Old 07-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 255.8/238.6/135

Height: 5'2"

Question Dealing with Discouragement

These past few days have been rough. Iv been weighing myself on a day-to-day basis and I have been alright with seeing the small fluctuations up until now, when Iv watched myself go up almost 1 pound this week when Iv been following my diet perfectly. I know its probably just fluctuations and Im sure I will still be down in weight by next week, but it is still a bit discouraging.

How do you all deal with discouraging moments in the weightloss journey? What helps you all through these moments the most?
diesirae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

die, are you food journaling? If you know for 100% certainty you are ON PLAN with nutrition and exercise, don't fret. When I knew I was 100% ON PLAN (by food journaling and exercising daily) I didn't concern myself.

If you are not taking responsiblity for your choices and know that in your heart of hearts, that's another matter.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi Ms Chickie!

I really feel for you. I had an unexpected blip UP the scales, and posted pretty much the same sentiments. Blips can happen to the best of us, when we are 100% OP and are doing everything right. And some of us experience weight loss stalls, too, even though we are 100% OP and KNOW that we are doing the right things. It DOES get frustrating.

I guess the only thing that really helps me is to keep my eye on the long-term goal and NOT the short-term blips. Just stick the course, and it WILL work out. And be confident in yourself, because I'm pretty sure that you probably wouldn't be posting if you could identify the reason for the blip!

Keep us updated!

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 07-09-2009 at 12:01 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #4  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

That is why I like to weigh myself every 2 weeks. I like focusing on changing the habits, then I know the results will come. I did the same thing, I weighed myself and was up a pound. I've been diligent about calories, water, and exercise...I know how emotionally disheartening it can be...that is not worth it to me anymore. We both need to trust the process. Sending hugs and good vibes for accomplishing your dreams. Good luck.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I try to focus on what I can control.

I can control whether my eating is on plan. I can control whether I get my exercise in. I can control my water and sodium intake. All of these things have an INFLUENCE on the scale, but at the end of the day, I can't control the number on the scale directly. All I can do is behaviors that will, eventually, cause the scale number to go down.

So many things you can do that are GOOD for weight loss (like weight lifting) can cause upward blips on the scale, as can so many things that are weight-loss-neutral (like sodium intake and hormones). So if I am on plan and doing what I can to get the scale to go down, I really try not to worry if it doesn't for a bit.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

This is why I call myself a plodder. I know that I'm doing it right - I log everything I consume on sparkpeople - so I just keep my head down and keep on doing it. Also, I resist the temptation to weight daily, I can't cope with it emotionally.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I try to deal with discouraging moments by avoiding them. That sounds weird, doesn't it? While I weigh regularly, I try not to focus on my weight. I focus on sticking to my plan which is establishing healthy habits, trusting that if I stick with it, the weight will come off.

I remove as much emotion from this process as possible but have to admit that I find myself experiencing joy because I feel so much better than I did.

I have realistic expectations. I know that daily fluctuations are to be expected. I don't claim a new low weight until I see it 3 days in a row. I know that at my age, this is going to take awhile. At times I have gotten impatient but not really discouraged.

I have to look at the long term effects. I weigh 60 pounds less than I did a year ago. I feel so much better. On July 9, 2010 I will weigh less than I do today. There is no way that I can predict how much less, but it will be less. If I am tempted to let myself be discouraged, I remind myself of this.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #8  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

If you are feeling discouraged weighing daily, I'd take the batteries out of the scale or hide in under the bed where it would be a PITA to get on it! I weigh in daily, but I know that weight changes are natural and in no indication at all of a problem.

For example, since my "official" weigh in on Monday, I'm up 2 pounds this morning. I know this isn't a result of what I've ate or down (I've had a great few days). It is water retention and all sorts of other things.

Try to weigh in just once a week.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #9  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
I have to look at the long term effects. I weigh 60 pounds less than I did a year ago. I feel so much better. On July 9, 2010 I will weigh less than I do today. There is no way that I can predict how much less, but it will be less. If I am tempted to let myself be discouraged, I remind myself of this.
This is a great attitude! I love this quote and will write it down to remind myself.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

If weighing every day is too much for you maybe you should consider doing weekly or biweekly weigh-ins. Daily weigh-ins aren't for everyone. Take it one day at a time and remember there are fluctuations. You will do well!!
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #11  

There really is no 'one way'. I love weighing daily for the same reasons a lot of people hate it. I weigh myself sometimes throughout the day and I really feel like it has made me much more in tune with my body. I've seen my scale pop up over 5lbs in one day, then back down again. I like seeing the fluctuations, actually the regularity of the fluctuations. I know my weight will be up the week before my period (and way down right after), I know it will be up the day after vigorous exercise, up after salty meals, etc.
It was not weighing when I 'all of a sudden' was over 200lbs.
You're probably just seeing normal fluctuations. But...if you know you're on plan, but continue to see the scale inch up, it might be an indication that its time to change the plan. The only way you'll know before its too late is if you continue to watch.
Having said that, we're all different, so if this is giving you a headache, just don't do it anymore

Good luck
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #12  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

Everything they said. Also, when I go up for no apparent reason I focus on drinking water and reducing salt the next day, as that's often the cause.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #13  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I would really encourage you to only weigh once a week and to focus on other measures of success like the way your clothes fit and how you feel. Weighing every day can quickly spiral into an unhealthy obsession with the scale, where you find yourself weighing 5-10 times a DAY or more.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #14  
~jus' being me~

I would stop getting on the scale if that is the cause of frustration.

Also I try to remember that if in the moment of my greatest frustration I stopped doing what I needed to do to reach my goal (not just weight wise) then I have no idea what kind of potential I just gave away.

If you have not veered off your plan and the scale is not behaving then, so be it.

If in 6 months you are down 30 or 40lbs THAT is what you will remember, not the little blips along the way.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:58 AM   #15  

This is probably one of the toughest parts about dieting for me, too. I know it goes against our natural desire for results, but sometimes I think it's best to step away from the scale and breathe, only weighing yourself once a week or so. That way, you don't get the opportunity to worry about flucuations - you have focus on the big picture.

Like some of the other posters have said, it's really up to personal preference. But I know when I get discouraged, I have a tendency to backslide into bad habits. If the discouragement is getting to you to a point where it endangers your diet/exercise routine, I would say definitely step back and look at the bigger picture.

Regardless, you can do this! Everyone deals with frustration - but once you've reached your goal, these things won't seem as important
blue wind is offline   Reply With Quote