Old 07-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #1  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Default 30 day shred -- experiences?

I've heard a lot of people talk about the 30 Day Shred program. I googled it, but wanted some personal opinions.

I'm debating if I should try it now or if I should wait until I've lost a little bit more weight. For my current activity I do lots of walking and play around with my aerobic step and my hand weights. I am not super coordinated (hence the reason I can only "play around" with my step -- I lack the skill to actually DO step aerobics).

Can someone describe it? Do you like it? Do you think it would be appropriate for me at my current level of fitness? In the past I have been very active and have even run a marathon, but that was 8 years and 80 pounds ago... I'm 29 now.
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I have it and I incorporate it into my workouts at least once a week. I normally stick to Level One but I am still getting a good workout without killing myself (too much, lol)
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #3  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I LOVE the shred and am still on Level 1. Three Levels, go up when you're ready, no fancy moves.

Double up on the sports bra to protect the girls but the moves are simple -- using hand weights with lunges, jumping jacks, ab crunches, running in place, push ups (on your knees OK), etc.

It was a real struggle when I started, but still such a great benefit.

I started it after a couple of months of walking and after starting stair climbing.

I'd go for it. No shame in stopping to catch your breath when you need to and at least you'll know you're getting a good workout with abs, strength and cardio.

Last edited by chickiegirl; 07-08-2009 at 05:08 PM.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I am doing the 30day shred currently and I really like it. I have to admit that I've not done any other workout tapes, so I can't compare to something else. It's difficult for sure, but definitely worth it so far. I am on day 18 today, L2D8. So far I haven't lost any pounds on the scale, but I've lost size! I have been doing it every day since I started and I actually look forward to doing it every day when I get home from work. I would definitely recommend it.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/Don't weight often/130

Height: 5'6

I am a huge 30DS advocate. It's great for so many reasons, you see results fairly quickly (I noticed my back and shoulders became really toned shortly after I started). It's really challenging at first but you build stamina and it does get slightly easier which helps with motivation. And the best reason- it's only 20 minutes!!!! If I pushed myself as hard as possible I would never come close to such a good workout in 20 minutes.

While it is incredibly hard at first (you will be sore, you will curse Jillian) I would actually suggest you don't wait to improve your fitness level, I would actually suggest you USE it to improve your fitness level before moving on to other more challenging things. I found after month 2 or 3 I wasn't really getting the same challenge out of it so I did have to move on to other things so if you start with the Shred, you'll get great results (looks wise and fitness wise) which I would think would help with your motivation with exercise.
There are modifications for most of the moves so you'll be able to do it even if you haven't worked out it years. Hope this Helps!
cooperistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #6  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

I do this one - I think I like it? I'm seeing results, and it makes me work! I'm getting ready to move on to Level 2 - we'll see what I think then. There's a group on the forum for this, as well as other fitness videos.

http://http://www.3fatchicks.com/for...ss-videos-178/

You'll see the 30DS thread near the top - fairly talkative bunch!

But I would say go ahead and try it - nothing wrong with pushing yourself, and you're young. If you've previously been in good shape, and do some weight work, you should be able to push into this one quickly. And Level 1 doesn't require much coordination - more in the way of pushups, lunges, crunches.
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Huge WOOT WOOT for the 30DS. I have many an exercise video in my days but 30DS really does the trick. You get the results and fast.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #8  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

I love it!!! I do it about every other day, as I do different exercises inbetween.
But you really see results fast.
Michelle1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #9  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I highly recommend it also!! And no prob being uncoordinated, as the previous posters said they are very basic moves, almost calisthenic-like.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #10  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Perfect! Just the sort of advice I was looking for! And I'll make sure to go check out the other thread in the workout DVD area.

Thanks, ladies! You're the best!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:18 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 150 lbs/ 140 lbs

Height: 5'7"

I started it yesterday....thought it looked reasonably achieveable because I used to be fairly fit and I still do a lot of walking and some jogging.
I'm sore today!
Obviously I havent been using my inner thighs much...lol.
Lunges and arm raises with weights???? Jillian Michaels is the devil incarnate...and if she weren't so darn cute I'd hate her.
But having said all that I'm looking forward to doing it again today. She knows what she's talking about and there are the easy and harder options to choose from.

Do it...you wont regret it (well not in the long run)!
Arlixia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #12  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

I've been doing the shred for a while now and I love it (except on days when I'm tired, then I don't love it so much). I was wondering though if anyone is doing the diet plan she brings up a couple of times during the videos. There was nothing diet related with the DVD I bought and I'm curious. Is it a book or some such?

Last edited by Sylvied; 07-10-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #13  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

She has a book, "Making the Cut" - I have it. It's interesting, and I've incorporated some of the diet pieces into my diet. I'm doing the video, so not following the workout part, though I may do some of that when I'm further along.
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #14  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

Ah...so it's just a reference to her books. I'm on hold at the library for them. I figure by the time it's my turn for them I'll be ready for some new inspiration and ideas.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote