Old 07-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Sooooo H-u-n-g-r-y!

Okay, so for the last two days I've been goning over my calories, I'm aiming for 2000. Yesterday it was by 200 or so. Today it was 400 or so. I've been very careful about watching the calories (I log right afterwards) I've been eatting and at snacks I'm going with carrots or an orange or pear. My meals seem pretty well balanced. Easy on fat, balancing carbs and protiens but the last few days I've been sooooo HUNGRY! I thought it was just in my mind so I'd distract myself, go for a walk, go to bed early, read, etc., but still felt hungry. So I'd go grab another orange. I'd still be hungry so I'd grab a slice of bread or granola bar. The "extras" I know are what putting me over.

It peaked tonight at dinner. We had chicken stirfry, and I was careful to measure out my food. DH ate a little over half of his, I ate ALL of mine plus some of his leftovers. The chicken and rice bumped my cals WAY over and I knew they were going to... but I felt SOOOO hungry! I stopped from eatting ALL of the leftovers. I don't feel hungry... not full but not hungry. Nice middle road.

My workouts started with a 20 minute walk around the neighborhood and I've been doing the Shred workout video (strength training, cardio and abs) everymorning for the last 4 or 5 days and trying to add an extra 20 minute walk at night, to increase my activity.

My question is... IS it in my head? Its only my first week and I'm thinking its some sorta mind block I'm having but its driving me insane! Did anyone else go through this? Any advice would be appreciated! TY!

Last edited by TaraLee; 07-06-2009 at 06:47 PM.
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Can you give us an example of what your day looks like foodwise? You probably shouldn't be hungry at that calorie level. You mentioned easy on fats, but I find that fats help me stay "un-hungry". For example, if you are having carrots for a snack, have a few nuts or a piece of string cheese too. But I would take those calories from one of your meals rather than going over 2000.

Edit to add - Also, how do you define hungry?

Last edited by CLCSC145; 07-06-2009 at 07:37 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

I eat about 2000 calories a day, and I definitely can be hungry on that. Although I love fruit, I can't eat it on it's own - that will make me more hungry. I agree with the previous poster, give us an idea of what you're eating. For myself, I find the hunger more maintainable on higher protein / fat, lower carbs. A really basic example of my daily meals.

Breakfast: egg/egg whites, fruit, toast (higher protein or multi-grain) with butter or jam
Snack: beef jerky
Lunch: multi-grain wrap with mustard/lettuce/3oz of cooked meat, fruit
Snack: hummus and flatbread (sometimes carrots)
Dinner: generally some type of protein and vegetables (rarely pasta, rice or potato)
Snack: fruit, protein shake

The protein shake before dinner seems to keep my stomach from rumbling. Late night eating used to be a huge problem. An example of a stir-fry I would make (for each) would be 6oz steak or chicken (marinated) with 2-3 cups of veggies. I don't bother with the rice, or if so, just serve it to the others eating. If DH isn't eating his full portion then perhaps you're making too much (just something to think about).

Oops - should have added, that sometimes adding intense exercise can make you more hungry. I tend to add just under 300 calories on the days I lift weights, but it's in the form of a protein shake with fruit. Not just more food.

Last edited by RealCdn; 07-06-2009 at 08:26 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #4  
~jus' being me~

I'm with Anne . . . I too need more protein, particlularly with the insulin resistance and try and go easy on high GI carbs (rice - egads! love the stuff but my blood sugar doesnt so much) or balance them with protein in a meal.

Apart from food itself, I try to be more mindful when I am eating these days so that I dont get home from work, inhale my dinner and then sit there thinking "Now what?".

Have you considered adding soups into your day? I find a bowl of broccoli love (just broc and stock) is deeeeeeeeeeeeeelish and really filling for me.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #5  

you need protein and good fats to help you feel full too! alot if fruits will just raise you blood sugar then make you hungrier after wards
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

I definitely need protein and fats every time I eat. And, I find I do better eating 6 small meals instead of 3 larger ones.

Seriously, If I don't balance my calories EVERY time I eat, I can be a ravenous hungry beast!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #7  

Okay, here's a daily menu idea:
Breakfast is generally 1c Special K w/Berries and 1/2 C 1% milk, than I have a fruit snack before lunch. Lunch would be a tuna sandwhich w/fruit and carrot sticks, than another snack like celery w/peanut butter and a piece of fruit than dinner, which like tonight was Chicken and Veggies w/rice, last night it was spaghetti, salad and green beans. And than fruit for snack again. And it was working fine for week 1. The last couple days I've added like a slice of bread and a teaspoon of peanut butter for a snack and an extra piece of fruit. I do A LOT of fruit.

And by hungry I mean a feeling in my stomach that tells my head "time to eat". But I'm thinking its a false sensation like its really only my mind telling my stomach but its so hard to tell.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #8  
~jus' being me~

I actually do get that belly (real) hunger from fruit, always have even when I have been at a lower weight . . . I dont know what its about.

OK, how do you feel about adding in after breakfast maybe a handful of almonds or a low fat string cheese or yoghurt w/fruit? . . . and eating the peanut butter with an apple?

Bump up the protein & veggies a little more at lunch and dinner and go easier on the pasta and rice (or choose wholewheat or other grains that pasta can be made from . . . or try some quinoa where you would use rice) and maybe stick to lower GI fruits for a few days and see if that helps at all. . . . if you are sensitive to rises in your blood sugar the fruit could be doing it.

?

My motto is generally if you are hungry (that real hunger) you need to eat. If its happening for days on end then it may mean what you are eating needs some fine tuning is all. I dont think you will feel like this forever
Old 07-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #9  

Thanks. I am definitly going to give that a try. I'll cut out the fruit except for maybe with breatkfast and add in the apple and peanut butter snack (sounds yummy) and tomorrow nights dinner we'll make low-low carb.
I had no idea fruits could cause that.
Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Tara, it might be helpful if, along with the daily menu, you gave us your calorie breakdown for each meal and snack. Because unless your portions are way larger than I'm guesstimating or you're eating 1000+ calorie dinners, I'm not seeing where you're getting 2000 calories from this daily menu.

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #11  
~jus' being me~

Who knows what it is, maybe someone w/some more detailed dietary knowledge can shed some light on it for us, but hey it doesnt hurt to give it a whirl!

And I think the small changes above can easily be incorporated into your current plan so its not too radical and the calorie counts should be close.

btw I loooooooooooooooooove a tart granny smith apply w/ peanut butter. So. Good. I have even had it with some finely shaved parmesan (nix the PB) . . . insanely good.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #12  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

I hope you don't mind my saying so, but your breakfast would have too many carbs for me. Like so many have already stated, I need fat and protein. So, breakfast is usually a one egg omelette (about 1/2 cup veggies) fried with 1 tsp of olive oil.

For lunch, when I have a wrap, I include 1 Tbsp of hummous (but no mayo or other fat) with my lean meat.

I'm on a portion control plan for 1600 calories. I'm "allowed" two portions of fruit a day.

I'm also allowed two portions of Dairy--so often I'll have 1/2 cup of low-fat yogurt with the fruit--or cottage cheese.

Try combining your fruit with some protein and reach for a healthy/fat protein options more than the carbs/fruit options and see how it goes. If your still hungry for another week, you may need to add in a few more calories.

I almost forgot--you are drinking water, though, right? Whenever I'm really hungry, I grab a pint of water. If I'm still hungry after I drink it--then I have a snack.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #13  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I try to have protein with every single meal/snack. If I eat just fruit on it's own then I tend to get hungry very quickly.

Special K is kind of a crap empty cereal. What about starting your day with some Kashi go lean? Or Optimum cereal? Maybe a whole grain mini bagel with laughing cow cheese and a banana?

Lunch for me HAS to have a LOT of protein. So I'll do a tuna steak, an entire can of tuna, a chicken breast ... that sort of thing. I do love my protein shakes too to stave off the hungries.

One thing that helped me is making sure that all of my grains are WHOLE grains and not white. The white flours, grains, rice make me think I am starving!!!

Good luck. Let us know how else we can help!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #14  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Fat is actually really key for your body's satiety response - having protein and fat with every meal and snack will keep you full, longer, and help your body realize you have had enough nutrients as well.

I'd recommend adding in more vegetables in place of some of the carbs and adding some nuts or eggs in for breakfast. That should help your hungry feeling a bit. For what it's worth, the eating plan I follow is focused entirely on lifetime eating changes and NOT feelig hungry or diety. It's "The Don't Go Hungry Diet" by Dr. Amanda Sainsbury-Salis, and may be helpful to you. She has a great website as well.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 320/*ticker*/145

Height: 5'6"

I know exactly how you feel Tara. I had one day last week like that, I also have a goal of 2000 calories and ate about 2300. That day I just felt so hungry and I couldn't understand why. The previous few days were great. I was actually under.

When that happens, just don't let go. It's sooo easy to say "I already messed up, I might as well eat ___ too". But don't. You can make it up. If you're average for the WEEK is still on track, you did good, just remember that. You didn't fail. You still have the opportunity to get back up and keep going. *hugs*
sakurasky is offline   Reply With Quote