South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/251/150

Height: 5'5"

Default What's the story on Stevia?

I was just wondering if anyone here used it.. I couldn't find it on any of the food lists on SBD's website. I've been using it instead of Splenda or Nutrasweet.. I really would rather use a natural sweetener. I was just wondering if anyone knew the impact it has on weight loss.
PHinsUP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I think it's fine to use in place of Splenda or Nutrasweet. I purchased Truvia, but found I didn't like the taste.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/133/115

Height: 5'0"

I think that it would be better to use stevia than splenda and/or equal... (just from what I have heard.. not known fact) But, I dont like the taste of it personally. Use caution because a little goes a long way.. it kind of tastes like sweet n low to me.. but more of an after taste... :|

Last edited by moncheree; 07-07-2009 at 06:36 PM.
moncheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

This is definitely a personal choice issue and you will find many of us have different opinions. I don't ever use asparatame and rarely use splenda. On the other hand I don't much care for the taste of stevia, but my diabetic partner uses it frequently. When I use sweeteners I either use agave or erythrytol. I could give you my list of reasons but, as I said, everyone has their own take on this. My recommendation is to do some research. Watch the sites because there is a lot of nutty info out there about this topic, but there is also some good information. Figure out what matters to you and then make sure the taste works too. good luck
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #5  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I use it too. I have a stevia plant and made an extract from the leaves (didn't taste so great) but a leaf in a drink sure sweetens it up.

I also have some vanilla and chocolate stevia drops that are very good for "dessert" coffee or in yogurt etc.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 251/251/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks y'all for the info! I'm not crazy about the aftertaste but I can tolerate the taste of it better than the artificial sweeteners, I've thought about trying agave. I've always been a sugar fiend! so I need a healthy alternative
PHinsUP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:12 AM   #7  

I'm a Splenda user but I have a friend who swears by Stevia. I tried it but felt it was way too sweet for me. However, I'm one who doesn't like sweets, even before the decision to lose weight. Even when I was a kid, I was rather picky about the sweetness of things.

Good luck at finding something that works for you. Not just something you have to tolerate.

Last edited by SunshineCA; 07-08-2009 at 02:12 AM.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote