South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 455/434.5/225

Height: 6'3''

Default Pre-Packaged Wonder!

Just WONDERing. Are any of these pre-packaged microwave meals conducive to my weight loss aspirations. I mean are any of them really healthy?? It would be GREAT, because i mean Who wants to eat 2 boxes of DIET food...the guilt alone should keep me portion-conscious. The price ain't bad and the CONVENIENCE!! Sheer wonder... However, i know there's probably a drawback or 3. I just want to know how bad they are. And if there are any good ones...point me in the direction. Some of them look pretty darn delectable too! O wonderful Chick Helpers...help me... ....why do i love that carrot so???
TheRightWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Most of them are full of sodium and preservatives.

Kashi aren't bad. I've heard Amy's has a some decent ones.

Do you cook at all? How about doing batch cooking and freezing a bunch of small meals yourself? You can control what goes in them and get whole foods instead of processed junk.

ETA: But if frozen meals work for you for now then do it. Try to supplement with some fresh fruits and veggies and remember to drink plenty of water.

Last edited by zinkemomx2; 07-07-2009 at 12:16 AM.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:58 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Most of these meals are loaded with salt and non-South Beach ingredients. If you are to succeed on this plan, you must make a lifestyle change and learn to cook. There are several suggestions in your other thread.
Sorry but there are no shortcuts.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I suggest that you look through our recipe section and set aside a day to cook several of the meals, then portion them out into individual servings and freeze them to make your own personalized convenience meals to use throughout the week.

Avoiding pre-packaged and processed foods are what SBD is all about, since they are loaded with sodium, fat, and chemicals. Sorry, but cooking fresh, whole foods are the key to success on this plan.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #5  

frustration

Last edited by TheRightWeigh; 07-07-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Perhaps you should switch to calorie counting. South Beach is definitely not a fast meal plan.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #7  

my doctor chose it for me....
Old 07-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #8  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Pick a night/day once a week cook and package it up that's what I do. all that boxed crap is indeed crap
you can also do salad and portion out FF luncheon meat and cheese or tuna or beans
But there's no way to do sbd with an entirely packaged meal plan
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #9  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi

You mentioned in an earlier post that you were in college? Did you talk to the nutritionist or food service in your dorm?
What is your situation for the summer? Are you out of school? If your doctor recommended SB maybe he or she would have some ideas to help you along. Our hospital here has some diet pans and nutritionists. They also have a cafeteria where one can get a healthy meal every day.
Are there any cooking classes for guys in your area? Or someone who could help you learn to cook?
I have found that one of my biggest benefits eating on SB is that I have a new energy which improves daily. I believe it is because of the healthy foods and minimal processing.
Good luck! Keep searching for answers.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #10  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWeigh View Post
my doctor chose it for me....
While it's great that your doctor recommended it to you (I love SB), it's definitely not for everyone. I resisted going on it when I first heard about it too. If you can't work it into your lifestyle, you need to find another plan that you can and will use. Good luck!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/133/115

Height: 5'0"

I am sure like zinkemom said that the Kashi are wonderful! I have tried the AMYS and they are spectacular!!!!!! The Amys frozen meals are mostly vegetarian. They don't taste like the typical frozen dinners... they taste like homemade meals you have reheated very yummy.
BUT, for convenience for myself (and to save money..those pre packed foods are expensive.. and bad for the environment (more waste) I have a cooking day on Sunday. I cook a few meals and freeze them in gladware. Just a thought. .. its a lot cheaper and at least you know exactly what is in it.
moncheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Some Kashi's are SB compliant, but it's hard to estimate the grain servings in them, even if they appear healthy and some have sweeteners in them like evaporated cane juice. The Amy's, while organic, do not always have whole grains and some contain corn products or sweeteners. I do use some of the Kashi products and I love Amy's canned chili, but I never use the frozen meals.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
Some Kashi's are SB compliant, but it's hard to estimate the grain servings in them, even if they appear healthy and some have sweeteners in them like evaporated cane juice. The Amy's, while organic, do not always have whole grains and some contain corn products or sweeteners. I do use some of the Kashi products and I love Amy's canned chili, but I never use the frozen meals.
that is true, about the amys dinners.. you really do have to look at the ingredients.. :| Amys chili is REALLY yummy!!! I have only found a couple amys frozen dinners that I could have on SB... and they were both Indian meals. Very good though.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #14  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Well, the SB chicks are right in that homemade foods are the most nutritional and much better for you. Still, while you are learning to cook you have to eat. If you are going to eat prepared foods, become a label reader. Check out fats, sodium, sugars, carbs to see if they are reasonable. Try to avoid products with a huge list of ingredients that you can't even pronounce.

Some suggestions:
  • Healthy Choice new All-Natural line. (I just LOVE the pumpkin squash ravioli and have it occasionally for a treat)
  • Check out the produce section of the grocery. Pick up bag lettuce mixes, cut up veggies, baby carrots, etc.
  • The grocery salad bar also has a lot of good options for portion controlled veggies & fruit. Add some LF bottled dressing.
  • Buy a few cans of Goya beans (try some different types). Rinse well & put some (1/3 - 1/2 c.) in your salads.
  • Canned no salt added veggies such as green/yellow beans are quick & easy. They're also good cold in your salads.
  • Bagged, cooked chicken breast such as Purdue Short Cuts are a quick protein & tasty in salads. Get the natural/original flavor.
  • Original/traditional flavor store rotisserie chicken...get rid of the skin. These do contain more sodium & fat than if you baked a chicken yourself though.
  • Frozen veggies. Lots of different kinds & combos available. Get the kind without sauces/butter.
While these things are good in a pinch, a diet based solely on these things will get old & boring fast. I would suggest checking out the recipes here. Also, the SBD Quick & Easy Cookbook has recipes that are simple to prepare with few ingredients. Good luck!
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #15  

awesome info mizski