Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Exclamation Anybody with kids and they are afraid for their health?

Ok, I have a very healthy 10 year old (going on 11). But I am so concerned for him I am constantly reminding him that he needs to learn to eat healthy now.

I watched everyone of my brothers and sisters go from healthy children into obese adults! And it scares me for him.

My brothers used to take a mixing bowl and fill it with cereal and then eat it with a serving spoon. AT the time--they lived under "he's a growing boy". So no one really addressed the issue.

my brother and I were very thin, until we hit puberty and the pounds started to pack on. we remained at the lower end of the obese scale. I believe it was hormones and an underlying issue with insulin resistance that we didn't know about. Probably brought on by our excessive soda consumption.

my sister was always a little bit chubby. but quickly grew to morbid obesity. My youngest sister used to walk around with her own soda bottle drinking out of it--it was a 2 liter. She is considerably chubby now and I worry for her too. She is 13.

Here are some things that worry me about him. I see a similar pattern to eating that helped me get overweight as well as the rest of my family.

After he finishes eating something, he is still hungry or wants more.
He can be full from dinner but still want desert.
He ate a whole box of cereal in 3 days--just for breakfast
He is always asking for cookies, ice cream or the like

He is not allowed to drink soda because of the destructiveness to bone. I don't want him hooked on that junk either. He can have it on special occasions. Plus he is very active and sugar wires him very very bad. He used to have to be on meds.

I am afraid he is dealing with the same issue as me: Too much sugar in his blood, but not diabetic, because of insulin resistance which makes you crave more sugar because your body refuses to use the fat stores for energy. (The reason why he is always hungry or wants sweets)

I got fat off of loving to eat healthy. So I know a calorie is a calorie. instead of 1 apple--he eats 4 or 5. I do not keep juice or soda for drinks. I make green tea and he likes my tea so he gets to drink that or water or milk.

Does anyone else have fear for your children that they will end up as not healthy adults? Please share. I don't think I'm the only one.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #2  
Searching

I always kept things real low key for my son. I didn't want him to end up with my food issues. There was never a clean plate club in my house. Appropriate snacks, fruits and veggies were kept at arms length (his eye level). Every one in my house eats the same diet. So if I don't eat bread or ice cream neither does he. I find ice cream is much more a treat if I have to go out for it, but I do make exceptions for Popsicles He has learned to self regulate and is of a normal weight for his height (6'2 180 lbs) and I hope he continues to be an active man and an imperfect but not picky eater, as always.

My opinion is we concentrate too much on food with kids. More playing, more friends, less game boy or computer and their weight and the food takes care of themselves. I remember playing outside all day when I was a kid and dinner being like manna because we forgot to eat we were having so much fun.
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I was told all the time "eat healthy" but I never knew what that was.

How about buying cereals that are full of fiber? That can help fill him up more- and could he be eating out of boredom and not know it? Maybe he needs a breakfast with a bit more fat rather than carbs? Cereal does nothing for me, but a fried egg, cheese, and toast fills me up for HOURS.

Also, don't let him just BOLT down his food- I'm guessing he finishes his food in less than 5 minutes? Talk to him, sit him down, ask him how's school, friends, etc. Use smaller plates so if he fills it up more than once it's still less food. Maybe even say honey slow down! I used to shovel my food in my mouth!

I'd get rid of all the junk in the house- even if he eats 5 apples that's still not as many calories as 5 bowls with cereal and milk.

HE IS technically a growing boy and will eat a lot during growth spurts, as long as it's constantly healthy food he should be fine.

If he's hungry maybe ask him "are you sure you aren't thirsty? Drink a big glass of water and if you still feel hungry in 5 minutes I'll fix you up a snack."

I agree to encourage going out and playing more- would he like to join a sport or learn to skateboard? Or how about get some bikes and go bike reading each day during the summer?

Last edited by beerab; 07-06-2009 at 01:33 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #4  

Well, yes as a matter of fact he ate all of the high fiber cereal. I tell him I'm not buying him candy (fruit loops-high sugar/no fiber) for breakfast. I even buy him high fiber pop tarts.

and my son is REALLY active. He can not help moving around to just do something.

Yes! He needs to slow down on his eating. I taught him fast eating by mistake. I think he is falling into "subconscious eating" where he doesn't realize he's eaten until he's eaten too much.

I agree with everyone eating the same diet. well I used to have special foods for mom. But I don't really like that, because I want him to eat special foods too. Except he tends to wayyy overdo it on some of the healthy food I buy.

also my little guy is very skinny. He's very lanky with knobby knees and elbows. But that doesn't mean anything--me and my brother were too.

Last edited by jendiet; 07-06-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Well just don't be too hard on him- when my husband and his brother were growing up his mom said they went through a gallon of milk a DAY. And my husband is 6'3" and 200 lbs right now

I'm sure with you watching his diet he won't get out of control
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #6  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

My oldest is 8 and is like that if he is away from home ( my mom does not know the word "no" and if something hurts shove food at it)....when I started living healthy it was something that my DH and kids started with me. My 8 year old wolfs down food (thanks to my DH who is a former Marine) and if he comes begging for another helping I tell him to come back in 20 mins. If he really is hungry he'll remember, if not he'll keep playing.

Just lead by example
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #7  

i like that suggestion! Romance.

I started this thread so other moms could voice their concerns along with me if there are any others out there? anybody?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/239/155

Height: 5'8"

Yes, my 8 year old stepson lives with his mom and she is overweight, as is he. I believe he is over 100 pounds, I do not know how tall he is though. My husband has tried to get through to his son's mother about it but she does not see a problem. He has even offered to pay for karate lessons because it was something he was interested in but she just said 'oh he will probably quit after a few sessions.' He lives across the country so we do not feel like there is much we can do.
Jadebatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #9  

omg, Hugs! I would be beside myself not being able to help the poor kid. I do know for one thing the amount of activity DID NOT HELP my siblings. My brother was 6'5 (size 15 shoe) at 15 years old. He loved basketball. He played his heart out even though he was a little chubbier than the other kids--what's sad is he stayed chubby. Pretty soon. HE couldn't keep up. He got discouraged. He gained more and more weight. My brother was the skinniest healthiest little boy, a chubby teenager, then an overweight adult and progressed to high obesity. it was so sad to watch.

But I watched my mom work out so hard. She was at the gym doing aerobics 4 days a week. She weight lifted almost pro. She could bench close to 200 lbs. Yet she was still overweight compared to her peers. This was what terrified me. It seemed no matter what she did she stayed overweight. She did lose a tremendous amount of weight even down to a size 0 on atkins. I think it is because she was dealing with insulin resistance to and the atkins resensitized her body to it and made her use her fat stores. I had never seen my mom that skinny. She looked terrific.

My sister is a chubby teen now, that loves basketball, yet she is considerably heavier than the other kids on her team--so it makes it hard self esteem wise for her.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

I to have concerns for my kids. I first got rid of all the junk in the house. They eat what I eat period. I got them involved in meal planning, gorcery shopping, and food preperation. I also have inlisted thier "help" for me. If we are watching tv, during the comercials, we get up and dance or run around the room fast as we can picking up. I don't pressure them at all.
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #11  

ooh I like that. I pressure my son a little bit. But he's stubborn--like me. Plus, I wish someone pressured me more concerning my weight earlier on.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 255/239/155

Height: 5'8"

Sometimes kids just have to figure things out for themselves too, as sad as I'm sure it feels. My parents were always trying to get me to eat healthier when I was a kid but I was so stubborn I just ignored them. I wish I had listened to them now, though.

My daughter is 9 months old and I think the only hope I have with her is to just not have junk food in the house from the start. I know I can only protect her from bad foods for so long, though.
Jadebatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #13  

omg, I take this approach to an extent...but he sees me eating healthy food all the time--just too much. Very occasionally I will get icecream or cookies. Cookies are my major downfall-fudge striped shortbread the worst, icecream is my second--though my taste for dairy has diminished considerably since drinking almond milk. Milk was my HUGE calorie problem. I loved it. I drank it like crazy. Full fat.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #14  

Height: 5'4"

I have a 2 year old boy and a 3 year old girl. I am not worried about their health just yet, but I am worried that they will have an unhealthy relationship with food because I am their role model. I try not to force food on them and in fact, I think they can be good models for me. If they are not hungry, they just don't eat. If they are no longer hungry, they just stop eating. Of course, they love sweets and are always wanting cake and cookies and ice cream. When they know it's available as a dessert or whatever, we tell them they can have some if they eat some of their meal. But then I feel like I'm rewarding eating behavior, and making dessert like a forbidden food. I definitely don't want my kids in the clean plate club, but I worry about them getting all the nutrition they need. It's just a fine line, but I'm working more on letting them lead. They do tell me when they're hungry, and they do usually wolf down at least one meal a day, which is a reminder that they really do know their bodies.

I have noticed that my girl likes to join in when I exercise to videos because she thinks it's fun. I encourage them to be active, not hard of course at that age! I want them to just love moving, regardless of what they do. And I noticed that my girl would probably rather eat fruit-grapes, strawberries, watermelon-than chocolate. So I try to encourage that. And to see her just dig in to healthy treats like that really is an inspiration to me. I used to love produce too! What happened to me to automatically prefer chocolate over grapes? And can I acquire that taste again?

So yes, I do worry, but it's more about the way I teach them to relate to food than a current weight issue.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #15  

I know it is so scary when you realize you had an issue--and you are their role model. The first thing I did was NOT repeat the "clean your plate" mantra my dad did. I tell my son "if you are full--you do not have to eat that" I usually tell him he has to finish his protein source and his vegetable--but he doesn't have to finish all of his carb source.

If he says he's full--naturally he's too full for dessert. I am trying to make dessert more like fruit and whipped cream--instead of empty icecream or cake. We had fresh strawberries and cherries with whipped cream in a crepe shell with a tablespoon of icecream.

I want him to realize FRUIT is a sweet and a good dessert.

my son bikes, skateboards, and walks alot. He is always moving. He actually was dx with ADHD. It is very difficult for him to stop moving--sometimes annoyingly so. I took him off the meds and limit his sugar intake. He does great in school, so he doesn't need the meds. ...sometimes I wish I could put a "slow" button on him though. When he was your children's age--he was like a tornado. lol. I think it is cute your daughter likes to do the exercises with you. I still love going to classes with my mom when I visit them.