Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default I can't believe I did that..

So I gave in to my craving of a waffle cone that I have been resisting for the past week. I feel really lousy. I feel like all my hard work for the day has disappeared. It wasn't even that good as I thought it would be. Maybe next time I crave it I will remember how it wasn't even that satisfying while eating.
abetterme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Don't be so hard on yourself, you're only human
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Alright, well, it's done. Put this in perspective - ONE waffle cone. Not the end of the world. And you learned a VERY valuable bit of information...that often, the memory of how you THINK something will taste is WAY BETTER than how it actually tastes.

So now, you've learned something, and it's time to move on. Jump right back on plan and remember what you've learned, and this will be just a minor blip in the road.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #4  
i'm on my way

S/C/G: 143/136/125

Height: 5'5

waffle cone isn't bad! you had a craving and fulfilled it with only that. it could of been a lot worse, especially if it spiraled into a full-blown binge.

i wouldn't be too worried! just get right back on tomorrow!
sleepandfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey21 View Post
. I feel like all my hard work for the day has disappeared.
It's important to realize that this is an irrational thought. Health and weight loss is a journey that is not made or broken in a single choice. It's choices bult upon choices upon choices.

All actions, even mistakes are learning opportunities. So you didn't have a useless day, you learned something about yourself, and about the lack of satisfaction indulging in this craving provided.

If you give in to "I blew it," thinking often the next step is discouragement which can set you up to give up, or to other irrational thoughts such as "since I messed up, I might as well eat whatever I want and start fresh tomorrow, or Monday, or next month....."

Learning, even from less than perfect choices (I think mistake is really too harsh a word in some cases), means you're moving forewards, not backwards.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/268/175

Height: 5'8"

Someone once quoted Jillian Micheals here and said "If you're driving down the road and you get a flat, you fix it and keep going. You do not slash all your other tires." Just remember, once you are back on track you will feel much better and it is just another lesson to be learned! It has been seven months for me and I've made choices that were not ideal many times. I do not let it derail me, I just get right back on the horse. Not the next day, the next time I eat I just make a good choice and then my day usually ends well.

My first slip-up was a small soft serve cone from DQ. I felt so rotten! I went home and did my daily plate for the day, I figured I had really screwed up and it's the only time I've really felt like just giving up. I found out that the cone had 230ish cals and that even though it wasn't a good choice, it didn't really screw my day THAT bad and I kept at it.

You're doing so well, Don't hold one little choice against yourself.

I'm cheering for you. Go You!!!
shrinkingleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:09 AM   #7  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

The key is not to let the little slip ups throw you off track. I know you feel bad but really you just have to shrug it off and keep going. Life is like that little things will get in the way but in the overall big picture of things it doesn't matter. Just remember the "It wasn't worth it" feeling for next time.

Last edited by Idealmuse; 07-09-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:36 AM   #8  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

I had a waffle cone on Monday... It was stale and just terrible.

As for you, it's great that you recognized it wasn't worth it!! I hope we're both able to overcome the lure of waffle cones from now on.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #9  
~jus' being me~

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingleah View Post
"If you're driving down the road and you get a flat, you fix it and keep going. You do not slash all your other tires."
Love that!
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

oh me too! I'm going to put that on my fridge! Along with "The only problem food can solve is hunger!"
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #11  

In those situations where i give in to a craving, i try to do it with my full attention. Is what i am eating really good? If yes, I continue eating. Do i fell satisfied? yes, i stop eating. Does this not taste as good as i thought it would. I pitch it in the garbage, hand it over to my skinny so. It took me a while to be able to do it but my rationale is that the cost is not worth putting unsatisfying calories in my body.
cestlavie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #12  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepandfood View Post
waffle cone isn't bad! you had a craving and fulfilled it with only that. it could of been a lot worse, especially if it spiraled into a full-blown binge.

i wouldn't be too worried! just get right back on tomorrow!
While I agree that *One* small waffle cone is not "BAD", the simple taste of sugar can set some up for a week long, (or longer) binge on the stuff. For any addiction, abstinence is the only reliable treatment.

So, what was going on in your head when you went to the ice cream store and ordered a waffle cone? What were you feeling? My advice is to pinpoint the trigger and work on avoiding or redirecting what ever emotion brought you to that place. Maybe you can stop at one small cone...I can't, and usually when I have a break down, it's self pity....or thinking I deserved it for some reason... I now realize I don't deserve to be fat, and that is a blessing.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Kelsey--I don't know what the terms of your diet are--if it's the calories or the carbs, but apparently there is a 50-calorie waffle cone by Keebler. I just found this web site last night, with low-calorie versions of high-calorie treats.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chew....php?isid=1799
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/149/105

Height: 5'2

omg, waffle cones are YUMMY! i used to eat the ice cream cone drumstick waffle cones and dump out the ice cream (thinking that would be less fat in my tummy) but man, that was so freakin good.

dont worry about eating that cone. its already done. if i ate that, id probably just work out harder the next day as my "punishment." lol.
joyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:11 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Thanks girls, for all the advice. You're right. There is nothing changing the fact that I had that cone so I just needed to move on and do better next time. It's great advice. I love that Jillian Michael's quote. It totally makes sense. As a lot of us do, I just tend to beat myself up over things when I screw up. Today was a much better day and everyone's advice and support really encouraged me to keep going.
abetterme is offline   Reply With Quote