Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/105/105

Height: 5'4"

Question When To Weigh Myself?

Hello!

I don't know if this has been asked before, but I was wondering... what time of day is best to take my weight? I weigh myself every day... well, actually sometimes more than once, and I find that I weigh less in the afternoon for some strange reason. Should I take the first thing in the morning weight, which is almost always higher? Or should I take the lowest weight of the day? Which would you count?

MrsLovett
MrsLovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Just pick a time when you are comfortable (if you like afternoons that is fine) and be consistent. The idea is to try and weigh yourself around the same time every day. Beyond that, it doesn't really matter.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

I weigh myself once a week, on Tuesday mornings, after potty and before eating/drinking. I found that the normal fluctuations during the day/week were driving me batty, and once a week gives me a much better picture of what my body is doing.

I don't think it's important WHEN you weigh, just that it's consistent. If the afternoon works for you, then weigh then - just make sure the number you count is from the same time frame.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #4  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

I weigh on Friday mornings, naked after potty run, BEFORE anything else.
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/105/105

Okay... I'm trying to cut it down a bit, little by little. I'm a little obsessed with the scale And I have two scales! One's my regular digital scale, and one's my Wii Fit scale. My digital is usually a pound higher, depending. But anyway... I think I'll take the morning weight, just to be on the safe side, and try to start cutting back on my weighing. My dietitian kinda recommended it anyway.

MrsLovett
MrsLovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

good for you on cutting back! And I weigh everyday in the morning. I take my avgs for the week. That is how I can see my weight loss trend.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #7  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I was obsessed with the scale too. I was weighing up to 15 times throughout the course of a day. It was stressing me out badly and finally I had enough. Scale went bye bye. I won't say I will never weigh again but not for awhile, when I feel more comfortable to do so. I will measure my success (or God forbid, failure :|) by the size of my pants.

I do agree with the others, if you are going to weigh, be consistent and try to not obsess.

Good luck.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #8  
Almost there! 7lbs to go!

S/C/G: 165/137/130

Height: 5'8"

I weigh myself 1x a day, after I pee in the am... Usually wearing boxers & a t-shirt! I'd like to cut down to once a week, but my feet seem to lead the way!!! lol!!
Moralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #9  
i'm on my way

S/C/G: 143/136/125

Height: 5'5

I read that you should weigh yourself everyday if you are maintaining and once a week if you are trying to lose.

I used to work at WW and we encouraged the people to weigh in the same time each week and wear the same exact thing they wore the week before.

I'm trying to lose and I try to weigh myself only once a day, right after waking up and using the bathroom. I can weigh myself after eating (or after a shower or after exercise) and have a 5lb gain..which I know is not real, but it's scary.
sleepandfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I weigh the least in the morning so that's what I use. I weigh once a day. My husband weighs 2 (sometimes 3) times a day and takes the average.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #11  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I weighed once a week in the morning up until last Friday. This has been my first full week of maintaince and I've been having a hard time figuring out how many calories to add back into my diet to stay the same...so I've weighed every day this week. Oh, and since it was PMS/TOM I got some pretty wicked numbers that I had never noticed before since I was strictly a weekly weighin-er. Just don't drive yourself bonkers with the scale, it is so totally not worth it. There are so many more important things to do in life besides jumping on the scale several times a day.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 07-09-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #12  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I've actually started weighing in two times a day to keep accountable so I don't let myself go crazy- but that's probably cuz I started reading a book about food addiction and it's one of the things the book recommends- but it also says it's just a number and don't let it ruin your day. I try to not let it and since then the numbers are consistently staying lower than when I only weighed in weekly.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #13  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I generally weigh once a day, in the morning after peeing but before eating. I usually am wearing the same amount of clothes, too.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #14  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

In the morning after I pee, and in the nude.
=l
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #15  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

The thing about weighing yourself more then once a day or even more then once a week is that WE ALL fluctuate, not only day to day but even perhaps hour to hour. It all depends on where you are in your cycle, what you have eaten, what you are wearing, what you have drank, etc....so I think, at least for me, weighing once a week has worked. Since I know throughout the week how I FEEL (which is more important then any number on the scale), is a true sign of my progress.

I know that if I gain in a week, that makes me work even harder the next but I don't get discouraged....I just work harder. Ironically, when I WAS weighing daily and didn't see a loss or actually saw a gain, I would get discouraged a bit.
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote