Old 07-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #1  

Default Bridget Jones ?

Just finished watching Bridget Jones. Man, does this movie frustrate me! While I like it for being funny and romantic, her constant talk about needing to lose weight is a little frustrating. In the movie she weighs 136 pounds and wants to lose 20. I would kill to weigh 136 pounds!

Just a little mini rant to get it out of my system. Also, I am down to 238 today(almost). That is less than 100 pounds to lose now!
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

Yes, poor Bridget! Lets put some hurt down on her! hehe! Congrats on you wieght loss so far!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/149/105

Height: 5'2

i like that movie alot. and yes, when i saw her weight on the board, i was like "shes bitc&ing about that weight? **** no. thats nothing".
i do admire her for putting on weight for that movie.
shes more beautiful as a curvy girl.
nowadays, shes a stick.
why do some girls think that the stick skinny look is gorgeous? ok im ranting..ill shut up now..lol
joyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Haha that's how I feel about people who weigh less than 130 lbs and are like oh I'm so fat but yet do nothing about it. Bugs me to NO END- I'm like hello! 212 over here!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/Don't weight often/130

Height: 5'6

They did kind of blow that aspect of the story out proportion. In the book (which is a billion times better than the movie- you should read!!) she is just basically your average woman that isn't satisfied with her weight, her drinking, her job, her love life etc. I think the fact that Renee had to put on a "ton" of weight for the role made it seem like the weight was a big deal in the movie, it's not the point of the story at all...it's just about being unsatisfied with your position in life I suppose.

Last edited by cooperistic; 07-08-2009 at 02:17 PM.
cooperistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #6  

I'm so guilty of thinking that people that are skinny to me need to shut up about saying they need to lose weight. I'm trying not to let those thoughts creep into my mind. It makes me feel negative.

When I was a teenager, I got down to about 130 (from 145) by playing soccer. I still thought I was "fat" I'd love to even be below 200 now. I would do cartwheels at 199.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #7  

I have read the book( both in fact!) and I liked it a lot better. The movie did not do a good job of conveying that her dissatisfaction with her weight was separated from reality.

I also thought she looked better with a little more weight on her. I remember watching Chicago and thinking that she looked far far too skinny.

I would also do cartwheels for 199!
Old 07-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
In the movie she weighs 136 pounds and wants to lose 20. I would kill to weigh 136 pounds!
This is exactly why the 100 lb. Club is my favorite forum. I can not relate to those who are so upset over 10 or 20 pounds. Now, I am not criticizing them because if I had handled my weight when I was first 10 or 20 pounds overweight, I would not be needing to lose 100+ pounds. However, I can not relate to those people, not yet anyway.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #9  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

My sister is a 'Bridget' -- she's not vapid like Ms. Jones comes off in the movie, but she's got about 20 pounds to lose. She's 5'2" and happiest at 120, but stress has added 20 pounds over the last few years. When she complains about her weight I want to roll my eyes, but then I have to remind myself that everything really is relative. For her, 140 *does* feel huge. For me, 160 has felt pretty darn normal!

I also wonder if the Hollywood starlets really think the stick thin look is so desirable, or if it's more a matter of pressure from directors and producers (and Hollywood society) to achieve that particular look.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #10  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I remember being so annoyed when it came out, because the entertainment shows were going on and on about Renee Zellewegger's INSANE weight gain, how would she ever survive it, the team of experts it took to get her heavier and thin again LOL as if that's newsworth pfff I could put on 20 over a long weekend
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
I remember being so annoyed when it came out, because the entertainment shows were going on and on about Renee Zellewegger's INSANE weight gain, how would she ever survive it, the team of experts it took to get her heavier and thin again LOL as if that's newsworth pfff I could put on 20 over a long weekend

THANK YOU lol. I thought the same thing!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #12  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

I remember thinking I was fat --and then I had my first child. I was going through the clothes I had worn before my preganancy and I was shocked. I remember holding up this teeny tine sweater and saying to my Mom: I thought I was fat when I wore this? Talk about being divorced from reality!

Quote:
The movie did not do a good job of conveying that her dissatisfaction with her weight was separated from reality.
One's disconnect with one's weight and size is a good way to "show" that about a character.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #13  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I love the movie! And I think the point of the whole "I like you, just as you are" idea is that she really was okay as is. In the book which is written in diary form, she does bounce around in weight more, but it's all at the level I think all of us would maim kittens to be at.

And while today I find it challenging to understand the struggle of someone who is tortured over 20 pounds or less, I CAN remember (back in my teenage years) when I thought I was fat and, looking back, I wasn't. I had probably 20 pounds or less to lose then, now that I think about it. While our road is longer and complicated by factors those with only a handful of pounds can never understand, they share common traits with us: a need to get a handle on what they eat and a dissatisfaction with how they look. I think those are things we can certainly identify with even if we envy them!

Oh and one thing I keep telling myself: Maintenance will be just as long for someone who lost 20 pounds as one who lost 100+. But think about what we'll know we're capable of!

Last edited by CLCSC145; 07-09-2009 at 12:40 AM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 AM   #14  

I remember I used to think I was the hugest person ever when I was 12/13 because I was wearing a women's size 8/10 and got teased constantly about it. But I have been the same height since I was 12! I would kill to be in those sizes now.

Oh I love the movie too. Just the way they portrayed her weight(not just her perception, but others in the film perceiving her as larger) was a little annoying while I'm sitting here thinking that 135 pounds is below my goal! lol
Old 07-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #15  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

The thing is, even though we look at her (or women like her) and it makes us frustrated, annoyed, etc. that they "can't compare" to knowing what it's like to have 50 or 100 extra pounds to lose that doesn't diminish their feelings. Their feelings are still valid. They still feel the same way about their bodies as we do.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote