thinking "was that it?".And I had worried way too much for way too long for nothing.You will do great.Oh by the way, I am an IV nurse.I place PICCs, aquapheresis lines and difficult peripherals.I love my job but always short staffed.Just had a bunch of layoffs.Never thought I would see that in nursing!!!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #6  

lol WOW that sounds like so much fun! Maybe some day that's what I"ll do. It seems as though no one wants to hire me because I'm a new grad. They want experienced and I don't have much of that to offer I know it will just take time and I think once I get that RN behind my name it might make a difference. We'll see!
I've been doing my practicum in an emergency department which is where I think I want to work, eventually but it's so crazy!! I've seen more in 2 months there then I have my entire nursing school!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #7  

Its been interesting watching the profession changes over the years.When I graduated 15 years ago, no body could find a job.Then there was a huge shortage.........now difficult to find employment again.It will change again.Many nurses have been offered early retirement due to cuts with the economy.Start wherever you can.I learned so much in a nursing home my first year, believe it or not.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #8  

Yeah...I'm thinking about that being one of my second jobs, PRN for my mother's work... they always need Bachelor RNs.

I'm considering taking anywhere but geriatric psych.... LOL I just want to learn and get paid, I love people so anywhere would be great!
Old 07-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphimira View Post
lol WOW that sounds like so much fun! Maybe some day that's what I"ll do. It seems as though no one wants to hire me because I'm a new grad. They want experienced and I don't have much of that to offer I know it will just take time and I think once I get that RN behind my name it might make a difference. We'll see!
I've been doing my practicum in an emergency department which is where I think I want to work, eventually but it's so crazy!! I've seen more in 2 months there then I have my entire nursing school!
My department won't hire any graduates until they pass their licensing exam. You have to have a couple years of critical care nursing here before you can get a job in the ER. Good luck on your boards. I heard the review courses are helpful. When I took boards (in the dark ages) it was paper and pencil testing (2 long days worth). Computer testing sounds so much better!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #10  

Today was my well needed day off.Thank goodness as I had to get all of my ceus together to renew my license.
Weather beautiful today after horrible storms in middle of night.
.........no excuse for not exercising today though!!
Thats a good thing about nursing, you get a lot of exercise in .I always feel lazy when I have a day off.
Have a great weekend!Anyone working sat and sun?
Old 07-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

Nope, after 32 years I finally have weekends off. I always get plenty of walking time when I'm working as our unit has a huge physical space which has me running in circles all day. I do feel like I'm lazy on my days off, so I try to spend some time on the treadmill those days. After working 12 hour shifts, I feel I have no energy for the gym.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #12  

So much for weekend off.Darn.On call nurse is sick.Will be filling in for her this weekend.Also work next weekend.SO...Off to bed since sleeping with my pager tonight.Have a great weekend all!